The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
TennJed

lee pro auto disk powder measure not accurate

i set up my lee classic turret and pro auto disk powder measure and it seems to be throwing an inaccurate charge....i wanted to use about 4.2 gr of unique for 38sp....according to the "book" that came with the powder measure disk 46 should drop 4.2 gr of unique....i am consistantly getting 3.3 to 3.4 grs...i am checking this against a franklin arsenal digital scale and a rcbs 5-10 balance scale.....either i did something wrong (which is possible) setting it up or something is wrong with the kit.....i set it up based on what i saw in the directions and a couple of you tube videos.....i did not set up the return spring chain becuase i could not find anything in the directions on how to install it......can anyone help
Old June 19, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
lamarw

I would recommend the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar vs. the disk. You can dial in the charge bar to your exact desired measurement. Like you, I never found the disk that accurate.

The charge bar is also easier to change powder loads than changing disk.

Just my personal observations.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
DocHoliday

Lee chart

I have found the charges vary from the provided chart as well. I imaging it is from variances in the manufactured disk. What I have done I purchased several spare disk and modified the chambers by sanding them slowly till I got the desired charge. Also I would try going up one size on the disk or so. It seems to be light but consistent so try a bigger charge setting. Also +1 to the above mentioned adjustable charge bare it is priceless when working up a load. Yet I prefer the fixed disk for production loads.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:13 PM   #4
TennJed

thanks guys...i guess the lee adjustable charge bar just sits in the same place as the disk?....do you need to take it off every time you want to make an adjustment?
Old June 19, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
cracked butt

Forget the charge charts.
Find the right cavity combination to get you close to the desired measured weight or use the adjustable charge bar.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
i set up my lee classic turret and pro auto disk powder measure and it seems to be throwing an inaccurate charge....i wanted to use about 4.2 gr of unique for 38sp....according to the "book" that came with the powder measure disk 46 should drop 4.2 gr of unique....i am consistently getting 3.3 to 3.4 grs...
1st,The "book" is just a guideline, not the absolute amount that the disc will throw. They purposely make them throw lite, because some people cheap out, don't buy a scale, just rely on the "book" to be right.

2nd, unique NEVER drops well in ANY measure.

3rd, for handgun, it doesn't have to be that exact.

Just get it close, go about your loading.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 19, 2011, 11:14 PM   #7
lamarw

Yes, the charge bar just sets in like you would place a disk except you only have one choice with the charge bar (makes life easier). You do not remove the charge bar to make adjustments. You simply dial it in until you reach the desired weight. Remember it takes two throws since the cavity might of compacted from the previous setting. When I think I am there, I weight about three or four throws for consistency before commencing loading.

When you want to change loads, simply dial it in again without having to remove the powder jar and spill powder. That alone makes it superior to having to remove the powder bottle and change the disk or the cavity of a disk. I have three sets of disk stored and retired under my work bench.

Here are a couple of pictures that say more than words. The first picture is with the charge bar in place (powder jug mounts over top). Second picture shows charge bar turned upside down. You see there is only one slot you have to match up with the lever of the powder dispenser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charge bar 1.jpg (242.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg charge bar 2.jpg (251.5 KB, 253 views)
Old June 20, 2011, 12:51 AM   #8
warnerwh

As stated above the charge chart is off and typically less powder is thrown. I know with Unique it is definately the case. Often I've had to go 2 sizes higher. Charges should be checked with a scale regularly. The part I like about having the disks is the charge is exactly the same every time you set up to load. The charge bar is probably a good thing to have though.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:23 AM   #9
pstrlipscomb

If you did not adjust the chain and you have set the disk into the slot with the desired cavity at the front of the press, then it is likely that the disc is not making a full trip and cannot fill the entire cavity.

Run the handle to the top;
Pull the chain all the way down so that the charging disc is as far back as it
can go;
Take the bell-shaped stop off of the chain and move it up to where the spring
will be slightly compressed with the handle at the uppermost position.
Lastly, make sure that the powder canister is turned fully open.

This has made mine work reliably for several years, and the charges have been very reliable although I have not used Unique. The only time this measure has let me down is when I loaded some brass that was already primed; since I did not need the complete cycle to seat the primer, I short-stroked a few and ended up with a kaboom in my new pistol.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Jim243

Do Not use the chain, it is for the Lee 1000 and Lee LoadMaster presses NOT for the Turret Presses.

You do need to use your pistol powder through die. Unscrew the top of the die and the Pro Auto Disk just screws into the die.

Jim
Old June 20, 2011, 07:56 AM   #11
TennJed

lamarw thanks...when you say you have to throw 2 charges do you mean when you first set it up to clear out any left over powder?...do you only charge it one time after that?
Old June 20, 2011, 10:41 AM   #12
lamarw

You got it. Yes, I just throw extra charges as a double check. I use a spent shell and then dump the powder back into the powder jar.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:01 PM   #13
piperman

Quote:
I know with Unique it is definately the case. Often I've had to go 2 sizes higher.
I have noticed this also with Unique, exactly two disk sizes higher for my loads too.

Steve
Old June 20, 2011, 07:13 PM   #14
CrustyFN

Like the others said the chart is off and only a guide line to get close. You will have the experiment a little to find the right cavity for the charge you want, not a big deal really. Once you find the right cavity the pro auto disk should throw very consistant charges.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:27 PM   #15
lamarw

My experience shows the charge bar also throws consistent charges. You simply have more control over the size charge you want to dial in within a tenth of a grain.

It is much easier than attempting to carve out a trial and error guess modification to a disk. Although, I have a lot of respect for a person with the patients and fortitude to modify a disk.

This is what Lee Precision has to say about the Charge Bar:

"Adjustable Charge bar infinitely adjustable between .28 and 1.6 cc. Lifetime nylon with solid brass, zero backlash micrometer. Easy to set."
Old June 22, 2011, 09:45 PM   #16
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I've used the Lee disks for years, even adding the dual setup when throwing larger charges. Yeah, the chart is on the low side for safety but I measure the charge each time I start a new session. I can't finesse the loads with the disks like I could if using the bar, but for my handgun loads it's not that important to me. Years back I did buy a stand alone Lee powder hopper with a infinite adjustable dispenser, but retired it almost immediately since it slowed down the reloading process being separate from the press.