The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
rabid_rob

.45LC: Most Accurate Bullet & Powder?

I will soon start reloading some .45LC, strictly for target shooting with my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. I know there are dozens of different bullet types/shapes/materials, and many different types of powders as well, but thinking in terms of just target shooting, what is a good choice? FYI, I'm not ready to cast my own yet (someday) so the bullet suggestions should be off-the-shelf (and hopefully in-stock)
Old May 27, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
ligonierbill

I have good results with Oregon Trail Lasercast. I also hear good things about Mastercast. Powder? I use AA#5 for light loads, mostly because I have a can and a little goes a long way. I load for a Blackhawk, so I also load H110 "Ruger only" rounds. Probably not your top accuracy loads, and they are not the best for long range sessions. All are very consistent on the chrono.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
GeauxTide

In my Bisley, I've used Hunter Supply 275 LFN under 9gr of Unique at 950fps. 10gr gives 1057. Rem cases and Rem LP primers.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

When I started reloading a couple months ago, all I had was Unique so that's what I used. It was OK but I only had factory loads to compare to. I finally got some other powders a couple weeks ago so I loaded up some different rounds using 231, Trail Boss, and Tite Group. All of them were better than Unique, at least with the charges I started with. The Trail Boss and Tite Group were better though. The Tite Group was the best of the bunch. I loaded 6.8 gr of Tite Group under a 200 gr Chey Cast bullet. That one was so good, I loaded up some more using 7.0 gr which I will try this evening.

The Trail Boss was pretty dang accurate already using 6.0 gr with the same bullet. It was so nice to reload that tonight I will try some different charge sizes in it and see how they shoot. That is really the powder I'd like to use, although I don't think it can generate the same velocities as the Tite Group can. Oh, the Tite Group was also extremely clean burning as well.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5
joedapro

i have tried many powders and came back to unique. 8 grains makes one hole groups (sandbagged) at 50 feet with the rcbs 270 grain cast bullet (for some reason when i cast, it is 280 grains) out of my vaqueros.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
kraigwy

Since all guns are differant, one cant answer that question for your gun, I know what works in mine but my load may suck in your gun.

You have to try every combination possible and see what works for you and your gun.

On the Weds night guns shows on the outdoor channel Midway's add covers this. No two guns are the same.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 29, 2009, 04:34 PM   #7
gun44

Green Dot..........

I've been experimenting with Green Dot in the .45, and like 6.5 grs behind a 250 gr RNFP. Shoots about a 2-3 in group at 25 yards from my 4 5/8 in barreled Blackhawk. Haven't checked the velocity yet.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:48 AM   #8
velocette

I've found that in my Ruger Bisley, 7 grains of Unique and Mastercast 230 RNL bullets yields an accurate round that is easy on the hand. Raise the powder to 9 grains of UQ and it gets a bit bouncy but still accurate.

Roger
Old May 30, 2009, 08:40 AM   #9
sundog

Ah, a box of chocolates! I wonder which one tastes best? Do not assume that your Ruger is going to shoot cast very well from the get-go (especially in 45 Colt). You need to measure the chamber mouths for size and uniformity. If any of them are smaller than groove diameter you have the potential for leading and inaccuracy. Reamers are available for this (use with correct set pilots) or there is a guy on the web called cylindersmith who performs this service who is supposedly okay to deal with (don't know, I do my own - it's not that difficult). Assuming that the barrel is correctly dimensioned, then a chamber mouth of .4525 should be sufficient to deliver a properly sized cast bullet to the forcing cone (not too small).

That said, it is not all that difficult to work up a load. I've had very good result with both 200 and 255 gr cast (my own) with Red Dot and Green Dot. Half the fun is finding a load that works best.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:15 AM   #10
B.L.E.

Don't overlook black powder, it can be amazingly accurate, especially in an oversized case like the .45 LC originally designed for a compressed load of black powder.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Sarge

I've had excellent results with Missouri Bullets' 255 SWC and 250 RNFP using both W231 and HS6 powders. More here.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:36 PM   #12
EmptyHull

In place of Red Dot, has anyone used Promo? I use Promo in place of Red Dot for my skeet loads. Promo uses identical loads as Red Dot only a little more bulkier so you have to go up a couple bushings. The advantage of Promo over RD is that it is cheaper. Tim
Old June 9, 2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Pocketfisherman

