The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
dtaski

Buying Mini 14 in CO and transport to PA

Guys,

I have the chance to buy a Mini 14 while I'm in CO. What is the procedure to bring it back to PA on the plane ? Or would it be easier to ship it to a FFL Dealer.

Thanks
Old March 1, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Willie Sutton

Cased in a hard case.

You retain the only key.

You walk up to the ticket counter and say these exact words: "I have a checked item to declare".

They will hand you a form, you fill it out, it's placed with the case, and it's checked as baggage.

You claim it at the other side and go home.

You need to be legal at both ends of the trip. The onus is on you, not the airline, to ensure this.

I transport firearms regularly via airline and have never had a problem. Actual mileage may vary.

One more tip... Fly Southwest, they are the easiest ones to deal with in my experience. Might be the Texas-Attitude that they have everyplace.

Willie

Old March 1, 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaski
I have the chance to buy a Mini 14 while I'm in CO. What is the procedure to bring it back to PA on the plane ? Or would it be easier to ship it to a FFL Dealer.
Are you a resident of Pennsylvania?

If so, this is an interstate transfer and must, under federal law, go through an FFL with all the usual formalities (i. e., a 4473, etc.). Since it's a long gun, it could be done through a Colorado FFL. Federal law would require that (1) the law gun be legal in your State of residence; (2) that the transfer through the local FFL complies with the law of the State in which the transfer takes place; and (3) that the transfer complies with the laws of the transferee's State of residence. See 18 USC 922(b)(3):
Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver --

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph

(A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States),...
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 1, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
dtaski

Thanks,

Yes I'm a resident of PA. Sounds like I need a FFL in CO shipping to a FFL in PA.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

As Frank says, you can buy a long gun from a dealer in any state, as long as you buy in accordance with the laws of both state of purchase and state of residency. So you can have the transfer done with a FFL in either spot. You cannot privately purchase it out of PA.

It's probably easier really just to have it shipped to a FFL in PA and do the paperwork there.

If you have a sale pending from a private seller in CO, and if the FFL in PA will accept it from a private individual in CO (it's legal to do so, but some will not accept from private shippers and you cannot compel them to do so), you only need one FFL involved, the one in PA.

Willie