The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 22, 2017, 06:33 AM   #1
fourbore

Federal American Eagle Syntech Handgun Ammo

When, I was stocking up on American Eagle 9mm 115 fmj at cableas, buying 10 boxes with the latest club discount ($20 per $100) worked out to $8 per box of 50, I noticed this OTHER load with red coated bullets. Not on sale, so; I passed. That and my usual skeptical reaction.

Here is a review, no surprise positive. It might be worthwhile for those shooting indoors?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...nition-review/
Old September 22, 2017, 08:11 AM   #2
TJB101

Haven't tried the loaded rounds but two reloaders denoted the bullets where shaving terribly on uber belled cases. Jury is still out
Old September 22, 2017, 05:55 PM   #3
NYPD13

I use Syntech in reloading my 40 and 10mm. There's a slight shaving of the polymer jacket at times when seating(1 of 20), similar to cast lead. I suspect it's difficult to keep those jackets as uniform as a swaged bullet.
I will report that they make cleaning the barrel quite easy as there's no copper or lead fouling. Just reloaded a 10mm batch this morning that I shot two weeks ago. It took all of twenty seconds to clean the barrel. None of the usual scrubbing was needed. Good low cost alternative to lead bullets and safe for the polygonal rifled barrels of my Kahr and Glock.
Haven't shot the factory stuff, yet I presume the results are the same as my reloads.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:03 PM   #4
OhioGuy

I've shot 500 rounds of it at an indoor tactical league where we need to use lead free primer in the ammo. I've found a noticeable difference in the fouling of the barrel vs ordinary FMJ.

Look up "Blue Bullets." They are also polymer coated and some reloading companies are using them in their cheap range ammo. They're also used in an aluminum cased variant of Cabela's store brand Herters. If the polymer jackets are appealing you may want to look for that. It's a good deal cheaper than federal.
Old September 26, 2017, 12:55 PM   #5
fourbore

So; once again, nothing new and not a magic bullet. It amazing how fast you can burn up 500 rounds of 9mm when you only have $8 a box invested
Old September 26, 2017, 01:22 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...with red coated bullets..." Synthetic jacket. Absolutely not a magic bullet. You'd have to try a box to find out how your pistol shoots 'em, just like any other factory ammo.