The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
JayRah

Phoenix HP22

Ok...yeah I know its a cheap gun, but I had one a few years ago and traded it at a gun show. I remember it being a really fun gun and now that 22lr is "in stock" I really like the size for a back-up conceal/ankle carry. I am wondering what others think about this firearm, whats the recommended ammo, and how successful have people been with repairs, and working with Phoenix Arms?

I also remember the HP22 was one of a few small semi-auto's with multiple safeties and a hammer. I thought this is really good for first time shooters and I have always thought "pulling" back a hammer would be the first major deterrent in any life-threatening confrontation.

Last edited by JayRah; November 9, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

For a plinker, I'd probably spring for a HP22 -- a few folks love'm and more seem to hate'm; that said, I would NOT even consider the HP22 for the self-defense role you propose -- and not just because of the caliber: the gun's reputation is a real mixed bag. I don't think I'd want to risk my life on it. As another plinker? OK.

If you've got to have a deep-concealment gun, consider a Kel-Tec P-32 (which has a pretty good reputation for reliability) and I think it's even smaller than the HP22. I'd argue, too, that the .32 acp round is a much more-reliable round for self defense.

Or move it up a notch to the K-T P3AT or Ruger LCP. There are plenty of ankle holster for all three. The P-32 is almost pleasant to shoot, the other two (P3AT or LCP) are not.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Impreza

I wouldn't shoot it a lot...It is made of zinc alloy which is very soft..I had a few zinc guns.. Jennings,Davis and I currently have a Iver Johnson. I would not get it unless it's dirt cheap or free..Absolutly would not use any Zinc Alloy gun for SD.

I had a keltec p32 which was a sweet little gun...But since then better pocket guns are out there...I just got a Taurus TCP and it's the sweetest little thing ever!
Old November 10, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4
osbornk

I like my little HP22 because it is dependable and accurate. I don't worry about shooting it a lot. It has a lifetime warranty and the folks who have used the warranty have been pleased with the service and results. The only concern I would have about using in as a self defense weapon is the caliber.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
lapetrarca53

No complaints with mine....other than being locked into the "standard velocity" ammo situation which, as if things weren't bad enough as it is, limits your choices of available ammo.

Other than that, it's fun to shoot. I've got both barrels for mine and it's pretty damned accurate with the 5" barrel.

It did re-introduce me to the pleasures of plinking and shooting after a 20+ year absence and at a budget friendly price.

I still shoot it now and again but my M&P .22 is my go-to plinker now.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

My pops has one, he's alright with it. Likes it but doesn't mind letting it go either. My..I don't know what she is right now, I think we broke up..but that girl, she likes it a lot too when she did shoot it.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Dunecigar

I like the look of the HP22. The ribbing along the top is very appealing.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
rmocarsky

My HP22 has been with me for around 25 years.

Barely shoot it anymore, but it never failed to perform.

The frame mounted safety had to be permanently placed in the fire position though, as it got loose and would sometimes slip to safe without human guidance.

Lock-tite.

Rmocarsky
Old November 17, 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
osbornk

I figure my little HP-22 will be with me til I die. It's dependable, accurate and has a lifetime warranty. Other than holding or increasing in value, what would an expensive gun do for me? I have no desire to impress anyone (I don't want a Harley, sold my 2 BMWs and I now ride a Suzuki Maxi Scooter and a Yamaha V-Star). I took the difference in the little HP and a "name brand" gun and bought me a neat little Henry Lever Action 22. It will be with me until I did also unless I give it to my grandson.
Old November 17, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Other than holding or increasing in value, what would an expensive gun do for me?
Nothing that the HP22 woudn't do -- if you're plinking.

But, the original question had to do with using an HP22 as a self-defense weapon. The .22 round CAN work for self-defense, but it generally will work better with longer barrels, and most effectively in a rifle. In an ankle holster, with a short barrel, and .22 ammo's well-established reputation for misfires, I think there are better options, starting with a small center-fire gun.

You're talking about using it in a different manner.
Old November 18, 2013, 04:10 AM   #11
Snowdog

I have to admit that I've had my eye on the HP22 for a while now but can't convince myself to buy one yet.

I typically don't buy inexpensive firearms unless they're military surplus. However, there's something about the looks of the HP22 I find appealing. The price and warranty just about seal the deal.

I'll likely have one eventually.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 18, 2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Walt Sherrill

RE: HP22

At one time, the company offered a special "target" kit (my term, not theirs), with a second, longer barrel in addition to the standard one. I have been sorely tempted, more than once, by that combo.

I have also read, over time, a number of messages praising these guns, and others that were far less positive. With the exception of the SIG Mosquito, you don't really read many complaints about .22 semi-autos on the internet, so to hear/read more than a few is a reason for some wariness.

I've continued to shy away from the HP22, but know that some folks love what they've bought. If I stumble across a used one at a low price, I'll get it.
Old November 18, 2013, 07:47 PM   #13
larryh1108

Quote:
If I stumble across a used one at a low price, I'll get it.
At under $150 new, I don't know what price would make it "worth it".

I love mine. Thousands of rounds thru it and it shoots everything. You do have to replace the recoil spring every 500-800 rounds, though. At $3 each, get 10 and be set for a while.

The are as accurate as you are. There are redundant safeties but in 5 minutes you can remove the mag safety (you tube, etc). They are attractive and just fun.

If you want to have a .22LR as a BUG then this could work BUT it is not a light gun. I believe it weighs around 21oz. which puts a lot of bigger caliber guns in that weight range, or less.

Old November 19, 2013, 03:52 AM   #14
kozak6

A good friend of mine has one. It's severely defective. It's not unusual for it to malfunction on every single round in the magazine. And never the same malfunction twice in a row. The accuracy was also extremely poor. I still wonder what was wrong with it.

If you want a plinker and you don't want to save up $250 for a real .22, sure. Maybe you'll get a good one, and if you don't, the manufacturer is reported to give excellent customer service.

For self defense, no way. .22 lr is marginal, and there are many larger caliber options for the same size or weight.

The reliability just isn't there when your life is on the line. I wouldn't trust my friend's HP22 to stop a rampaging soda can, let alone anything more dangerous.
Old November 19, 2013, 04:27 AM   #15
IdahoG36

Quote:
I really like the size for a back-up conceal/ankle carry.
I wouldn't want to bet my life on that cheap of a gun.
Old November 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
At under $150 new, I don't know what price would make it "worth it"...
For me, as I already have several .22 semi-autos (including several rifles) [all of which are very accurate and reliable], it would have to be the two-barrel version (long and short) in very good condition for a good bit less than $100... It would be a toy, something to talk about, and not something really NEEDED.

As I said originally, it would NOT be used for self defense.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 19, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

Tags
conceal carry , phoenix arms hp22 , semi auto under 400