The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Clevinger

Where Do You Guys Get Your Ithacas?

I'm sold on an Ithaca 37 featherlight in 12 gauge, but I can't find one anywhere.

Cabelas had a Deerslayer and 20 gauge featherlight. The other dealers in the area listed on Ithaca's website don't have them in stock.

Did you guys have to special order your Ithacas?
Old June 26, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

If they are not available in your area, look at places on the internet - there are many - and order one in to your local FFL for transfer
Old June 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
shnike

I just picked mine up from Cabelas. They had a Deerslayer, 28 gauge, and 12 and 20 Featherlight in stock. I bought one of the two 20's they had in.
I believe Ithaca can ship to any FFL if you buy directly from them and I know Cabelas can order them for you. They only stock certain models and configurations (for example the only 12 gauge they have is the 28" barrel model and the only 20 gauge is the 26") but they said they could order a 16 gauge for me or the 12 ga with 26" barrel or if I wanted the 20 gauge with the 28" barrel. I just happen to want the 20 gauge with the 26" that was already in stock.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
shnike

P.S. My 37 is a great gun. Markedly better quality than the Mossberg 500 I owned years ago. I can't even really justify comparing the two. Haven't shot it yet, but it just looks and feels so right.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Jimbo-Indy

Got this form a friend who bought it at an auction.

OOPS, guess you were reffering to something a little more modern than 1908
Old June 28, 2013, 08:38 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

The nice thing about Ithaca is they support the Model 37 no matter when you got it or how old it is.

I was at the factory tour and asked the service manager, Zak, if he could drill and tap my 1975 M37 for scope mounts, he took the gun and said I'll have it for you tonight.

During the Ithaca gathering the factory stored all of our guns in their safe till the evening and delivered them to where we met at night. These people go a long way to support the Ithaca gun owners.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; June 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Clevinger

Alright...

I ordered an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight with a 28" vent rib barrel in 12 gauge today. I had to special order it through a local store.

I wanted a good, solid, reliable, well-made, all-around shotgun that would last a lifetime. Part of me kind of likes their uniqueness in this day and age. They aren't as prevalent as Wingmasters, for example.

Good purchase?
Old June 28, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

I have to tell you this Ithaca won't last a lifetime.

It will last several lifetimes!

Yesterday I shot with a guy that was using his dad's 1940 Model 37 and he was crushing those birds.

The bad part was I know I hitting them but they must have been made of cast iron, just wouldn't break

Last edited by jaguarxk120; June 28, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:24 PM   #9
drcook

Quote:
Alright...

I ordered an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight with a 28" vent rib barrel in 12 gauge today. I had to special order it through a local store.

I wanted a good, solid, reliable, well-made, all-around shotgun that would last a lifetime. Part of me kind of likes their uniqueness in this day and age. They aren't as prevalent as Wingmasters, for example.

Good purchase?
I did the tour also. I was checking the place out based upon my background when I was younger. I did tool and die work and really high precision stuff.

I can say that the current iteration of Ithaca has a commitment to quality that is second to none. Each and every part is machined. Some of the trigger guards are precision cast and machined where needed. (Rugers are precision cast, Shiloh Sharps are precision cast and no one carps about them).

The remainder of the parts are machined from bar stock. They have tools and fixtures for inspecting the parts as they are produced. The current owner has invested in high dollar CNC machines and has adopted practices that ensure quality.

Those guns are worth every penny that you pay for them.

You do realize that Ithacas multiply in your gun safe, don't you ? They are like a certain brand of tater chips in the fact that you can't own just one.
Old June 29, 2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Sheikyourbootie

Drcook...you are right about the Ithacas reproducing prolifically in the gun safe.