The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

Low recoil whitetail loads

I would like some advice on a low recoil round for my 10 year old sister who wants to get into deer hunting and my dad would also like to see go out for youth season next month here in Iowa, but she is a little recoil shy. Also according to iowa las we can only use shotgun slugs including sabots and mostly any straight wall cartridge 357 and up. We have 12 gauges with not a rifled barrel for sabots and one with a smooth barrel for rifled slugs, and a 45-70govt so a round for one of those is preferred.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Blindstitch

What I would do in that instance is going to cost some money but I would buy an inline muzzleloader and experiment with loose black powder or using 30 grain pellets to find a load she can handle.

I don't know anything about reduced recoil slugs so I can't help you there. But I bought a CVA Wolf a few months back reduced at Gander Mountain for $106 out the door.
Old August 17, 2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Scorch

Reduced power slugs or buckshot may be hard to find, most people are trying to go the other way (increased energy) with those projectiles. And a 45-70 is notoriously hard-kicking, no matter what load you use.

Having just gone through a similar exercise a year ago for my youngest son, my advice is to buy a rifle or shotgun chambered for a lighter recoiling cartridge. If a 20 gauge is too much for your child to handle, move down to a 44 mag or 357 single-shot rifle. There are many, many options available. A downside is you may have to throw some money at the problem. Upside is that in a year or two, you will have some good trading goods for someone else facing the same issue.
Old August 17, 2017, 10:42 PM   #4
VoodooMountain

Surely there are some lighterloads for the older 45/70's in circulation. If you handload you can go from mouse to moose with it.
Old August 18, 2017, 02:11 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

There's a reduced load data sheet on the IMR site. Personally I've loaded '06 rounds with .300 Savage data using IMR3031 with very good results and low recoil...

Tony
Old August 18, 2017, 05:12 AM   #6
Mobuck

If you already have a 357 rifle, I can assure you, this will be the "lowest recoil" round you'll find that is actually useful for hunting deer. It's capable out to about 100 yards.
We did a couple of handicapped hunts in areas that were shotgun only. I found that even the middle of the road 20 gauge slug loads had a recoil close to that of a 30/06--certainly not something I'd recommend for a 10YO.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:28 AM   #7
jmr40

A 4570 load that duplicates older black powder power levels has recoil in the 30-06 class, around 18ish ft lbs of recoil. That would be one of the 405 gr loads. Of the guns you have that is probably the lowest recoil option you have.

With the restrictions you have to deal with you're probably going to need to buy another rifle to get any meaningful recoil reduction. A 357 would be near the top of my list in this case. If legal a 243 would be ideal. Too bad it isn't.

Winston Churchill
Old August 18, 2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Just saying:
Knowing the size of Iowa deer that 45-70s straight wall even down loaded is more likely to wound than drop on the spot when in a childs hands. And too the weight and length of the firearm should be taken into consideration for a smaller statured person?
I don't think a 45-70 anything rifle meets those requirement for your sisters use.

Buy her something nice she can shot and enjoy taking afield. Her very own youth model single shot 410 would garner the littl gals interest and enthusiasm to keep on hunting perhaps for the rest of her life. A hundred & a quarter for the firearm and a little extra for Kim Reynolds should be about all the drain seen in papa's wallet .
Old August 18, 2017, 09:21 AM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
If you already have a 357 rifle, I can assure you, this will be the "lowest recoil" round you'll find that is actually useful for hunting deer. It's capable out to about 100 yards
Best choice. None of the others would be appropriate for a child that young.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2017, 10:11 AM   #10
Jim Watson

What is Sis' experience in SHOOTING?
The era when a kid's introduction to guns was getting kicked by a 12 ga or centerfire rifle is, or should be, over.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:05 AM   #11
kraigwy

The smokeless dupliction load for the 45-70 is 28 gr of 4198 pushing a lead 405 gr slug.

Its accurate, and mild to shoot. Even with the steel but plate on my Springfield Trap door.

Recoil is light enough my grand daughter and her friend went over 100 rounds in a very short time.

If you have a 45-70 I'd try that load and see. I think you'll find it kicks a heck of a lot less then the 12 ga. w/slugs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 18, 2017, 11:58 AM   #12
VoodooMountain

He stated he has a shotgun and a 45/70 and people keep recommending he uses his 357 rifle?

