The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2012, 03:59 AM   #1
bshefa

ProEars Gold Stalker Review

After much product comment reading, forum reading, product description reading and trying out models I finally decided on ProEars Gold Stalker muffs for use while hunting and shooting outside.

I ordered them from Amazon. This was as cheap as I could find them when sales tax and shipping were factored in. Amazon had free shipping and no tax. They were definitely not inexpensive (just under $300) but I needed something that would work and function appropriately and that I would actually use. (I have plugs that I use but are difficult to really use when hunting)

I got mine in the mail today and they seem pretty nice. You can definitely hear in the wind without much problem as there is minimal noise from the wind contacting the microphone. The amplification is amazing. They will definitely be useful when hunting. They are so quick and smooth I can't tell when it cuts off... You can be talking and hearing just fine and a muffled report is heard and you can keep on with the conversation. Kind of eerie.

They claim a 25 db noise reduction which is on the lower end of their line. This is in trade for a slimmer design. So far I haven't used plugs with them but will try it. I suspect with plugs and the amplification on it will work pretty well.

They seem pretty well made other than the battery compartment. The door is just the foam from the ear peice. This seems a little cheap to me but the batteries are snug for now. The headband adjusts easily and fits my big head with no problem. The slim design does not hamper shooting a rifle from a rest so I suspect it won't cause any problem with a shotgun.

The batteries are odd. They use a size N battery so these may or may not be hard to find. I see them on Amazon for much cheaper than on the ProEars website, but I suspect I can find them locally if I look.

Overall I feel they are a good buy

Just thought I would share... I did a lot of reading and research before I bought these and thought I might save someone sometime.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #2
NUKE HUNTER

i have a pair of pro ears also and love them. over 6 years old and still work great. just change the batteries(found at radio shack) when you hear strange background noises,like a dull whistle.
use them and enjoy them