The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2017, 04:18 PM   #1
johnelmore

Anything labeled "Tactical" means twice the price!

I cant seem to comprehend how everything labeled tactical is twice the price. Even Dickies shirts. Their tactical shirts and pants seem no different from others they sell yet they are twice the price. I have to laugh at the audacity. There is someone, somewhere showing off his tactical model to someone.

Its amazing how manufacturers of firearms and gear will market the exact same thing but with different words to wow the unsuspecting soul....
Old January 26, 2017, 05:02 PM   #2
FITASC

Same with "gun" cleaning, "gun" lubrication, "gun" tools, and on and on. Also applies to ANY expensive hobby/sport. Any common item specially packaged and labeled for an expensive hobby becomes 2-4X more expensive.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 26, 2017, 05:23 PM   #3
MarkCO

It is called marketing and free market. If you had a product that you could make a few more dollars on if it was labeled with just another word, doubt you would not take advantage of it.

Don't buy it, pass it by, tell the company why...but don't whine online. That is just as bad.
Old January 27, 2017, 01:32 AM   #4
bamaranger

price

I can't believe the price of ANYTHING related to hunting and shooting these days. Leaf through the "Rifleman" and almost all firearms reviewed have a four figure price tag. Same with optics. Who would have thought .22lr ammo would have gotten to where it's at? ATV's and quads.....more than the value of any of my full size well used 4wd's. And a decent used 4x4 truck, more than the price of my house and property 20 yrs ago. A NEW truck.....forget it.
Old January 27, 2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Its amazing how manufacturers of firearms and gear will market the exact same thing but with different words to wow the unsuspecting soul...
Build it and they will come. Gimmick, shtick, as long as people keep buying the special worded products manufactures will continue to make and sell the product. Sort of store brand verses name brand all is the same except the packaging.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 28, 2017, 04:12 AM   #6
Snyper

Sometimes the "tactical" clothing has more pockets, or specially designed pockets that aren't all that obvious. Most of it is designed to trap Mall Ninjas though.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:47 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Yep. Been saying that for years. The term is a marketing term only. Anything that's black and has Velcro is deemed 'Tactical'. Just like my $10(that are now $17) Chinese runners from Wally World. The marketing buzz word used to be "Law Enforcement" or "Police".
Anything with the word "gunsmith's" or "reloading" on it costs more too.
Old January 29, 2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Dufus

I find that the markups are more on the retailer end of the deal than the manufacturers.
Old January 29, 2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Chainsaw.

Along with "Marine" (boats not military) or "bridal". People are victims of advertising, thats hows DeBeers makes everyone thing diamonds are rare and valuable. Its all baloney.
Old January 30, 2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Tuzo

Tactical pink

Black is not the only correct tactical color. Pink and lavender are in vogue as well for tactical operations. No kidding: Midway and Cabela's offer gun cases in these colors.

Nearby Bass Pro Shop has a section of tactical gear landmarked by a male mannequin outfitted with the proper black stuff. Extra pockets, velcro, and zippers qualify clothing and gear bags as tactical.

Lately seeing "sniper" in lieu of "tactical" in some gear descriptions. This is marketing genius.
Old January 31, 2017, 07:13 PM   #11
pnac

Wha-what! Are you telling me that my ultra badass paracord bracelet is not really coo-ol? I'm crushed...sniff.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old February 1, 2017, 01:03 AM   #12
stagpanther

My rifles are sniper-grade. Wanna buy one?
Old February 3, 2017, 02:50 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
I can't believe the price of ANYTHING related to hunting and shooting these days. Leaf through the "Rifleman" and almost all firearms reviewed have a four figure price tag. Same with optics. Who would have thought .22lr ammo would have gotten to where it's at? ATV's and quads.....more than the value of any of my full size well used 4wd's. And a decent used 4x4 truck, more than the price of my house and property 20 yrs ago. A NEW truck.....forget it.
I would not walk cross the street to watch an ant eat a bail of hay, but reloaders are impressionable and they insist the new reloader jump in at a dead run with the latest, newest fanciest equipment.

F. Guffey
Old February 3, 2017, 07:49 PM   #14
Rembrandt

Someone discovered long ago that if you offer a particular item in "Pink".....women will pay substantially more for it. Been married for over 40 years and I'm still scratching my head wondering why they do what they do.
Old February 5, 2017, 08:48 AM   #15
Justice06RR

Quote:
It is called marketing and free market. If you had a product that you could make a few more dollars on if it was labeled with just another word, doubt you would not take advantage of it.

Don't buy it, pass it by, tell the company why...but don't whine online. That is just as bad.
Its not necessarily whining. Just an observation (and disdain) by some gun owners.

I do not like that marketing gimmick myself. Sometimes the word "Custom" gets used also which somehow makes it better or pricier. Like a DPMS AR15 or IO AK47 should cost hundreds more than a cheaper but more reliable brand e.g. Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport etc.

I would prefer a reputable firearm such as Colt in stock form, over another gun that someone else has modified and calls "tactical" or "custom". That custom paint job or extra accessories does not make it more deadly or efficient.