If you are going to buy a rifle I vote 44 mag. Get a box of Remington 180 gr. Loads, a slip on recoil pad, and a past shirt if needed (which is a padded shirt for shooting)

In my marlin these loads recoil less than a 243 and they are going to be dynamite for deer size game. The 44 also gives you more options down the road plus the rifle itself is going to be cheaper and easier to find than the 357 rifles.

If that is still too much recoil for her you can always load specials in it or handload whatever works for your needs.
Old August 18, 2017, 12:32 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...some lighter loads..." Felt recoil is more about the firearm than the cartridge. First and foremost the rifle or shotgun must fit. Most 10 year olds aren't very big. Any of the shotguns semi-auto's that have been made to fit Sis? Is a semi-auto 20 gauge possible?
Secondly, a month or less is not enough time for her to get proficient enough shooting to hunt. Unless she's been shooting the firearm of choice a lot already. And that assumes she's already done the Hunter Education course. This says she needs to be 11 to take it too.
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Hunter-Education
Old August 18, 2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Assuming by "load" you mean a factory loaded round. Thinking that if you handload you would already know how to build a lower recoil round.
Not sure how"low" but here is an option in 12 gauge.
http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetai...&source=A10001
Or
http://www.surplusammo.com/products/...-5-rounds.html
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2017, 04:24 PM   #15
Blindstitch

Quote:
Her very own youth model single shot 410 would garner the littl gals interest and enthusiasm to keep on hunting perhaps for the rest of her life.
Yeah but it isn't legal for her to use on deer.
Old August 18, 2017, 04:52 PM   #16
Mr. Hill

I wouldn't have a 10 year old shoot a shotgun or a .45-70. Too much recoil and too heavy. Heck, I'm not sure I'd want to use either for deer.

A .357 rifle (lever action?) might be work. Set up a rest for her to use while still hunting.
Old August 18, 2017, 04:53 PM   #17
ShootistPRS

The 45-70 can be down-loaded and use lighter bullets without sacrificing short range accuracy.
Using a 250 grain bullet and a starting load of 36 grains of H4895 you can work up a safe and reduced velocity load that has more power than a 357 or 44 magnum round with less recoil in the heavier gun.

It might be ideal to have a rifle with a shorter stock and less weight but that adds money to this equation. H4895 has been used for years in youth loads for hunting. Other possibilities are the use of TrailBoss, SR 4759, and Unique. Hodgdon has a list of reduced youth loads for a lot of different guns.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:13 PM   #18
RaySendero

I'm on the side that figures all 45/70 reduced reloads are going to be too much.
Figure a 12 gauge will be too much recoil, too.
Think I would buy a rifle for the kid(s) and cut stock to fit'em:

Go to Ruger's website.
They show a bolt action rifle in 357M and 44M.
Ruger Hawkeye M77-357 and M77-44.
Old August 18, 2017, 09:29 PM   #19
Mobuck

"He stated he has a shotgun and a 45/70 and people keep recommending he uses his 357 rifle?"

IMHO NEITHER A SHOTGUN OR 45/70 is suitable for use by a 10 YO. A 357 Rifle is legal and as far as I'm concerned the best choice. If you're not willing to provide the kid a suitable gun, don't offer to take her hunting. Again, IMHO
Old August 18, 2017, 10:07 PM   #20
458winshooter

Reduced loads

I know they make short 12 gauge shells that are about half the size of a normal shells that are reduced power I just don't know if they make them for deer.Load data can be found for the 45-70 using 300gr cast bullets and trail boss powder that are cosidered mouse loads but have enough power to take deer.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:09 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

I really don't think the OP is asking for suggested "loads", as in handloading. I kinda doubt he handloads ammo.
But as some others have mentioned I doubt that any "loads", handloaded or factory, for the two guns he mentioned would be light enough for a ten year old. Depending of course on the ten year old.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 21, 2017, 02:39 PM   #22
jfruser

Tough one.

Shotgun
For a reduced recoil slug load look for "tactical" slugs. Still going to be a whollup, though. Be sure to get the gun to fit her. Choate has some reduced LOP stocks that won't break the bank. As short as 12.5" LOP including recoil pad.

.45-70
If you hand load, Trail Boss would make a mild load, sure enough. Even BP-equivalent loads are going to have serious recoil. Again, how is this gun going to fit your sister?

PAST Recoil Shield
Do splurge on the magnum version of this for your sister.

There are some pistol caliber carbines you might want to consider.

In Texas, we'd let your sister loose with an AR-15 in 5.56mm and collapse the stock all the way and she'd be good to go.