The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2018, 03:11 PM   #51
Fishbed77

Quote:
Tokarevs are not carry guns, they're range guns and maybe home defense guns.
I would posit that they are just collectors' pistols and range toys at this point (Zastava or otherwise). The Tokarevs are well-made (if a bit rough-looking), reliable, and have great history, but time has long since passed the design (and the cartridge) by as the most intelligent choice for self defense.
Old January 17, 2018, 05:08 PM   #52
hdwhit

Taurus PT-111 Generation 2, 9mm medium frame, striker-fired pistol with 12 round magazine. Universally available under $300, occasionally under $200.

Long, clunky trigger pull, but otherwise serviceable. Owners on their user group (Taurusarmed.net) are generally pleased with reliability and performance.

Additional factory magazines available for reasonable price. Can also use certain SIG magazines. After market recoil spring assembly is available for about $35 to smooth out operations even further.
Old January 17, 2018, 05:18 PM   #53
jimbob86

Quote:
They're ugly and heavy, but for all the knocks on Hi-Points they actually do run. There's a reason it's the gat of choice in the hood.
IME, they work if you feed them FMJ ..... commonly accepted self defense ammo (JHP) will choke them every time.

IMO, the reason these guns are popular in the hood is the same reason FMJ is popular in the hood: it's the cheapest thing that goes bang!

As for Tokarevs not being "Carry Guns" ..... I'd much rather have a Toke that reliably feeds HP ammo than something that costs the same or less that does not, and is more concealable and accurate, to boot! If it's gotta be under $300, it's going to be a Tokarev copy, for me. YMMV.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:18 AM   #54
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
Allow me to paraphrase a few complaints about Zastava Toks that I've culled from past threads.
  • Trigger pull weight and quality differs pretty drastically between individual examples. Try before you buy if possible.
  • Lots of sharp edges inside the frame and slide; Zastava evidently does not expend much (if any) effort to tumble or deburr the pistols. Keep Band-Aids handy when cleaning!
  • Consistent reports that the pistols hit below POA, a difficult problem to remedy due to the already very tall and chisel-like rear sight.
  • The underlying Tokarev design has neither a firing pin block nor an intertial firing pin like a pre-Series 80 M1911; it's basically designed to be carried in Condition 3 and is NOT drop-safe in Condition 2.* Condition 1 carry is theoretically safe, but you have to use the Zastava's somewhat awkward slide-mounted up-for-fire thumb safety.
*FOOTNOTE: Some Tok fans argue that the very stout half-cock notch serves as a Condition 2 safety device. I'm not convinced. YMMV.

IMHO most pistols suggested in this thread are better values unless you absolutely insist upon having a brand-new 9mm that's absolutely as thin as possible, and even if this were the case, I would personally haunt my local retailers and see who's clearing out the now-discontinued S&W Shield 9mm "M1.0;" there are bound to be some deals popping up out there.
Yeah I have read about them quite a bit. I have wanted one for awhile.

The first pistol I ever fired was a Norinco 213 9mm Tokarev. I loved that gun. I love the thinness of the Tok as well. I personally wouldn't carry one because I have more suitable guns for that. I would probably stash it in a drawer and shoot it at the range.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2018, 01:30 PM   #55
elde

Picked up a new "updated" Beretta Pico for $160 last year. Absolutely reliable with HPs and accurate with the factory sights. Liked it so much I bought another and retired my LCPs.
Old January 21, 2018, 03:25 AM   #56
crusader4x

+1 to the Sar CM9 Gen2. $270 at an online seller.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old January 21, 2018, 10:00 AM   #57
brian33x51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
Taurus PT-111 Generation 2, 9mm medium frame, striker-fired pistol with 12 round magazine. Universally available under $300, occasionally under $200.

Long, clunky trigger pull, but otherwise serviceable. Owners on their user group (Taurusarmed.net) are generally pleased with reliability and performance.

Additional factory magazines available for reasonable price. Can also use certain SIG magazines. After market recoil spring assembly is available for about $35 to smooth out operations even further.
Recoil spring assemblies are about 25usd shipped. The trigger...hit or miss, make sure you get one that doesn't have a false "wall" (caused by the safety blade). Otherwise a slightly complicated trigger swap can be done in a couple of hours with tools for 25usd.

Cabelas has been running these on and off for 199usd, I've seem them also for 179usd in the past.

The shield is a better out of box pistol but I doubt you'll find those for 205usd again, but they do sometimes come up for just under 300usd.
Old January 21, 2018, 04:19 PM   #58
bn12gg

Jennings J22..... First shot reliable with mine. After that it's anyone's guess re further shots or a jam. Nice ones can be had for $80 +/-. .... J22 the classic "Saturday Night Special."

.02. David.
Old January 21, 2018, 04:35 PM   #59
JohnKSa
Staff

Spend a little time shopping CDNN's website, or J&G Sales website and it very rapidly becomes apparent that it is possible to get a quality firearm--even a new one--for under $300. You can even get under $200 if you're willing to be flexible.
Old January 22, 2018, 08:50 AM   #60
HistoryJunky

Gun.deals is also a good enabler.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 22, 2018, 09:32 AM   #61
Viper225

I know you are looking at bargain basement new guns. Before I would purchase a sub $300 new pistol, I would check out Police Trade in Glocks and Sigs. You will get a lot more gun for your $$$. They are normally maintained reasonably well, repaired when required, and not shot much at all.

Bob R