The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2010, 01:28 PM   #26
asavo757

using he 40 fcd after 357 fcd-I find the carbide sizer ring is a little tighter than my rcbs 40 sizer and it sizes the case a little lower(helps with glock bulge). I've never had a problem with it loosening bullet heads. I will keep an eye on that.
Old May 3, 2010, 02:38 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
using he 40 fcd after 357 fcd-I find the carbide sizer ring is a little tighter than my rcbs 40 sizer and it sizes the case a little lower(helps with glock bulge). I've never had a problem with it loosening bullet heads. I will keep an eye on that.
The bit about loosening the bullets is just conjecture, it may not create any problems at all.

Have you tried using the FCD or a 40SW carbide sizer BEFORE the Sig sizing die? Doing so eliminates the need for lubrication (unless you're already using the pricey 357sig carbide dies) and should have the same essential effect as putting it through last, except without the extra step.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:28 PM   #28
asavo757

I size with my 40 rcbs carbite sizer than 357 steel sizer.Thats the way to do it no lube!

Anybody else using longshoot for 357 sig?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:48 AM   #29
snuffy

Quote:
I've never had a problem with it loosening bullet heads. I will keep an eye on that.
Whats a bullet head?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 4, 2010, 08:59 AM   #30
freakshow10mm

Same thing as the bullet tip.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:52 PM   #31
asavo757

snuffy

You don't know what a bullet head is ? You know the top part, that comes out of the gun. You know when gun goes bang-bang!!!!!!! Just fooling with you!
Old May 7, 2010, 12:44 AM   #32
snuffy

Quote:
You don't know what a bullet head is ? You know the top part, that comes out of the gun. You know when gun goes bang-bang!!!!!!! Just fooling with you!
Yes, it's called a bullet! You're the one that don't know proper terminology. A cartridge is NOT called a bullet! It can be called a cartridge, shell, or as the military calls it, a round. A bullet is what leaves the barrel, not the head!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 7, 2010, 12:58 PM   #33
jeffreybehr

asavp757: "Anybody else using longshoot for 357 sig?"

I bought my 1st 357 pistol last week and started reloading for it this week. I scoured all the manuals and other data sources I could find and assembled a listing of loads with 124/125g. and 147g. bullets into an Excel spreadsheet. Seeing all these data reinforced my impression that Longshot would be a good powder with both 124/5- and 147g. bullets.

I've tested a few combinations with my 4.5"-Lone-Wolf-barreled Glock 32. I used Berry's 124g. plated HPs and Hornady 124g. XTPs, mixed-brand once-fired nickle-plated cases, and F100 primers. Powder charges varied from 8.0 thru 8.8 grains, with 10-foot velocities ranging from 1362 thru 1427FPS.

I've also tested WSF and 800-X.

I'll send an image of my reloading log if you e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net, and I'll send anyone the speadsheet of published data if anyone e-mails me.

Last edited by jeffreybehr; May 7, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:22 AM   #34
Jim243

Well I finally got out the 357 Sig cases and now I understand what you guys have been saying about the barring surfaces on the bullets. Took out 5 different 9 mm bullet types and this sucks. The only ones that I have that will work are the Berry plated 124 grain 9s the other 4 will defenately have problems. Need to order the Hornaday XTP's.

Thanks to you all for your help, without it I would really have been up the proverbial creek.

Best wishes
Jim
Old May 8, 2010, 09:27 PM   #35
Jim243

Thanks guys - first dummy made

Jim
Old May 30, 2010, 03:27 PM   #36
Elkins45

Quote:
But, the gun writers and factories still persist in claiming that this cartridge NEEDS to headspace on the mouth, and ignore this potential improvement.
As a practical matter, almost all auto pistols really headspace on the extractor. There was an article in something I read 20+ years ago by a fairly respected writer where he kept trimming back 45 ACP cases and shooting them until he got a misfire. You would be amazed how short the cases had to be before he started having trouble with misfires.

It seems that the extractor held the case head against the breech face in spite of the fact that the front of the case wasn't bearing against the chamber.

Honestly, if bottleneck rifle rounds headspace on the shoulder then why can't bottleneck pistol rounds? It seems to me the real problem is setback, not headspace.