I have a very accurate load for 45 LC that prints groups less than 2 inches at 25 yards from my Ruger 4" SA Blackhawk. Usually it's all holes touching. The load is a 200 Gr Ranier plated SWC bullet over 8.6 gr of W231. The bullet is seated with the shoulder just flush with the case mouth to an OAL of 1.575" It is equally as accurate out of my Wichester 94 trapper rifle. My Ruger is a late model Stainless version with throats right around .4515. .452 bullets are a tight press fit through the chamber throat, which I think is why it is so accurate. My older Ruger Bisley is not so nice in that respect.
Old July 10, 2009, 11:44 PM   #14
The Bolt Man

My Ruger Bisley in 45LC and my shooting buddy's Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC shoot one ragged hole groups at 50 feet with cast bullets ranging from 185 grain SWC to 260 grain RNFP bullets using Trail Boss powder. Trail Boss seems to be one of the most forgiving powders I have ever used. It performs best at the low and mid-range charges. Great for target shooting with mild recoil and great accuracy.

My Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. loves the Trail Boss and I enjoy the mild recoiling loads. I like to shoot a lot and a lot of magnum level loads is not fun for me any more.

I have tried four different brands of primers with the same loads and it is difficult to tell any difference in the groups.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:01 PM   #15
HOGGHEAD

45 Colt

For bullet choice I would go with a Keith style Cast bullet in the 255 grain weight. You can order these from any cast bullet mfr. With some of the mfrs. you can specify the exact size, and if you cast your revolver then you can specify that size to them. However .454 is the best size to start with.

For powder, if accuracy is the question. Then IMO you should go with a powder that gives good case fill. Personally I think 2400 is the best choice. And it is hard to beat the stand by load of 18.5 grains of 2400 with the Keith bullet.

Now if accuracy is really what you want, then the most important part is going to be your crimping. the 45 Colt requires a good solid crimp to ring all the accuracy from the cartridge.

I prefer the Redding roll crimp die.

When applying a heavy crimp the case length is very important. My most accurate 45 Colt loads come from the brass that is annealed, and trimmed to the exact length. Annealing will prevent splits-and drastically increase case life(especialy when heavy crimping).

Take your time and you can turn out some great 45 Colt loads. However believe me. The trick to accuracy is case capacity, and crimping. Tom.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Slamfire

Buy any commercial cast 255 LRN/LSWC. Ruger revolvers tend to throat close to 0.452, other brands have huge chamber mouths. I can't see any on target difference between a 0.452 and a 0.454 in a Ruger, and since the 0.454 will shoot better in revolvers with large chamber mouths, I would recommend buying the bigger diameter.

Than put 8.0 to 8.5 grains Unique in a case and go shoot.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds with powder charges in this range, and the rounds shoot very well. And in a wide variety of revolvers.
Old July 13, 2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Pocketfisherman

I have found a very accurate load in my Bisley Blackhaws to be a Berry or Ranier plated 200gr LSWC over 8.6 grns of W231. Seat the bullet just enough to get a roll crimp over the shoulder.
Old July 13, 2009, 02:31 PM   #18
zxcvbob

Quote:
In place of Red Dot, has anyone used Promo? I use Promo in place of Red Dot for my skeet loads. Promo uses identical loads as Red Dot only a little more bulkier so you have to go up a couple bushings. The advantage of Promo over RD is that it is cheaper. Tim
I think Promo is a little *less* bulky than Red Dot. I use it for moderately-hot .45 Colt loads (7.5 grains with 230 grain truncated cone boolit) and for moderately-hot .38 Special target loads (4.0 grains with 125 grain Berry's copper plated HP or Lee 120 grain boolit.) It's one of my favorite fast burning powders. I need to work up some .38 Special loads with it using 158 grain boolits (should be about 3.2 grains.)
Old July 13, 2009, 09:20 PM   #19
JayCee

Quote:
I need to work up some .38 Special loads with it using 158 grain boolits (should be about 3.2 grains.)
What's the difference between a bullet and a boolit? Is it pronounced BOO-lit? I see this word every so often, but haven't been able to figure out if it's a cutesy way of spelling "bullet" or whether it means something else altogether.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old July 13, 2009, 09:23 PM   #20
HOGGHEAD

Boolit

I am not exactly sure what the origin is. However a lot of us casters are a member of the Cast-Boolit forum. Tom.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:09 PM   #21
zxcvbob

Quote:
What's the difference between a bullet and a boolit?
I'm sorry, I forgot where I was. "Boolit" is the preferred spelling for a cast bullet at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ I didn't really mean to spell it that way here.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:37 PM   #22
JayCee

Thanks for enlightening me...

So "boolit" means "cast bullet" on the castboolits forum. Now I know...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan