The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
cek

Non-jacketed lead bullets

Back in the early '90s I bought a bulk supply of lead, non-jacketed bullets (both 9mm 115gr & .45ACP 230gr). Didn't have kids then and didn't pay much attention to concerns about lead poisoning.

What's the current sentiment about

(a) Reloading these. Recyle them? Wear gloves & mask? or Just don't worry?
(b) Shooting these. Do today's ranges "care"? I thought I remembered hearing some ranges insist on only jacketed bullets?

Thanks (someone who's been away from the sport for a while...)
Old July 12, 2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Don H

(a) No need for gloves and mask - there's no lead floating in the air from these bullets. Just wash your hands afterward and before eating.

(b) Depends on the range rules - they vary all over the place.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:02 PM   #3
cornbush

What he said, as long as you don't eat a few you should be fine.
Old July 12, 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Crosshair

1. Don't eat them and wash your hands after handling them. Most actually have a thin coat of lube over the whole bullet, minimizing exposure.
2. Many indoor ranges don't allow them because they don't have adequate ventilation to prevent lead particles from building up in the air. This is not a problem with outdoor ranges for obvious reasons. There is also the issue of some bullet lubes producing lots of smoke.

As an added note, elemental lead is not that toxic. (Relatively speaking.) It's when it gets combined into compounds that you really start to get problems. Heck I smelt my own lead and the blood tests from my last physical were in the "normal" range.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:40 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The best thing to do would be to get them out of your house as soon as possible! As a matter of fact, go ahead and send them to me for PROPER disposal!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~