The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
bumnote

Newb questions for loading 357/38

I've finally gotten around to buying reloading equipment over the weekend and when I can find small pistol primers someday I might actually get to use it.
I plan on loading 223 and 357/38 since 90% of the time that's what I'm shooting and plan to try loading 357/38 first since I think it would be best try that first.
I've got a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. Can 357 be loaded to 38sp pressures or should I load to 357 cowboy pressures instead for a lower power load? I've got 357 brass, but I don't mind it if I have to buy 38 brass if it shouldn't be done. My main reason is for ease of set up while learning but I understand that the difference in case length would or could effect pressure adversely (and probably some other things I'm not taking into consideration) and make this a bad idea.
If anyone has any powder and bullet suggestions for first time handloading I'd appreciate that too. Since I can't find primers I haven't done enough research into that yet to feel comfortable making a purchase (I've been mostly focusing on equipment) and I assume I should try more than one type of powder so I should buy small amounts at first. For bullets I think FMJ might be best to start with before trying wadcutters or semi-wadcutters, any brand recommendations would be great. A suggestion for a second reloading manual to supplement a Lyman manual would also be a help. I figure I should have a minimum of 2 manuals to use before I start.
Thanks, hope this made sense.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Don P

Load your 38spl and 357mag to cowboy load specs for some soft shooting fun. I would advise against loading 357mags to 38 spl load data. To much pressure will build if you choose to do that. If you choose to do so please advise me when and where you plan on shooting so I can stay home and be safe and sound
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Jeff H

Quote:
I would advise against loading 357mags to 38 spl load data. To much pressure will build if you choose to do that.
Ummm, I think you got that backwards.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Don't worry about it unless you are loading at the extreme low end of the load data. I recommend using the .38 Special's max data without doing the customary reduce 10%. Maybe even use the "+P" data.

(BTW, you know never to reduce the powder charge 10% when using 296 and H-110 powders, right? They are exceptions that should always be loaded pedal-to-the-metal and with a tight crimp)

Last edited by zxcvbob; December 28, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
bumnote

Quote:
BTW, you know never to reduce the powder charge 10% when using 296 and H-110 powders, right? They are exceptions that should always be loaded peddle-to-the-metal and with a tight crimp
No I did not know that. I have picked a powered yet, but that's good to know. Thanks!
+P sounds like a good way to go.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
zxcvbob

To start, I'll recommend 158 grain semi-wadcutters (or RNFP) bullets and Bullseye, Unique, HS-6, or Herco powder.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
B.L.E.

The only good reason I can think of for using .38 special cases for your plinking loads is so you can readily tell your plinking and hunting loads apart.

For plinking, you'll probably want to use the more economical cast bullets anyway. I have good luck with LaserCast 158 grain semiwadcutter or roundnose flatpoints. If you want to shoot extremely heavy or extremely light bullets, you are going to want adjusable sights on a revolver because changing bullet weight changes the point of impact.

I have really come to like IMR Trailboss for plinking loads. This powder is extremely fluffy so that a 3.5 or so grain load of it nearly fills up a .357 magnum case. It will run over if you try to double charge it, something I consider a safety factor. Also, a powder measure adjusted to throw a magnum load of 2400, H-110 etc will often throw a plinking load of Trailboss without readjustment.
Old December 28, 2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Uncle Buck

How do you guys think the cowboy loads would do if he did use the FMJ bullets? I was under the impression you had to use higher pressure for FMJ bullets?
Old December 28, 2009, 04:05 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Quote:
How do you guys think the cowboy loads would do if he did use the FMJ bullets? I was under the impression you had to use higher pressure for FMJ bullets?
I would stay away from the lower end of the acceptable charge range, lest you get a squib that leaves you with a bullet stuck in the barrel. Also, half-jacket and gas check cast bullets can leave the jacket or gas check in the barrel if the pressure is too low.

With full metal jackets, jacket-core separation is not an issue.

I have had excellent results using Trailboss with Berry's copper plated bullets in .44 magnum. 6.8 grains of TB and 180 grain Berry's bullets averages 872 fps out of a six inch S&W model 29.
12 shot string, high = 893fps, low=850 fps, standard deviation 12.09.
Old December 28, 2009, 04:23 PM   #10
c.j.sikes

38-357 loads

i shoot 38 spl. and colt 357. i cast my own bullets so i use w. c. and swc for 38 and 2.7 gr hp38 for w.c. and 2.8 gr hp38 for swc. for 357 i use 155 gr. g.c. bullet with 11.4 gr 4227 that 973 f.p.s. at the muzzle.works for me. cjs