The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360728646.916968.jpg

Blackberry phone holder. See?

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Gaerek

Quote:
What's your source for that style of mag holder? Thanks
Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a few days. I ordered it from:

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.php

It's the Joab Appendix carry. There's a holster and a mag pouch. I don't have the holster, but I ordered the Mag pouch. It actually came in a few days ago (he says he has a 2 week backup on orders right now, but mine shipped in a week). I've been using it since I got it and I love it. I hardly know it's there. It's very comfortable, and since it sits along the belt instead of perpendicular to it, it's easy to conceal and it doesn't dig into my stomach when I sit down. It holds the mag very nicely, and ha adjustable retention. It's a bit spendy (about $50 after shipping), but worth it, I think.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:59 PM   #28
ClydeFrog

Good topic....

This is a good subject.
I gave this point some thought a few years back & decided I'd carry spare mags in rear/back hip(right side). I'm left handed & would want to maintain the same draw/reload method for duty-uniform details as a EP or concealed carry(off duty) draw.

The back-rear carry method would conceal the spare mags but still have a swift smooth motion.

Muscle memory & reflex are common too. You won't shift around looking for magazines in a high stress event. ;
Old February 16, 2013, 11:58 AM   #29
meanmachine1961

My main CCW is a S&W Shield and I carry a spare mag in a Leatherman multi tool pouch on my weak side.
Old February 16, 2013, 02:35 PM   #30
treg

Generally in the truck or cantle bag.

Last edited by treg; February 17, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #31
bikerbill

If I carry a spare, it's in my weakside pocket ...
Old February 16, 2013, 10:21 PM   #32
Mello2u

dillonprecision.com sells this item.
They call it: SOS-DL (One Magazine, One Tactical Light Pouch)
" Frederic Bastiat
Old February 20, 2013, 09:48 PM   #33
Bill56

If I'm lazy, I carry one in my weak side cargo pants front pocket. When more industrious, in a Jeff Hays OWB mag carrier.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:48 AM   #34
mbrittb00

Doesn't carrying spare mags OWB (unless it is a discrete pouch like one that looks like a knife pouch), kinda defeat the purpose of CC?
Old February 21, 2013, 12:53 AM   #35
mbrittb00

Also, are there any pouches that are better for single stack mags, as opposed to the wider double stack mags? I've got a Shield (single stack) and am specifically looking for one that covers the mag (like a knife pouch on the belt look).
Old February 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #36
ccwnut

I carry my spare magazine in my left front pocket, if I've got the 709 Slim on me.
However, I plan to get an XDM9 Compact or XDM40 Compact sometime this year, so IWB all the way.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #37
ChrisJ715

Back left pocket.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:59 AM   #38
zincwarrior

Quote:
Also, are there any pouches that are better for single stack mags, as opposed to the wider double stack mags? I've got a Shield (single stack) and am specifically looking for one that covers the mag (like a knife pouch on the belt look).
The one I noted was good for both 1911 mag and M&P as it was slightly flexible.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #39
Gaerek

Quote:
Doesn't carrying spare mags OWB (unless it is a discrete pouch like one that looks like a knife pouch), kinda defeat the purpose of CC?
It depends. Many people can conceal a handgun in an OWB holster. Under a concealing garment, even if the mag pouch prints, it'll look like a cell phone holder, or knife holder. However, I have an OWB mag pouch that conceals very well, under nothing more than a T-shirt. I've already mentioned it in this thread, the Dale Fricke horizontal mag pouch.

Obviously if you're wearing a tucked shirt, it's not going to work, but in that case most traditional methods of concealment won't work anyway, unless you have a coat or vest on over, in which case, this mag pouch would still work.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #40
p95

CC Where to you carry your extra magazine(s)

I just applied for my ccw and I bought a fobus double mag paddle holster for my 1911 mags, easy on/off, secure and hides easily under an untucked shirt.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:07 PM   #41
Polinese

I have a kydex holster from comp tac for my spare mag that i carry on my support hand side behind an Ontario Rat 3 knife. Works well for me, and helps balance out the P2000 on the other side.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #42
Crankylove

When I carry a spare magazine, it goes in my back pocket (weak hand side).
Old February 22, 2013, 08:26 AM   #43
2000ShadowACE

I wear a vest for work (photographer) to carry extra lenses, notebooks, etc... I decided to upgrade and got a concealment vest from Sportsmansguide. It has three inside pockets to carry a variety of different sized weapons and has five magazine pockets and six shell loops for small caliber cartridges. I usually carry an LCR or J-frame, but one of the pockets is big enough to fit a full sized 1911 if I so desire. I don't know what your situation is, but a concealment vest is a great option.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #44
NC Cruffler

All of my carry holsters have a mag pouch attached.

Old February 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #45
Polinese

Mbritt I wear either a button down shirt untucked, or a cover jacket and have never had anyone notice (at least not vocalize to me) that they knew it was there, other than people who already knew I had it. Both the gun, mag, and knife are OWB on my setup, with a flashlight clipped to my pocket.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #46
pete2

I don't carry extra mags.
Old March 14, 2015, 05:59 AM   #47
dayman

I cc a glock 19, so the mags aren't super easy to pocket.
In the winter I carry a spare mag in my jacket/vest pocket. In the summer I either use a kydex belt pouch, or don't carry one.
I generally wear blackhawk shorts in the summer, so they do have mag loops in the cargo pockets, and I've tried to use them a few times, but the mags seem to hit me in the knees when I walk.
Old March 14, 2015, 08:10 AM   #48
jr24

Quote:
I cc a glock 19, so the mags aren't super easy to pocket.
Funny how people differ, I've found the easiest way to carry a spare for my Glock 21 (or 30S) is in my weak side pocket next to my cell phone.

Normally I carry a spare in a pouch on my weak side hip. Generally harder to keep from printing than the gun, but with how often folks carry cellphone/knife pouches in their belts, I'm not worried about it.

I always carry a spare mag or speed strip, depending on my CCW.
Old March 14, 2015, 11:49 AM   #49
Snyper

Quote:
The LCP mag is pretty small for most pouches I have seen.
Lowe's usually has some generic knife and flashlight/tool pouches that would be the right size

I've used eyeglass pouches with a belt clip for some mags
Old March 14, 2015, 12:32 PM   #50
osbornk

I never carry an extra mag. If I need more than 17 or 7 (depending on which gun I am carrying), I don't think more ammo would help me. Other than in the movies or on TV, I have never heard of a gunfight in real life where it would be necessary. I don't go to the slums in big cities.