The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 7, 2017, 04:30 PM   #51
HiBC

On DBM's

They vary in design.Some are cheesy. I'm thinking battle is as serious as hunting cape buffalo.
I don't think there is a lot of problem with detachable magazines falling out of battle rifles and carbines.
Poor design and poor materials CAN be a problem with any system.

Laws vary by state.Colorado is quite serious about having a loaded round in the chamber in a vehicle.Just don't!
Howfever,rounds in a magazine are not an issue,at least from a hunting standpoint.Local/metro rules may be different.

As far as a DBM for firepower purposes,IMO,its not a consideration hunting.
Even with magazines that are 3 + 1 in magnum cartridges,I often walk with an empty chamber.A total of three in the gun really should be plenty.

My point, junk is junk,but between the classic fixed bolt action mag and a DBM,pick one.It makes no difference.
I like the fixed ones.I'm not all that impressed by hinged floorplates.I've seen those dump.