The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 3, 2012, 11:51 AM   #51
MLeake

Seems to me, Old Crow, that you are the one who makes exaggerated claims.

Practice isn't necessary.

A shotgun in the toolbox of your truck is better than a pistol carried by a person.

You'll split skulls using your old, unpracticed skills.

And your training partner is a world champion martial artist.

Yeah, you're credible.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:02 AM   #52
Brit

Is There Any Possible Situation Where a Pistol is Superior to a Long Gun or SMG?

Not to start an argument (well maybe a little) the title, as above is kind of specific, butt stroking, and forward stabs, with barrel, are a bit of a stretch?

Some good posts here, the one major advantage I see.

You always have the pistol (well I do) so if it is all you have, it better be set up for gun fight (they do still happen) against a crew.

And long distance threats, they happen as well!

At 76, I have done all the boxing, street fighting I want to do. I was good at it too. The pistol can be a non verbal argument, presented were a confrontation (one you did not start) starts to go south!

It is so nice for an old Brit, from a Country that will put you in jail for defending yourself, to live in a State, that expects you to defend your self, and your family members. I am good at that too.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:32 AM   #53
L_Killkenny

Ok, we get it, yes a handgun is easier to carry and have with you all the time. I don't think the OP was asking about CC, maybe I'm wrong.

But let's be serious here, not all long guns are the same let alone if you throw SMG's into the mix. A gun can be too long to wield very effectively. That's a fact. But how long is too long varies with every person and every situation. But the one thing most handgun proponents seem to forget or ignore is that beyond anything but arm reach distances handguns are much harder to hit with especially under duress. Most over estimate their ability. They also seem to act as if they're clearing a house instead of huddling in a corner of their room with the PD on the phone. A good "short" long gun that points and aims naturally trumps a handgun in about any fight.

Sure there are situations that may break every rule. I can think of countless situations where having to use only one hand to shoot would be an advantage. But how many times do you see the military using handguns for clearing a building? What did the Seals use to take OBL? Not no stinkin handgun.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; September 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #54
Gunnut17

Quote:
I don't think the OP was asking about CC, maybe I'm wrong.
Indeed, I wasn't.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:33 PM   #55
farmerboy

I guess if I heard something at my house in the dark that sounded out of the ordinary. Id grab a long gun, probably a shotgun at night but would also have a pistol on my side. Things happen quick and if i had to shoot someone or at them Id diffenately do so with the shotgun. But if for any reson the gun jammed, never has in the past but if it did I'd have a pistol for backup. Or if you turned a corner and someone jump out in your face and you was fighting them then they'd get some lead shot from my pistol.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:11 PM   #56
Ideal Tool

Elmer Keith related one story of how a sixgun got the best of 3 riflemen... Friend of his was in Canadian army in first WW. got captured between lines by 3 Germans... who took his rifle, but neglected to search him. when star shell went off, they ducked for cover in large shell hole. By timing when star shells would go off..he pulled his S&W .455 Hand-Ejector & shooting fast double-action, got all three before they knew what was happening.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:04 PM   #57
theinvisibleheart

yes, in instances like:

- in tight spaces, like tunnel/cave
- when your other hand/arm/etc. is occupied for one reason or another(carrying critical object, support other folks, etc.)
- when your shoulder/hand/etc. is injured