The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1
jheitertusa

Remington 870 problem w/pics

I bought a Remington brand Mossy Oak stock and forend for my 870 Express Magnum (12 gauge, 2.75" or 3" shells). The gun is about 6 years old. I am having problems getting the forend nut off the front, and am about to just buy the tool made for this purpose. The bigger problem is that on the bottom of the tube assembly, the slot that aligns it with the forend is very narrow, and the groove on the old forend is as well. The replacement has a very wide groove that doesn't look like it will fit the forend assembly, even if I can get the old one seperated.

The new forend and stock are Remington factory, and marked as being for the Remington 870 12 gauge. Am I missing something?

Pics below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forends2.JPG (144.1 KB, 204 views)
Old October 10, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
KnightofCydonia

try some pliers and insert them into the grooves and twist.
Old October 10, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
jheitertusa

Quote:
try some pliers and insert them into the grooves and twist.
Tried that, it is on too hard to use pliers without risking damage to the tube. I can just buy the tool, but I don't want to spend the money until I figure out what the deal with the forend is.
Old October 10, 2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Snakedriver

See if this little film clip helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-QkpZVn1w

Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57V28rLkA0E
Old October 10, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Buy the tool. It is a handy thing to have if you have an 870.
Old October 10, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
jheitertusa

Thanks for the tips everyone, but it is not the nut I am worried about. It is on too hard for the pliers, tried that. I will just buy the tool.

Take a close look at the picture. Look at the difference between the channels on the two forends and the size of the slot on the original tube assembly. They are both Remington factory, but I don't see how the new camo one will fit, since the channels look two wide for the small slot on the original assembly. My 870 is only about 6 years old, are there two different models of forend tube asemblies for 870 12 gauges? Was the new one mislabled? Anyone with an 870 that can take a look at their forend and see if the lands/grooves are small like my original or wide like the replacement?
Thanks for the help guys, just trying to figure this part out...
Old October 10, 2010, 05:54 PM   #7
jheitertusa

...got it done.

The claw of a typical claw hammer fits perfect, so I didn't have to buy the tool. Got the nut off without any problem that way.

The new forend IS different in that it has the wider "lands," however, I found that they compress to fit the smaller slot on the tube assembly, so it fits. The difference appears that the original forend has the "lands" already sized that way from the factory. Hard to explain, but again, if you examine the two in the pic I posted you will see the difference.
Old October 10, 2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

I'm not sure I'd recommend this except as a real emergency, but some people use the 870 bolt slide as a fore end nut tool.
Old October 13, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Deerhunter

@ jheitertusa.......I didn't see anyone answer what you are saying the real problem is. A friend just bought a new 870 and after helping him get it back together I am pretty sure that the forearm guides are different sizes. I just took a look at his last night and didn't have mine with me. I believe that the forearm is longer on the new one and the rails are bigger as well.

Anyone actually know this to be true? Is there a pre (enter year here) model 870 and a post (enter year here) 870?
Old October 13, 2010, 05:55 PM   #10
SoilworK777

I work in a sheet metal shop and bent a piece of the appropriate gauge material to 90 degrees. Making the thickness and width properly ensures that it won't slip out of the forend nut. The tools I've seen for sale are too expensive and overkill.
Old October 13, 2010, 09:48 PM   #11
jheitertusa

@deerhunter:

Both these forearms are the same length, and attach to the same size rails. The difference was on the inside of the forearms, the one that came with my 870 had very narrow "rails" on the inside, whereas the new one had very wide "rails" on the inside. (see pic in original post). I found that the tube assembly still fits in it, it is just a much tighter fit. The wider rail on the inside apparently compressed to fit the narrow tube assembly notch. Everything seems to fit tight, so all is well.

My guess is somewhere along the line, Remington did a redesign on their synthetic forends. It doesn't look like it will fit, but it does.