The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1
vpr80

Powder and Belling Die in One for Single Stage Press?

Hi,
Wanted to find out whether I can save a step in my single-stage loading routine by combining the Belling and Powder drop steps in one. Right now it takes extra time to first bell the mouth and then drop the powder and then back to the press for the seating. Is there a die that can both bell the case and also take my Redding BR-30 on top of it? So that I can do both steps at once. I am using a Forster press with Redding dies.

Thank you.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
hk33ka1

I don't know what all will fit on it but Lee makes a Powder through expander die for all its straightwalled cases. (9mm .45-70 etc). The die comes stamdard with these calibres and can be bought on its own. The Lee powder funnel and several of their measures fit in it and can be activated by the case entering. It works in any press but I don't know if your Redding tool will fit in the top of it.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
dawico

Yep, Lee. My 9mm, 40, 45, and 500 magnum all measure .606 inside the top, so I am guessing they are all the same. Hope that helps.
Old February 27, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4
vpr80

If I am not mistaken, this Lyman die is exactly what I am looking for. Now I just need to confirm whether the BR-30 has 7/8x14 threading.

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-...system-1.shtml
Old February 27, 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
vpr80

Forget it. I just realized that it won't work on the Forster press. The handle goes above the die on the upstroke so it won't work. Ohhh well.
Old February 27, 2011, 06:17 PM   #6
johnjohn

I have a Lyman that I can mount a Lyman 55 measure on top of. When used on my turret the next die is the seating die. Works good.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
GP100man

I`ve used Lees autodisc system for yrs & for loading handgun ammo it`s tuff to beat !!!

For what Lee charges you can get the small press & have a dedicated charging station !!
Old February 28, 2011, 07:04 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

my Co-Ax

7.5 inches to its left I've mounted a LEE Reloader press; I mount my Lyman flare/drop-thru dies on it, and my Honady/Pacific measure on those.

Way fast for single-staging.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:58 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

If you purchase the Forster standard shell holder adapter, you can flare and dump powder in one step on a co-ax using a Lee die/PM or Lyman die and most other PMs. The ram just doesn't go all the way to the bottom (why you need the standard shell holder adapter) since the handle stays in front of the PM. Would work ok for pistol (short brass) but probably not rifle brass.

Andy
Old March 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Powder measure not necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80

Forget it. I just realized that it won't work on the Forster press. The handle goes above the die on the upstroke so it won't work. Ohhh well.
If you forego the powder measure, using dippers or scoops to drop the powder directly into the "powder-through" die, you should have no problem with the operating handle of the Forster.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep
Old March 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #11
WESHOOT2

The LEE Reloader press costs about $25.
Old March 2, 2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Dave R

Not only is the press cheap, but the Autodisk powder measure is pretty cheap, too, at around $30.

If you reload multiple handgun calibers, note that you can purchase a separate Autodisk for each powder-thru-expander die, and leave it attached. Then when you change dies, your powder measure is already set up and ready to drop charges. Way faast.

I do that with my Turret press. Each turret has its own Autodisk attached. Changing calibers is really fast that way. And great for small runs.