The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
bow shot

No such thing: Lee 204 case trimmer?

Rats. Lee tells me that they will not make a .204 trimmer (cutter and case length gauge): "We will not be making a case length gauge for the 204 Ruger for it is too small for us to make."

Does anyone understand that...? 'anybody got a solution other than me blowing $ on another trimmer?
Old April 7, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I think the minimum diameter their cutter will trim, where the gauge threads into it, is too wide to trim the .204. They aren't willing to tool up to change all their gage thread diameters for that. They may feel their design will be weakened unacceptably if they do?

One of the best bench trimmers made is also one of the least expensive. It is the L.E. Wilson trimmer. Google on Bruno Shooters Supply or on Sinclair International for a vendor. It is about $35 for the base unit with trimming cutter, plus another $6.50 for each case holder you need. Most holders will hold a family of cases. It is the only bench trimmer I am aware of that forces true coaxiality of the cutter with the case. You can make it fancier with Sinclair's base that has a clamp to hold the case holder down, but don't spend more than you need to before you try it as-is. It is what I use for all the cases for which I don't have adapters for trimming in my Giraud.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 7, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3
troy_mclure

ive been using a file, and my calipers.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 7, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4
bow shot

Yes, after reading plenty of threads here, I'll go with the Wilson if I end up with no solutiion for the Lee setup... which is likely. I may alter a 22-250 gauge if I get courageous (ie, ruin several and then abort LOL!!).
Old April 7, 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
bow shot

...I don't have a zillion rounds to do, just getting started with this rifle, so a file and caliper is a good option too...
Old April 7, 2009, 08:39 PM   #6
oldcspsarge

Dillion has one
Old April 8, 2009, 09:55 AM   #7
bow shot

Yes, I see that everybody has one for 204 except Lee. That's too bad...
Old April 21, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8
bow shot

so I went and did this...

...I got 22 250 case length gauge, and a 223 shell holder, and asked the tool guy at work to machine the case length gauge for me to fit the neck-sized .204 case. We'll put the caliper on it when he's done..
Old April 22, 2009, 11:22 AM   #9
bow shot

and...

...he's working on it now. What a great guy.
Old April 24, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
bow shot

Done. 'Turned down to fit the neck of sized case, and cut back to trim to 1.850". I just realized that I need a shell holder, since the one for the 22/250 won't work...duh. Gotta go find one. I need a set up for .223 anyway (same shell holder), so that's no big deal.. just more of a delay...
Old December 28, 2009, 06:57 PM   #11
bow shot

note!

To those that mentioned the standard lathe style trimmers (Wilson, Forster, RCBS, etc.), note that the lee cutter is an entirely different animal.

Ok, working the Lee 22-250 case length gauge to get the correct trim lenght and diameter for .204 worked, BUT... as Uncle Nick predicted, the first cutter that I tried did not meet the case neck properly, and caused me some very nasty problems, and I ruined a lot of brass.

I got VERY lucky however... I had several Lee cutters at hand, and one of them had just enough "dimension" to actually work.

So that's my story and....
Old December 30, 2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Ifishsum

I had the same problem - in fact I believe I probably custom ordered the first .204 ruger trim gauge that Lee made. They did make it for me and I still use it but I did struggle with it because the mandrel is the same diameter as the threads on the cutter. My first run I didn't notice that it was migrating deeper into the threads and I ended up cutting quite a few pieces way under until I noticed. Solved the problem by loctiting it into a dedicated cutter head.