The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 24, 2004, 02:48 PM   #1
ebd10

Confession of a new reader

I just picked up my first ever issue of SWAT. The main reason that I have never read it before is because I thought that it was a journal for "wannabes". I'm not a cop, security person or any type of "operator" (that term still gives me visions of heavily-armed phone company employees ), and I haven't been a soldier for a long time. It just so happened that I was desperate for reading material, so I bought a copy on a lark. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was full of practical advice for anyone who carries concealed! A new fan is made!

My only bone of contention (and it is REALLY nitpicky) is the article by Clint Smith about the Sharps rifle. He mentions the famous shot by Billy Dixon as being a "nominal 1200 yards". In everything I've read, it measured 1538 yards. Dixon himself said that it was a lucky shot, but as he was a buffalo hunter and an avid target shooter, it's not hard to imagine that his luck was born of skill and practice.

Other than that, I found the magazine to be informative AND entertaining. Even my wife liked the article about the defensive handgun class for women. Keep up the good work. You've won a new reader because of it.
ebd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Jeff Randall

I've been reading S.W.A.T. off and on for years and found it to be the best magazine out there for telling it like it is, especially during recent issues. No doubt it's the best magazine going whether you're an adventurer, LEO, soldier, or just a firearms enthusiast. There's something in it for everyone.

Jeff
Jeff Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2004, 08:43 PM   #3
ghostdoc

Yep, I'm not involved in LE either unless you consider a part time security guard in a Nursing Home LE. I was a soldier once with the 82nd ABN Div.. I can't even say I was a good soldier. I was an insubordinate pain in the ass as a matter of fact (when they could track me down), but I was a good Medic. I thought SWAT would be as ebd10 described. I was definitely off the mark. Thanks for a great magazine. Ghostdoc (firearms enthusiast)
John 15:13
ghostdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Guys-
From your lips to God's Ear.....
Give us a hundred thousand more "skeptics" like you and we can change the face of the "Gun Rag" industry for decades to come.....no kidding.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote