The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 19, 2018, 04:43 AM   #1
chrisintexas

How to break in new pistols?

What’s your method/s to break in new pistols?
Thanks so much.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:23 AM   #2
PSP

Read the manual, clean the gun, properly lube it, go to the range and shoot.
Old July 19, 2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Targa

X2^^
Old July 19, 2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Wishoot

Clean and shoot.

Repeat often.
Old July 19, 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
craddleshooter

i don't clean before i shoot, i see it as way to test the factory setting and capabilities. i put two clips through it, clean and head back home.
Old July 19, 2018, 11:16 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...i don't clean before i shoot..." Your shift key is defective. All new firearms are shipped coated in a rust preventative coating that needs to come off before shooting. That includes the magazines.
There is no need to "break in" any firearm. As mentioned, field strip, clean, load or buy some ammo and go shooting.
Old July 19, 2018, 03:46 PM   #7
insman1132

So how many rounds is the min. # you writers feel comfortable shooting when you determine the gun is reliable??

Many people on these forums refer to 100 + rounds. My local Sheriff Dept. says 50 rounds.

Anybody have an opinion?
Old July 19, 2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Most sources I've seen say a minimum of 500 rounds with no stoppages is the criterion for establishing reliability if the gun will be used for carry/personal defense.

For a range toy? Whatever floats your boat.

But there's a big difference between "break-in" and establishing reliability. Some of the premium 1911 makers (yes, I'm talking about Les Baer) won't talk to you about malfunctions unless/until you have put at least 500 rounds through the gun. To me, that's unacceptable. If I buy a new car and it keeps stalling every half mile going down the road, I'm not going to wait for 500 miles to show on the odometer before I take it back the dealer to fix it. I buy a car to take me from point A to point B. I buy a gun to send a projectile in the general direction I'm aiming when I pull the trigger. Both are machines. If either machine doesn't perform the intended function, it's defective and should be repaired or replaced by the maker.
Old July 19, 2018, 05:16 PM   #9
FITASC

Establishing reliability might take many rounds - it will depend on how many different types of ammo you intend to try to see which ones function best and give you acceptable accuracy
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 19, 2018, 07:32 PM   #10
tallball

Field strip it, clean it, lube it, fire 200-300 absolutely trouble-free rounds through it, and I'm good to go.
Old July 19, 2018, 08:36 PM   #11
PushPuller

As everyone else has said. clean and lube it. But I personally wouldn't consider a gun reliable unless it can shoot 1000+ rounds without a stoppage for nightstand/carry. a couple hundred rounds is plenty reliable for a range gun. That may be excessive but many guns iv had experience with could easily do that.
Old July 19, 2018, 08:46 PM   #12
Dufus

I just put 150 rounds thru the newest SD9VE last weekend. From experiences with the other three, I deem this one ready to go.
Old July 20, 2018, 07:35 AM   #13
darkgael

Reliability

Reliabity testing. It is a pipe dream. Test a gun all you want....two magazines, two boxes of ammo, ten boxes of ammo.....a firearm is a mechanical device. A mechanical device will fail sooner or later. There is no predicting when only that it will.
Shoot 500 trouble free rounds through your gun. There is no guarantee that the gun will not malfuncton on the 501st. In fact, the more trouble free rounds that you shoot the more lkely the gun is going to fail on the next shot (whenever that is)
Old July 20, 2018, 03:14 PM   #14
KY_blkout

I dont think I've ever cleaned a gun before shooting it, maybe I should but I probably wont start now. I just clean after shooting and if I wont be shooting for awhile i put it away a little wet. Never had any problems.
Old July 20, 2018, 03:27 PM   #15
UncleEd

Some guns are shipped dripping oil/preservative;
others not so much: some are dry as the
proverbial bone.

Recently took in a Beretta 92FS. It was dry.
I lubed it a bit and now believe it's ready for
testing, extensive shooting.

When the gun comes dripping wet, I'll wipe
the goo/oil off and relube it, oil it.

Since revolvers don't actually need a lot
of oil to run, I'll sometimes shoot them
for a bit while dry.

P.S.: I always check the barrels to see
how they look and might run a patch
through them.
Old July 20, 2018, 04:23 PM   #16
Mike38

Thoroughly clean pistol to remove all preservatives. Oil about 10 times more than normal. Reoil after each and every mag. Lots of oil helps wash away any small machining burrs / chips that will come loose while shooting. Thoroughly clean again after range session. Done.
Old July 20, 2018, 04:25 PM   #17
kenny53

Clean it shoot it, shoot it clean it, buy more ammo.
Old July 20, 2018, 05:08 PM   #18
rc

Shoot the Gun!

Then shoot it some more!
Shoot it
Shoot it
Shoot it
Shoot it until you have tried all the typical ammo you plan to use and have not had any hiccups.
One you have made sure the gun is going to run.
Clean it
Oil it
Keep it someplace safe.
Old July 20, 2018, 06:20 PM   #19
darkgael

Ammo and reliability

I can see testing a new firearm in order to find out what type of ammo functions the most reliabiy. That is a bit different than testing the reliability of the gun itself.
Old July 21, 2018, 12:33 AM   #20
Ibmikey

RC has the answer, don’t worry about counting rounds just shoot the beans out of it until you are comfortable with the firearm’s performance.
Old July 21, 2018, 05:00 AM   #21
Old Stony

I've gotta agree, just shoot em' and don't worry about round count. I think the clean and lube thing really gets blown out of proportion. I clean my guns, but only every now and then. Some folks really get too worried about that stuff. It they work reliably that's all that counts.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:57 AM   #22
boondocker385

Clean lube and shoot. I use 500 (half defense loads) with no hiccups as a minimum before i carry it. YMMV
Old July 23, 2018, 07:42 AM   #23
rodfac

Well...I shoot the **** out of them....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:04 AM   #24
kymasabe

I never shoot a new handgun without first cleaning out all the crap left behind from manufacturing. I don't believe barrel break in is as important as breaking in everything else. I won't consider a gun ready for EDC until I've run at least 300-400 rounds thru it, tried various ammo's to see what it prefers, given time for everything to wear in a little, and can go thru 200 rounds without a failure. Range guns however, I clean, lube, and shoot the bejesus out of, with less care or concern for round count.

PS...I think Kahr used to say 400 rounds was their minimum before they considered their guns broken in and safe to carry.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:31 AM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas View Post
What’s your method/s to break in new pistols?
Thanks so much.
clean, lube, shoot
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "