The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
azwizard

Double Barrels, SXS or O/U?

What seems to be the major difference and why would you choose one over the other?

I have my Rem 11-87 that I use for everything, Skeet/Trap/Quail/Rabbit/Pheasants/Ducks and Turkeys

I also have a old Springfield 16 SXS that I like very much but have only used it for upland game.

I've never shot a O/U so am I missing something?
Old April 14, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Creek Henry

I wouldn't say you are missing anything but the O/U and SxS are a different shooting experience for a lot of people. The narrower sightplane does allow me to shoot better... I did not think it would matter much until I really shot a SxS a lot. It took me a while to adapt but if you can shoot the wider gun already, I'd say you are ahead of the game.

O/Us are slower to open and close as they have to pivot on a lot larger angle to recock. If you aren't used to this, it can be annoying.

Other than that, it's more about gun balance and fit... and single vs double triggers but, again, that can be had on a variety of doubles.
Old April 14, 2012, 07:10 PM   #3
PetahW

[What seems to be the major difference and why would you choose one over the other?]

Besides the shooting/ergonomics, a buyer's budget would be a reason.

Generally, the fact that most O/U's can be made less expensively than SxS's is reflected in their price tags.

And, IIRC, not many SxS's are made/issued with choke tubes.

Old April 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
azwizard

Ok, so if I'm understanding things right there would be a preference for hunting to the SXS, swings great and points naturally. Skeet and Trap go to the O/U but I have the 11-87 for that. The O/U gets different barrel lenght and choke tubes.

So my question was kind of leading me to a another question. The Springfield is a 1915 Chicoppe Falls Proofed 16 ga. with 30 in. barrels. To designate this as my upland game gun. I'm thinking of alterations.

What would you think about cutting the barrels back to say 26" and having choke tubes in Full/Modified installed. I'd also maybee ream the chambers to ensure they are 2 3/4" chambers vise 2 9/16"th. Would I have to worry about barrrel regulation? What are the opinions.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Creek Henry

It is a question of $$. If you put enough long green in to any gun, you can get what you want!

How much do you want to spend?
Old April 14, 2012, 08:19 PM   #6
azwizard

Well I can cut the barrels to length myself and I can also do the chamber reaming, so all I need to hire out would be cutting the threads for the choke tubes. So long as the barrel regulation stays put out to about 35-40 yards I'm good with that.

Money is subjective. I'd need to spend at least $400-$500 to get a cheap SXS shotgun replacement and I'd think I could do the alterations for quite a bit less.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
darkgael

sxs

About that 30" barrel.....before you cut it back.....how much does the gun weigh? Your 11-87 weighs over eight pounds, IIRC. If the SxS is that or less, I'd leave it alone. Besides, the 30" SXS is probably still shorter OAL than the 11-87.
I had the opportunity to choose either 28" or 26" barrels on the first SXS that I ever owned. I took the 26" thinking that it'd be an advantage upland. I have regretted it since. I had an old Savage O/U cut back....sorry that I did now..for the same reasons. The longer barrels enhance balance and swing. By cutting them, you are not gaining nearly as much as you are giving away.
Pete
Old April 14, 2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Drummer101

If you shoot a lot of SXS I like gloves for the hand under the forearm because the wood part is not as big as an O/U and it can get tosty doing clays.

And the sight picture is wider so hitting smaller clays can be tricky.

But I have only used a SXS once so take it with a grain of salt...
Old April 15, 2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Barrels oft lose all regulation when shortened. A few suggestions on that Riverside.....

Leave the barrels unbobbed but have either the chokes opened to IC and Mod or have Briley or Orlen thread it for tubes. Those last two worthies can also check chamber length and lengthen to 2 3/4" if it's not.

However, there are great 2 1/2" loads out there from divers makers. Polywad's version comes in a low pressure shell, a variant is a spreader load. On a mid grade gun pushing a century in age, pressure is crucial.Not as cheap as box store bulkpacks, but how many shells do YOU use in a hunting season?

As with all older shotguns, a visit to a smith is called for.He/she can check headspace, chamber length,etc, and fix any minor issues before they turn into big problems.

HTH.....
Old April 15, 2012, 04:36 PM   #10
oneounceload

The issue with lengthening an older gun to 2-3/4 from shorter shells, is that the shooter, (or someone after him), then reaches for those 2-3/4 uber hot loads which the gun was not designed to fire safely.

Get the right length or shorter, have the chokes opened up to what is apropos for the upland you hunt, leave the "bobbing" to those red and white plastic things in your fishing tackle box and go have fun
Old April 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
BigJimP

To me ...an O/U is the preferred platform for clay targets ..and for birds in the field. I find the sight plane on the SXS's ....create some issues for me / and most of the SXS's are very short and light ...which I don't like.

To me a SXS is a novelty ....but not a gun I want to shoot much of anything with. But I primarily feel that way - because of a combination of things ...the sight plane ...and they don't "Fit" me...so virtually any SXS - I'd have to restock the gun to get it to hit - where I look - and substantially change the length of pull -- and put some more wood in the grip area ...but the guys that like them / really like them...

I would not recommend cutting the barrel of that 16ga down.../ your budget is pretty "thin" so I understand you want to do something with the gun to make it more useful but ...I think its a plan you'll regret down the road ...and it'll render the value of the gun next to worthless...( if that matters).
Old April 16, 2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Clifford L. Hughes

Azwizzard:

Unless the double has a Ventilated rib I feel that I'm shooting over a canyon in front of the breech. An over/under give me a stright pointing aim. I'm found of the s/s: it seems like it points faster and the it swing smoother.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired