The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 24, 2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Orion6

Let's talk about Boyd's stocks...

Thinking of picking up a Boyd's stock for my Venture and/or Remington 783. I have always preferred a wood stock, and like the tons of checkering styles Boyd's offers.

I do have some questions though -

Both the Venture and 783 are considered to have some of the "better" synthetic stocks on value rifles. The 783 is even pillar bedded, albeit not in a fancy way.

How well is a Boyd's going to fit without me bedding it? I'd just like to hear some experiences from folks who have bought one for a "value" class rifle (Marlin X series, Savage 110, Ruger American, etc.) and whether or not it HAD to be glass bedded or pillar bedded.

Thanks!
Old October 24, 2014, 11:35 AM   #2
tahunua001

my mosin nagant needed some special fitting to the stock, be prepared to use a dremel and spend a couple hours fitting.
Old October 24, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Polinese

I've used two, 1 on a savage axis, 1 on a savage 10 and they were both drop in. I did have the axis pillar bedded later on but it made no discernable difference. With the 10 I did have to get new action screws and even the ones savage sent me weren't long enough (this was for the platinum stock) ended up at the hardware store to get a screw long enough.

I haven't tried one of their walnut stocks but the two laminates i have (one with the black textured paint) are both great. Big improvement to the factory stocks, I"ve handled a venture and still think it would be an improvement. Much more rigid/solid.
Old October 24, 2014, 07:15 PM   #4
1ruralmailman

i put a laminated one on a savage axis it made a world of diference in the handling.it is a quantum leap in stiffness compared to the factory stock.
Old October 24, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
baddarryl

I put a walnut in my Marlin xl7 and it was drop in.
Old October 24, 2014, 08:48 PM   #6
NHSHOOTER

I have 2 Boyd thumbhole stocks, 1 on my ruger Hawkeye, dropped right in and 1 on my Tikka T3 lite, also a drop in, if it wouldnt have been I would have been real dissapointed, I sent them my Tikka lite so they could use it as a pattern. Mine was the first.
To add, both of the stocks improved accuracy on the rifles I put them on.
Old October 24, 2014, 08:49 PM   #7
steveNChunter

I've got one on a Savage Axis and it fit great without any modification or fitting. I was thinking of bedding it but it shoots three shot groups in the .2's and .3's at 100 yards so I really doubt it can be improved upon much without changing the shooter

I also have one on a Remington 700 and a model 7. The 700 fit perfect, the model 7 had to have a few minutes with a dremel to get the bolt release to work properly. For the price I'm VERY pleased with them.

They have alot of great custom options as well (although some of them are a tad cheesy). I like the 90 degree finish option, upgraded recoil pad, and stippling.

I have an old 1st-gen Ruger M77 that I think I'm going to order another Boyd's stock for soon. Oh and probably also one for my CZ 455 varmint.
Old October 24, 2014, 09:43 PM   #8
dakota.potts

Great stocks, all 3 of mine have required minor inletting. Two needed sand paper and some filing, the third required me to countersink a screw hole a little bit deeper for the stock screw to fit. No big deal on any of them once I figured out where stock needed to be removed.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:18 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

Hey steveNChunter, Would you happen to have a picture of your model 7 with the boyds stock? I have a model 7 and have been thinking about putting a boyds on it but I wasnt sure if the forend would be to long according to their measurements. Also, did it improve the accuracy?
Old October 25, 2014, 11:04 AM   #10
wogpotter

Mine needed final fitting. Mostly they left extra wood so I was removing material, but in some places I needed to add shims to get the bedding right.
In practical terms its as good as is practical when the CNC tape is cut for a generic action, not your own personal one.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 25, 2014, 08:53 PM   #11
steveNChunter

NHSHOOTER- Here's a pic of my(by my I mean my wife's) model 7 .243 in a Boyd's stock.

It's the wife's deer rifle. The stock is a Prairie Hunter in Nutmeg with the 90 degree finish, and a shortened LOP with the Limbsaver recoil pad bringing the LOP to 13.25".

This model 7 has an 18.5" barrel, some have 20" barrels and I think the 7mm SAUM rifles have 22" barrels. The forend looks decently proportionate to me even with the 18.5" barrel.

As far as accuracy, the groups aren't really any tighter but it's more consistent. The original stock was one of those el-cheapo hardwood stocks that the basic model 7's came with back in the 90's.

With that stock it was shooting a three shot group between 1.5 and 2 MOA. Considering the pencil barrel, pressure point, and light loads I load for my wife, I thought that was pretty good.

The Boyd's stock floated the barrel, and I wasn't sure if this would help or hurt the tiny barrel's accuracy. After the stock change, the first cold bore shot is within 1/2 MOA of point-of-aim, second shot pretty close to the first, third shot walking high. This is simply the nature of the pencil barrel. But it's not meant to be a target rifle, it's a hunting rifle, so if more than one shot at a time is needed, it's not the rifle's fault.
Old October 26, 2014, 04:38 PM   #12
NHSHOOTER

Thanks for the picture and the info steve, I have been considering a thumbhole for my model 7..After seeing the picture of yours I think my mind has been make up.
Old October 26, 2014, 05:42 PM   #13
steveNChunter

Here are my other Boyd's stocks for the sake of the OP's consideration-

Remington 700 in .308, 16.25" barrel, Boyd's featherweight thumbhole in pepper, left hand thumbhole right hand action, 90 degree finish, limbsaver pad

Savage Axis stainless in .223, Boyd's Prairie Hunter in pepper, stippling pattern #2

Last edited by steveNChunter; October 26, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old October 26, 2014, 06:16 PM   #14
cptjack

boyd on a 700 bdl a little fat around the pistol grip area and the floor plate was routed 1/16 "too big
Old October 26, 2014, 09:02 PM   #15
riche

Boyds

Here's a pic of my Rem. ADLs, all the thumbholes are Boyds stocks, all were a drop in fit except for the gray laminate one. The front action hole was drilled a little off, a little work with a round file, and everything was fine.

Old October 27, 2014, 04:27 AM   #16
NHSHOOTER

just love those thumbholes!!! Great looking rifles richie!!
Old October 27, 2014, 08:29 AM   #17
wogpotter

The stocks are fine,but beware customer service. Be advised you are on your own after the sale.

Old October 27, 2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Orion6

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old October 27, 2014, 09:09 PM   #19
reynolds357

If you are not planning on bedding the Boyds stock, I would leave the rifle in the factory stock. I have yet to see a Boyds stock that I would even attempt to use un-bedded.
Old October 27, 2014, 10:31 PM   #20
Orion6

Quote:
If you are not planning on bedding the Boyds stock, I would leave the rifle in the factory stock. I have yet to see a Boyds stock that I would even attempt to use un-bedded.
Would the Miles Gilbert Bedrock bedding kit from Midway be decent enough to use?
Old October 28, 2014, 04:50 AM   #21
steveNChunter

Quote:
The stocks are fine,but beware customer service. Be advised you are on your own after the sale.
I have never had to use their customer service, but I've read threads on TFL and other forums that were actually bragging on Boyd's customer service. Do you have a specific instance where you were wronged by them in some way?
Old October 28, 2014, 12:43 PM   #22
wogpotter

Yes & its been documented on here.

Old October 28, 2014, 04:07 PM   #23
NHSHOOTER

I dont know about having to bed a boyds stock, I have 2 that shoot sub MOA right out of the box.
Old October 28, 2014, 05:57 PM   #24
reynolds357

Orion, I am sure it would work, but the last few rifles I have done I have done with J.B. weld boat hull repair putty. Easy and not messy. From what I can tell, it seems to be every bit as strong as the glass used in the glass bedding kits. Use car wax for release agent.
Old October 28, 2014, 07:28 PM   #25
steveNChunter

Quote:
J.B. weld boat hull repair putty
Interesting... I may have to try that