The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
LateNightFlight

A Black Powder Coyote

A black powder rig isn't what I'd chose to take out for coyotes, but when you're black powder deer hunting and haven't seen jack squat, a random coyote is okay.

I spotted this coyote in a pasture off to the left of my stand, but my stand is back in the woods a bit. I cranked up the power on my scope as this coyote trotted along perhaps 150 yards away, which is about the limit of my confidence with my black powder set-up... particularly for a smallish coyote. At that point, the range didn't really matter though, because as I scoped the coyote there was no way I could weave a slug through all the limbs.

I'm not in the habit of taking any calls with me to a deer stand, so I first tried to lip squeak. The wind was in my face though, so I'm certain he just couldn't hear me. I tried again, but this time I cupped my hand and squeaked between my thumb and index finger as loud as I could. Nope, he still couldn't hear me as far as I could tell. But, he must have heard something or my squeaks were slow to register, because moments later he looked down towards the draw in front of me and came on the trot. Just inside of 100 yards he paused and began to back track; he was facing straight away but now I had a clear shot. There were still plenty of limbs, but nothing in the way.

I hit him in the right ham and stretched him length wise. Surprisingly, there was no exit. The 50 cal slug went through to the chest. Bang - flop, a half flip on the ground, and it was over. I skinned him and the funny thing is the pelt is as perfect as you'd ever hope for. The entry is on the cut line at the top of the back leg, and there is no exit! (Ha... perfect!)

And that's the story of my first ever black powder coyote!

Old December 28, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Gbro

Just looking at the picture, I want to think powder pellets.
Congrats, are you going to have the pelt tanned?
Old December 28, 2009, 11:58 PM   #3
jdscholer

Good job! Although I think that picture would look better with a Hawkin in it.

I started a thread a month or so back about a coyote that I lip squeaked up and killed with my shotgun when I was quail hunting. The "lip squeak" can work pretty well, and I've found that with a little practice, I've increased my volume by about three times what it once was. Ya gotta admit, you almost always have your lips with ya. jd
Old December 29, 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
simonkenton

Good shot!
Old December 29, 2009, 08:52 AM   #5
boltaction

Good shot and great story, thanks for sharing.
Old December 29, 2009, 09:11 AM   #6
thallub

Congrats on the muzzleloader coyote. Have killed several with my muzzleloader while hunting ponds from tree stands.
Old December 29, 2009, 01:29 PM   #7
rem870hunter

very nice
Old December 30, 2009, 01:32 AM   #8
LateNightFlight

Thanks for the comments guys. It's always fun to have a new "first." Well, a first for me; I'm sure many a coyote have been taken with muzzle loaders.

I'm debating about what to do with the hide. I have no idea what prices are right now. I've accumulated a few, so if I keep them I'll have to come up with a project idea.

jdscholer; If you'd like to loan me your Hawkin, I'd be happy to take it on a bonifide coyote hunt and shoot some pics! :-)

I filled my last deer tag tonight with the same rig - another doe - in the last 10 minutes of the muzzle loader season. No buck for me this year! Just when my confidence was jacked up with that coyote shot, I foul hit this deer with what was practically a chip shot by comparison. (I suspect I may have tipped the slug off a branch twig, but I'm guessing.) It's after midnight and I've only just finished skinning after a tough locate - dispatch - drag from hell. I even got my ATV stuck. (Don't get an electric shift ATV. If the battery is dead and you have to pull start it, not only will it not shift gears, the 4WD switch won't engage until the battery is charged. Hence, stuck in an icy gulley for awhile. ) All's well that ends well but this dude is exhausted!

Last edited by LateNightFlight; December 30, 2009 at 01:44 AM.