The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
kayaker63

Talon Stock

Anybody had any experience with the Knoxx Talon Thumbhole Shotgun Stock? Was about to order one of their Spec-0ps when I stumbled on to this newest and greatest for my new Mossberg 590A1.

Thanks,
kayaker63
Old October 11, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
zippy13

How are you going to get your thumb quickly to the safety slide when it's sticking in that hole? That stock might work on a Remington with its safety's location; but, for your Mossberg it's a poor deign.
Old October 11, 2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Technosavant

Given the Mossberg's safety location, you'd have the same issues with the SpecOps- your thumb will need to come out from around the grip in order to take the safety off.

However, let's assume that you deactivate the safety the moment you pick the thing up; I'm not one to put much stock into a shotgun's safety anyway.

I admit I haven't used a Talon, but I do have a 870 with the SpecOps. Having looked over the Talon on the net, it looks like it might provide a better cheek weld than the M4 style SpecOps, but it will do so at the cost of length of pull. While I know most tactical style stocks are shorter for those wearing body armor, all my kevlar vests are at the cleaners. I tend to prefer a longer LOP (about 15"), so the 13.75" of the Talon would leave me feeling cramped. On the SpecOps, you can adjust it.

For HD purposes, cheek weld would seem to me to be less an issue (it becomes a problem when shooting clays, because an inconsistent weld is one that costs you birds) than a natural fit- being a couple inches off inside 15 yards won't mean a thing with 00 buck. Just my $0.02 though.
Old October 11, 2010, 08:58 PM   #4
kayaker63

Spec-Ops

Never had a problem using the safety with a Spec-Ops on any of my Mossbergs in the past.

Kayaker
Old October 11, 2010, 10:39 PM   #5
colostomyclown

Quote:
Never had a problem using the safety with a Spec-Ops on any of my Mossbergs in the past.

Kayaker

do you have to release your grip from the pistol grip to access the slide release? Unless you're literally the size of an Nba big man, you do. Therefore you have a problem operating the safety PROPERLY with a Spec-Ops on any of your Mossbergs, past present or future.

Plus the cheek weld sucks on them, they're cheaply made, overpriced and have been documented to malfunction in cold weather. I would discount the Talon thumbhole stock for the same reasons.
Old October 12, 2010, 07:18 AM   #6
kayaker63

Knox stocks

Good points Colony! Having some problems racking my new Mossberg due to a bum shoulder and may have to rethink this whole shotgun thing.

Thanks,
Charlie, aka kayaker63
Old October 12, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
colostomyclown

ive been plagued with shoulder issues, and this is one circumstance i'd recommend trying and practicing with a pistol grip only, assuming the shoulder issue is bad enough. the alternative is trying non aiming techniques like underarm assault positions with a conventional stock, but honestly if your shoulders bad enough, put a Hogue Tamer pg on your shotgun and practice hard...
Old October 13, 2010, 03:32 PM   #8
kayaker63

Pistol grip

Good advice too! Hadn't really given this much consideration. Used to have a 20-gauge Mossberg with a pistol grip and put a sling on it which today would be called single point. I could hit clay pigeons with it too on a pretty regular basis.

Might even find a laser to fit it as well. Thanks again for your advice.

kayaker63
Old October 13, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
jokester_143

I've never had a problem with my Mossberg 500 with the M4 style knoxx stock on... The Talon seems interesting.

As for the safety "issue" my shotgun is never pointed unless I am ready to shoot it, thus my safety is off. Once I am done firing I lower it's angle and then re-engage the safety.