The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
sig-9

Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting opinions?

Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting opinions?

I am looking at a Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting 12ga. 30" new.
I am looking at this for sporting clays (& some skeet).
I plan on sending it to Ken Rucker to have a Bump-Buster but on it if I get it.

Any opinion on the Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting?
Old December 29, 2009, 07:37 PM   #2
tristar viper

I have an opinion. My opinion is that Browning makes great stuff, I've shot a number of them but not that particular one. I personally do not think you can go wrong with any Browning Shotgun. Good stuff.
If someone disagrees they'll let me know
Old December 29, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
If you haven't shot one yet, you might want to in order to ensure it fits you pretty well. Getting fitted would be a good idea BEFORE you send it off for a pad - that way the pad can be installed to the proper LOP, cast, toe and heel dimensions, etc.......
That's my response to your same question on the other forum
Old December 30, 2009, 01:16 PM   #4
BigJimP

It might help us to know how much experience you have with Skeet and Sporting Clays and how many O/U's you've shot or owned / what if your primary gun now for Skeet and Sporting ...to make a better recommendation.

Do you know what stock dimensions you need - drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull, overall weight .....

I'm a big Browning fan ( and own about a dozen Browning O/U's - all one of the Citori models ) - but I've frankly never been able to warm up to the Cynergy look and feel vs the more traditional look and feel of the Citori lineup. But having said that - I think the Cynergy has been around long enough now to know that he barrel connection system they developed for it has certainly proven to be solid / so I don't think there is any reason not to like the Cynergy vs the Citori in terms of longevity.

But a couple of points ...
1. Cynergy Classic Sporting - has an angled comb. In 30" barrels it weighs in at 7lbs 13 oz and list price is $ 3,639. It comes with 3 chokes is all. If you go with the adj comb option gun will weigh about 8 lbs 9 oz and list price is $ 3,969. On an angled comb gun / an adj comb rises at the same angle of the comb ( so it doesn't level out the comb ..). You don't need an angled comb gun to shoot Sporting / but like above ( what dimensions fit you ) ...

2. Citori XS Special, 30" barrels, weighs about 8 lbs 10oz - has a parallel comb, comes with the adj comb and 5 chokes - and list price is $ 2,989 so almost $ 700 cheaper ......but it has a "flat finish on it" that I don't personally care for...

3. Citori XS Skeet model, 30" barrels 7 lbs 15oz without adj comb at list price of $ 2,989 / with adj comb 8 lbs 4 oz list price $ 3,319 - so its $ 600+ cheaper as well ...... Comes with the typical high gloss Browning finish / but only 3 flush chokes - so you'll need to add some ( I like the Browning Midas extended chokes - about $ 50 ea / and for all my guns I carry 2 Cyl, 2 Skeet, 2 IC, 2 Mod, 1 Imp Mod, 1 Full - so I carry 8 in a fishing lure plastic box in my vest / 2 chokes in the gun ..). So some of the difference in list price is the extra chokes / different chokes. There is a Diana grade choke - which is a little more money too ...

For my money, the best gun of the 3 I've listed is the Citori XS Skeet with the adj comb factory installed. But XS Spl and XS Skeet both have parallel combs ...

Before you pick a gun / you need to know what stock dimensions fit you.

In terms of the Ken Rucker hydraulic recoil system .... I've never tried his sytems / but I do have a Gra-Coil system on one of my Trap guns ( Citori XT model ). I've tried GraCoil and others on my Skeet and Sporting clays and hunting O/U's .....and I felt like they all delayed my 2nd shot vs the more traditional recoil pads. On Trap, like Continental and Doubles Trap, where you can fire a 2nd shell, I still like the Gra Coil ... but on all kinds of Trap there isn't as much barrel movement left and right as there is on Sporting, hunting birds, or in Skeet. No matter what gun you buy / unless you have a lot of experience ( like 20,000 shells experience ) with a recoil system - hold off on it would be my recommendation.
Old December 30, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
sig-9

Thanks for the input.
I went today & played with the Cynergy & the Citori.

I didn't like the feel of the Cynergy Sporting. T
hen picked up the Citori Grand Prix Sporter 30" and it felt nice. Just felt right in my hands & it sighted very well for me every time I put it up.
Long story short, I bought it!

& I have an appointment with "the right guy" to do the fitting. He is about a 2 hour ride but he is well respected & trusted around here. (I'm one of those short guys that need the stock custom fitted. (It will need cut about 3/4" or so).

BTW: both the Cynergy Sporting Clasic & the Citori Grand Prix Sporter are on special buy that some dealers are taking part in.
The Cynergy Sporting Clasiclist for about $3600 & is on special for $1799. But I think they are sold out at my dealer.

But I went with the Citori Grand Prix Sporter that list for $3579 but only paid $1699 NEW & I get $150 of amo paid for by Browning.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:01 PM   #6
sig-9

Okay. I got 2 PM's wanting to know where I got this smoken deal.

Citori Grand Prix Sporter (list $3579)
paid $1699 NEW & I get $150 of ammo paid for by Browning

Tanners Sports Center
Jamison, PA 18929