The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1
nkielborn

cleaning

i know how everybody loves to clean their guns. but how often should be this done. should you clean it every time its fired or every so many rounds. just wanting peoples thought. thank you
Old November 19, 2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Ranger Al

I cleaned wipped the outside parts if I didn't fire a shot. If I did fire some shot, I would clean the inside of the barrel and external part at the end of the day. After the end of the season, I would do a complete strip of the gun and have thin layer of oil onto the barrel. I've found out a perfect stuff to keep moisture out of the fun or those silica packages the kind you found in your new shoes will keep moisture away from your gun.

It is seem like dust and moisture seem to be my most concern. I have a few other guns I like but don't shoot it as often but still need attention once in a while (wipe it down with "hoppe's).

good luck and keep those gun shinny!

Ranger Al
Old November 19, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
OJ

I clean my 1911 once or twice per month - but I shoot 50 - 100 rounds per week (clean ammo). Rifles, I clean every time I shoot (50 - 60 rounds) for centerfires and for the rimfires, I use Bore Scrubber sprayed in and a bore snake every 400 or 500 rounds.

Works for me. YMMV.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old November 19, 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
chupps

I'm not comfortable removing the trigger assembly on my Remington 870. What I have been doing is spraying Break Free Powder Blast in there and then a light shot of Rem oil spray. Is this a good strategy? I probably only go thru 200 rounds per year. thanks
Old November 19, 2006, 06:50 PM   #5
clayshooter2u

I shoot allot of competition Sporting Clays , and more practice. If you take CARE of your equipment your equipment will take CARE of you. Especially if you want to resell or trade up. IMHO
Old November 19, 2006, 08:38 PM   #6
skeeter1

True words

Quote:
If you take CARE of your equipment your equipment will take CARE of you.
My dad always implored me to clean my firearms every time I shot them, and I think he was right. The oldest one I have is 44 years old and still looks and shoots like new. He was a smart old bird!
Old November 19, 2006, 09:11 PM   #7
9mmMike

I clean my guns after every outing. It is a good time to inspect parts to make sure everything is okeedokee. I mostly shoot 870's & Glocks though and these are very easy guns maintain.
I also do this with my 700 LTR but rifle cleaning is more of a pain IMHO.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!