The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 25, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
JeanClaudeSegal

Pelican Storm SBR Bug Out Case

I put this little case together ..Tell me your thoughts.I have a few more things to add to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHTMl91Fpjo
Old January 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
taylorce1

Well do you want the truth or do you want to feel good about it?

I'll give the feel good first, it is a well laid out design if you want to travel with it. Pelican cases are tough and they protect your firearms well for traveling, and with the compactness most people would think it is high end camera or computer gear instead of a rifle. Proabably isn't going to change the fact it will attract people wanting to steal it, but it won't freak anyone out like carrying a rifle case sometimes does at major airports.

However the truth is, Pelican cases are terrible just like any other gun case for long term storage as moisture will get trapped in the foam making it totally worthless if you want to store something ready to "bug out" long term. plus the case is totally worthless to keep the rifel in as a med-lg ruck sack full of supplies, a tactical vest with all your gear (mags w/ammo, flaslights, knives, & firestarter) in it, and your SBR put together will be better in a "BO" situation. Keep your gear in a wall locker and your SBR in a safe to securely store your complete rifle which is much more useful than having wheels on a $300 custom cutout Pelican case so you can drag it along.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:02 PM   #3
JeanClaudeSegal

You have actually made some very interesting points..You are correct about the pluck out foam over time it will absorb moisture and can cause potential hazard to your firearms..But i have no intention of storing my gun for long periods of time in my pelican case..This was actually for a bug out scenerio..I actually have a 16gun Iron Safe at home that i keep all my guns in ..It would be very stupid to have a Registered SBR firearm locked away in a pelican case for safe keepings.Another valid point you made was to own and have a tactical vest..This i do have and it is a grab and run vest fully loaded with all the bells in whistles ..and i will be making another video based on the vest..Also when i recieve my Rucpac i will make an additional video to show the viewers of what you can do with a standard pelican case if you do not want to drag it or carry it with one hand..Here is a video link and picture of what the Rucpac can do for the standard pelican case.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VNx1jHVgo ...

Thanx again for commenting and your input..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rucpac.jpg (166.5 KB, 37 views)
Old January 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
taylorce1

Again don't take this the wrong way but it is a totally useless case for a "bug out" situation. I'll try and take this away from a SHTF which "Bug Out" is the new PC name for. I lived constantly with a "BO" bag for four years as it was my job when I was in the infantry with the 3-325 ABCT and 3-505 PIR. When you were QR cycle you had your bags packed ready to deploy at a moments notice and you were never officially more than 50 miles from base.

When we had an alert we got back to base ASAP within two hours. Then we started to gear up fill canteens full of water, grabbed your bags and went down to the arms room and drew weapons, got commo and other sensitive items. Then you went to a staging area where you would receive MRE's and ammunition usually blanks to load up our magazines with.

My point is a wheeled hard case is a PITA to carry and having your firearm inside isn't going to any good and it can easily be taken off of you. You can carry more weight longer and farther by having it in a rucksack secured to your shoulders and with a belt than you can carry or drag a suitcase. Even if you get a rucpak and throw out all the foam and just use the case to pack your gear in, it isn't big enough for everything you'll need to get by one week.

You need a ruck big enough that you can fit all your gear inside not on the outside, if it is convenient for you to get to it can easily be lost or stolen while it is on your back. Put things inside like spare ammunition and batteries, first aid, food, water, extra clothes, boots, sleeping gear, hygiene kit, wet and cold weather gear, tools and a cleaning kit for your firearms. Then your tactical vest keep your loaded magazines, a knife with a small steel or sharpening stones, maybe 20-30' of 550 cord, water, some granola/power bars, flashlight, sidearm with ammo (if you want), and anything else you might need convenient quick access to. Then use a good single point sling to carry your rifle with. You'll want to stay under 70 lbs total weight as well between ruck, vest and firearms.

This means an BG is actually going to have to subdue you to get your firearms and gear away from you because they can't just get you separated from it by having it knocked out of your hands and run off with it as you were dragging it behind you on the wheels, and you have to deal with his buddies in front of you. A firearm isn't going to do you any good inside of a case and and broke down into two pieces so it is even more compact. Plus you want them to know what you are carrying so they know if they come after you they are going to have a fight on their hands, and they are going to pay dearly. BG's aren't going to wait around for you to get your SBR out a case put it together and load a magazine in it, put the spare mags in your pockets so you can have a fair fight.

If you want to plan for a natural disaster such as Sandy or Katrina where you might have to leave town in a hurry until things blow over. Look up a packing list for a light infantry soldier needs for a week in the field. If you Google it I'm sure you'll find find one somewhere and tweak it to fit you. Keep it packed in a bag and ready to go and you'll be fine for most situations. Remember pack the ruck with things you'll need and pack your vehicles with things you can live without if you have to abandon it.

Don't get me wrong I still think you planned and laid out your case well. You'll be traveling to the range and other places in style and I'm sure other people will appreciate it as well. However when you are in a situation where you need to go somewhere in a hurry having your gear in a durable plastic case or taking the time to pack it in there is the least convenient place of all.

Last edited by taylorce1; January 26, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
jason_iowa

I mostly agree with Taylor. 50 beo would not be my first choice either. Something in 308 would be my choice. Good range and will kill anything you would ever want to eat. Easy to find ammo for. 7.62x39 would be my second choice, 223 my 3rd. I like the 50 beo but it just does not have the utility that other rounds do.

I do love pelican cases though and recommend them highly. Molle vests and backpacks are nice. I'm more careful about what I put on my backpack as its is easier to swipe but light things that dont offer much interest are fine.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
JeanClaudeSegal

Yes you guys make some very valid points..I have never been deployed nor been to war..So you will have more experience than i do with these type of situations..One thing i have alot of experience in is hiking/hunting and traveling through the amazon jungle in South America..I guess i have had alot of bad luck with cloth nylon soft cases and back packs..They for some reason dont last very long due to the wet muddy and damp elements out there..A few have fallen over in the amazon river and of course i had to take everything out to dry it out and even throw away some contents that were inside..When the french expedition team came down there they were all packing pelican cases and they said they would not have chosen nothing else due to the fact what the pelican case can withstand especially when rafting through rough waters..

As for choice in caliber.. I Also get that question alot..The reason is ..i usually go hunting up north on my lease ..we also do some camping up there as well..my lease has been known to have mountain lions and black bear,..I know for a fact the 50 beowulf can kill almost anything on planet earth..And i dont feel under gunned when walking the trails in the middle of no where..I usually load her up with some 350gr brass spitzer rounds.I can carry around 130 rounds total with fully loaded mags and extra ammo in the case..Weight can be a little bothersome though .The kit was made to easily transport my sbr from my home to the lease or for traveling to the shooting ranges..but im hoping i will never have to use it as a survival kit..In this case i will have to add a small pistol and some more medical supplies plus a few other things i might have to cram inside
Old January 27, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7
taylorce1

Pelican cases are great and if you want to use it in combo with a RucPac. However you've spend time in the bush and ask yourself if I take everything out of my Pelican case is it large enough to hold all the gear I'd need to survive a week or two where you have hiked and camped before? To me it is all about weight savings and Pelican cases aren't lightweight IMO. Hight heat and humidity does tend to destroy fabric faster than anywhere else, but even your RucPac has nylon webbing that will eventually rot away.

I like this waterproof bag for rainy areas and they have worked well in South East Alaska, but I'm not packing it much as it usually rides in the boat. I like to use these dry bags inside of my regular frame pack ruck which works much better than the other bag I linked to for long trek's through the back country. I do have a ruck frame with a shelf that I usually use while hunting for hauling game off the mountain and I have strapped the first pack on to it as well if I've needed it to hike long distances.

The thing I like as well about fabric rucksacks is that they are a lot quieter. Especially when hunting and I might be moving through some thick woods, when branches drag against it it doesn't sound quite so loud IMO as the branches hitting the stock of my synthetic rifles. Nor when you set it down among rocks and thick brush, and quieter is always better for me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaudeSegal
The kit was made to easily transport my sbr from my home to the lease or for traveling to the shooting ranges..
Which is what it is best suited for as I said in my first post. I'm sure it is much easier to transport than my SKB four rifle case, however I usually take at least two rifles to the range when I go besides all my other gear and ammo which fits inside of it nicely. However in the end you'll have to decide if the Pelican case will really fit your needs and until you use it in the field on one of your trips you'll never know for sure.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:50 PM   #8
JeanClaudeSegal

That is a very nice bag from cabelas.I might have to pick one of those up..I wish we had those back in the days while trecking through the jungle..On my next hike up at my lease..I am going to put the pelican case through a good thorough backpack test ..I will post the results and a few pics for the viewers..Thanx for showing me that waterproof sac..I think i am going to add that to my bugout gear..
Old January 28, 2013, 10:11 PM   #9
HKFan9

It would make a nice travel or range case, but for a serious "bug out" it would be terrible IMHO. Like others have stated, not trying to rain on your parade.

I have a Pelican case that fits my AR-15 and my 1911 with all the mags you can want.. but it is a true beast of a case.

The wheels add weight and nothing more.. your not bugging out walking down the sidewalk.

The .50Beowulf would be one of my last choices for such a situation... large heavy RARE ammo, minimum capacity. 15 round mags might be a "hi-cap" for that gun, but firing under stress those will be empty very quickly, and a true bug out situation... where are you going to resupply for ammo?

I understand your concern for large predators and I've said this in other threads... Yes they are a real threat, but even a .223 with the right rounds.. will kill a bear, and a mountain lion... is it ideal, no.... but you can even kill an engine block with 30 rounds of steel tipped ammo.

I am not saying the .223 is the best round ever.. but it is lighter, you can pack much more volume, and you can find it almost anywhere.

Just my initial thoughts, I will give you props on the nice rig, and rifle, but for ME, it is far from a bug out set up.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:29 PM   #10
JeanClaudeSegal

Hi

And thanx for commenting all input and recommendations are welcome here..You are right about the 223/556 holding much more round capacity which brings it to an advantage in this category ..But the fact of the matter with the most popular calibers such as 556/223 308 762x39 etc ..are actually harder to get in a bug situation or an OBAMA Scare like what we are currently in.Also my lease owner does not allow us to hunt on his land with nothing less than 6.5mm..Ammunition prices have sky rocketed through the roof and when people get scared of an actual bugout situtation or political situation your supply and demand comes into effect.my 50 beowulf supply is currently close to 2000 rounds.It is not the cheapest round nor the most readily available round but i much more prefer this over any 223/556 just from the devastating effects that it has had on my animal kills.I dont believe i will be able to carry all 2000 rounds on me unless i am a serious body builder but i would be able to carry more than a few hundred rounds on me with tac vest and my bug out bag..The reason i also dont carry the 556/223 round as a hunting round is because i have had a few problems with it in the past in amazon..we have a really hard time taking down hogs and jaguar with it..Usually if you shoot the animal ..either two things happen..they either get scared and run off about a mile away and die..or they get ****** off and end up killing or seriously injuring you.some people here where i live swear by it and they use it for almost any situation..For me its good all purpose military round that has been killing people for decades..but i rather prefer the knockdown power of the 50beowulf ..Im not the best of shots and i know if i miss a vital area and i hit a leg or arm the beowulf energy/bullet and weight will rip off the limbs very easily..As for a the pelican case being a bug out bag ..it will be my other option in this category and i am going to have to take it out on a test run using the Rucsac when i go back hunting on the trail , but Taylorce1 has pointed me in a good direction with a waterproof sac which i think is a great addition..Thanx again for your input and you have made some really good valid points..