The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 15, 2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Targa

Refinishing the stock on my Rossi 92?

Hi all, I would like to finish the stock on my Rossi. I know some of you....COSteve maybe one of you if I remember correctly.?.?..have really made there standard Rossi stocks shine. Pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Darrin.
Old December 15, 2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

I've done it on an older Winchester buttstock with excellent results. I lightly sanded the stock being careful not to take the surface down below its proper interface with the mating steel parts. In my case, the wood was a little paler than I preferred, so I gave it a little bit of dark walnut stain, even though the wood itself is walnut, and let it dry. Afterwards, I used pure Teak-wood Oil, hand rubbed, dried overnight near the wood-stove and a repeat the next night. It's been a couple of years now and I might re-oil it this Winter, but it looks exactly like the fore-stock, which I have done nothing to as it had no real need of it. It looks right; it looks correct; this being a circa 1942 vintage model 94 that has seen considerable use. One of the reasons I chose Teak-wood oil is because it has good UV-resistance. It's not glossy, which I wouldn't want anyway. Think and choose carefully what you want to use for your finish. You can have the best water-resistant finish, but if it isn't UV resistant, the Sun will wreck it.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:29 PM   #3
MountainMan83

I was just in a frenzy to finish a sporter stock for my 1903 Springfield. It is a shiny rifle and I wanted to keep it that way, I used FamoWood two-part table top epoxy. Thing came out so shiny I could shave using my reflection in it! I achieved a finish so thick and shiny in three days that would take 30+ coats of varnish or urethane and is probably stronger too. This stuff is waterproof and has so far proven itself out in the freezing cold hunting weather.
Old December 16, 2017, 03:47 AM   #4
Ibmikey

Wood on Rossi’s is some kind of unknown tree and lacks any sort of grain in most, refinishing it is not normally going to produce something beautiful.
Old December 16, 2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Targa

Thank you all for the info. As for looking beautiful, I will take just looking better...
Old January 11, 2018, 02:12 PM   #6
hanleyfan

I beg to differ, I refinished two rossi's and they came out beautifull, after I stripped off that old black finished they both revealed a nice grained wood stock, totally surprised me. Mine came off with warm soapy water, dried it out and applied 4 coats of true oil as stated on bottle. they don't look like the same guns.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:37 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...or urethane..." No urethane. That's plastic and it ruins even plain wood. Use pure tung oil. The more coats(one per day with 24 hours between 'em) you rub in, the shinier the end result gets.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:43 PM   #8
zipspyder

Tru-oil. Not like you can make the stock any worse.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Ricklin

Tru oil fan

I like tru oil. I've done a couple of guns with it and am always pleased.

Only thing I don't like is the hand rubbing. I wear Nitrile exam gloves for the hand rubbed coats. Makes no difference in the finish, and keeps the oil off my hands.
I don't think Latex gloves would work, Nitrile is very chemical resistant.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Pathfinder45

Now that it's been almost a month, perhaps the deed is done. Hopefully we will get a full report with pictures.....
Old January 11, 2018, 05:28 PM   #11
Buzzcook

Go down to your local Swerwin Williams store (or similar) and get a guy to walk you through the process.

The hard part is removing the old finish and prepping the wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3RJU9Dhngg
Old January 11, 2018, 05:36 PM   #12
shootniron

I just used Tru oil on mine...rubbed with steel wool and applied a coat, allowed it to dry several days and repeated it 4 or 5 times...rubbed with steel wool after all coats except the last one. It turned out great.

Last edited by shootniron; January 11, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:37 AM   #13
Targa

Quote:
Now that it's been almost a month, perhaps the deed is done. Hopefully we will get a full report with pictures.....
Not done yet. We are nearing a move so I am holding off until that is finished next month. I like the true oil idea, I want to keep this simple.... Thanks again for the ideas, I will post a pic of how it turns out once I finish.