The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Hammerhead

Quote:
Shall I say LCR in .357???
As long as you don't say ouch at the recoil of a lightweight .357.
For most noobes and some of us old timers, it can be a bit much.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #27
hdbiker

.22 revolver ?

I bought a new Ruger Single Six convertable 40 years ago for 79.00 dollars.I was fired so much that it got out of time and was spitting lead out of the cyl. gap.A call to Ruger and they said send it in for safty check.They retimed the action,recut the forcing cone.installed a new front sight ( it always shot high ),and toucked up the finish,NO CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Hows that for customer service ? biker
Old January 28, 2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
I don't like the front sight of the single ten (but that can be changed out). And for aesthetics, the Single-Ten is just wrong . A Single Action is a 'six-shooter'.
A single action does not have adjustable sights--get a colt peacemaker. It really sounds like a real cowboy gun, unlike the single six.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:03 PM   #29
Dragline45

Quote:
Shall I say LCR in .357???
My first carry gun was a S&W 60 in .357. I sold it for an older 640 in .38 special and never looked back. Magnum rounds are kind of pointless in short barrels. You get the extra recoil, muzzle flash, and bark without really gaining that much over a .38. You really need at least a 4" barrel to take full advantage of the .357 magnums potential, which is why I recommend to everyone looking for a snub to stick with .38 Special.

Quote:
A single action does not have adjustable sights--get a colt peacemaker. It really sounds like a real cowboy gun, unlike the single six.
Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Single Six, and Single Ten all have adjustable sights, all are single actions.

That is unless you meant by your comment that single actions should not have adjustable sights. If that's the case I agree and prefer the Vaquero over the adjustable sight black hawk.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 28, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:41 PM   #30
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
That is unless you meant by your comment that single actions should not have adjustable sights. If that's the case I agree and prefer the Vaquero over the adjustable sight black hawk.
I prefer my 6 shooters loaded with 5, and sound like six shooters. Out with the rugers.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #31
Dragline45

Quote:
I prefer my 6 shooters loaded with 5, and sound like six shooters. Out with the rugers.
I would take Rugers transfer bar and being able to safely load and carry 6 than 5 any day over having a half cock function and the gun sounding more like a traditional single action when I cock the hammer. How a gun sounds when I work the action is the least of my concerns, being able to carry the gun fully loaded safely is much more important to me.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #32
Sevens

Yup, and to a lot of folks as well, however, there's a H-U-G-E bunch of folks who don't feel that way. And it shouldn't be too hard to imagine...

A lot of folks choose a slow, old-tech single action because it's nostalgic. You apparently don't want "full" nostalgia. (I don't, either) Others do.

That's why old model Ruger single actions often go for a premium in their unaltered condition.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:39 PM   #33
shafter

To me the Single Six is not a pistol that I enjoy punching paper with at the range. It's very accurate and can certainly be used for some precise shooting if one wishes.

The Single Six is a trail or plinking gun. It's perfect for having a ton of informal fun at the rock pit or back woods. It may be a bit slower to load and unload but look at that as an advantage. You won't burn through your bulk packs so quickly which is an important consideration these days.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:57 PM   #34
eldermike

I shot my single six in hunter pistol matches for years. Also shot the contender in 22lR but in revolver the single six was going to win it was just a matter of who, not what gun.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:53 PM   #35
Magnum Wheel Man

I can't recommend the single 10... in fact I disliked mine so much I tore it apart ( well actually it's in the process of gettin a new barrel, new cylinder, & a center fire conversion... more on that later )

I love the feel of the gun, & maybe if it had a reverse indexing pawl, I would have warmed up to it, but with all the tiny holes almost touching each other, I found it too easy to slip just past that hole for the extractor, & to have to role a full rotation to get there again... if the 22 cases just slid out like my 45's that might have helped, but they all need to feel the rod, & I found when trying to speed shoot I kept missing a hole...

Love my single action revolvers, but would suggest the single six if you were going that route... but as a companion gun to your auto, the SP 101 is definately the way to go in the Ruger revolvers...