The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2019, 02:58 AM   #26
armoredman

Another Shaker and Baker here, in a $5 Goodwill toaster oven. Properly sized and powder coated, leading is very, very minimal. Usually the barrel looks bright.
Old October 26, 2019, 07:34 AM   #27
res45

I started powder coating probably around four years ago, best move I ever made. I still use my lube sizer on occasion and it always nice to have a backup system besides the old style tumble lube I used to use.

I never had any leading issued to begin with before I started powder coating bullets. What powder coating for me does is it allows me to coat and store lots of bullets out in my shop without having to deal with environmental conditions and my gas operated rifles gas systems love them too.

I started out with Harbor Freight Red & Yellow and spraying my bullets but switched over to Shake & Bake once I discovered the method that worked best for me an never looked back. I even apply my gas check now before coating and final sizing as it make it much easier to get them on without any fuss. Cleanup after shooing lots of coated bullets in a day is just basically removing any powder residue with a little solvent and a couple dry patches.

Old October 27, 2019, 11:14 AM   #28
dahermit

Quote:
I still use my lube sizer on occasion and it always nice to have a backup system besides the old style tumble lube I used to use.
If you, as you implied, do not use your lube sizer but on occasion, how are you sizing your bullets after powder coating them? I powder coat all my bullets, but I still size them (no grease lube applied), in my Lyman 4500 lube sizer.
Old October 31, 2019, 11:33 PM   #29
res45

Quote:
If you, as you implied do not use your lube sizer but on occasion, how are you sizing your bullets after powder coating them? I powder coat all my bullets, but I still size them (no grease lube applied), in my Lyman 4500 lube sizer.
I have both Lee and NOE push through sizers. I used to use Alox/ JPW lube pre powder coat days before I had my Lube A Sizer which I picked up used with ten sizing dies for $80 at a sale. It's much easier to just use the push through sizers for sizing powder coated bullets than changing out the sizing die in the RCBS every time I need to do a size change.

Last edited by res45; November 1, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old November 1, 2019, 12:05 PM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I have both Lee and NOE push through sizers. I used to use Alox/ JPW lube pre powder coat days before I had my Lube A Sizer which I picked up used with ten sizing dies for $80 at a sale. It's much easier to just use the push through sizers for sizing powder coated bullets than changing out the sizing die in the RCBS every time I need to do a size change.
I already had the G,H, and I sizing dies for all my different cast bullets when I used NRA Alox (all my cast are now powder coated and have been for at least four years or so), , so I use the Lyman sizer (and swap out the dies), instead of buying any additional push-through dies.

Last edited by dahermit; November 1, 2019 at 03:24 PM.