The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2002, 12:38 PM   #1
Shootin' Shane

Remington 1100 loading failure

When I cock my 1100, it pulls the shell from the magazine but does not pop it up into position to be slid forward into the chamber. The shell simply stays in the lower receiver and the cocking lever will not move forward unless I manually release it. Does anyone know what might cause this jam? Is anything broken or missing? Thanks a lot, Shane
Old January 21, 2002, 11:32 PM   #2
slick slidestop

If you are doing what you said starting with an empty chamber, this is normal. Sometimes if you pull the bolt back and release it real fast it might chamber the round.

If you have a round in the chamber and cycle the bolt, it should eject the chambered round and load another
Old January 22, 2002, 02:57 AM   #3
Shootin' Shane

I'm sorry, I wasn't exactly clear with my question. My 1100 will not load/move the shell up on the 1st round OR any other round. I don't remember having to manually load the 1st round. If the chamber is empty, the magazine is full and the bolt is forward, shouldn't you just be able to pull the bolt back and release it and it will load a shell? I am not able to do this. Shouldn't something throw the loading gate on the bottom of the receiver up which in turn throws the shell up to chamber level?
Old January 22, 2002, 06:29 AM   #4
Royal_Lancer

On my 1100 I have never had the first round load without depressing the button in the loading gate. I have only had the auto load work during firing.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 22, 2002, 01:47 PM   #5
Shootin' Shane

Good, that takes care of the first round. I just figured the rest of the shells would cycle through from working the bolt by hand. (Like a semi-auto pistol or rifle). I owned an 1100 for a short time probably 10 years ago and I thought I remember unloading the gun by pulling and releasing the bolt by hand (and not having to depress the button on the loading gate for EACH shell). Thanks for all your replies, Shane

Last edited by Shootin' Shane; January 22, 2002 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 24, 2002, 01:05 AM   #6
Shootin' Shane

That's what I thought and that was my original question, but I am getting conflicting answers from a few different people. Look in the shotguns forum. Thanks!
Old January 24, 2002, 09:32 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Shane, I'd recommend a trip to your local smith. I believe that the reason you get conflicting answers is that folks are trying to help based on their own experiences. And what may cause a similar malfunction in their gun may or may not be the culprit in your case. Let a smith look it over. George