The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2010, 07:39 AM   #26
silvercorvette

Quote:
That happened here too and IIRC the problem was mostly caused by the primers which contained & emitted lead, and then they breathed in the smoke which contained it.
I assumed it was from the lead cast non-jacked bullets, I guess i was wrong.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:37 AM   #27
Hawg

You can get slightly raised lead levels by handling lead and eating without washing hands first.
Old October 31, 2010, 09:21 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

Hawg + 1

I have cast round balls a lot. I was preparing an article on casting and so had the lead levels in my blood tested for the article. (I am retired Navy and can get test such as this done without paying for them, so I asked for the test and they did it.

I think I have the notations right as I say that, normal levels for an urban male is 3 to 4 mg/dL. This is slightly elevated and comes from the higher than normal use of lead based paint in cities. The lowest level that raises concerns is 10 mg/dL. Lower than 2 mg/dL is hard to measure in the blood.

Even after a long time casting bullets, mine was 3 mg/dL. I think this is because I use the following precautions.

I use only an electric pot which will not heat the lead above about 800 degrees. (Lead vaporizes at 3100 degrees or so. The vapor is very heavy and thus drops to the bottom of your space very quickly even if it does vaporize)

I wash my hands often during the process.

I ventilate the space, opening the door which is about three feet from the bench where I do my casting. I have a pedestal fan which forces the smoke out of the space.

I get a lot of smoke when I flux the pot. I think it is easily believable that the smoke and fumes might contain some particulate lead, although I doubt, that there is much. I don't use a mask but I probably should.
Old October 31, 2010, 09:28 AM   #29
silvercorvette

When I lived in NY I shot at an indoor range. I would see one guy come by a lot to shoot who wore a heavy duty respirator mask. I thought it was going overboard but I believe in doing whatever make you feel safe.
Old October 31, 2010, 06:09 PM   #30
Model-P

Quote:
I think I have the notations right as I say that, normal levels for an urban male is 3 to 4 mg/dL. This is slightly elevated and comes from the higher than normal use of lead based paint in cities. The lowest level that raises concerns is 10 mg/dL. Lower than 2 mg/dL is hard to measure in the blood.
Just a note:

Those would be micrograms per deciliter, not milligrams (I don't know how to make the Greek "mu" symbol on the keyboard for micro either). A microgram is one one-thousandth of a milligram.

I believe ten micrograms/deciliter works out to .0001g/l (one ten-thousandth gram of lead per liter of blood) as maximum acceptable level.

Last edited by Model-P; October 31, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:12 PM   #31
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
I use only an electric pot which will not heat the lead above about 800 degrees. (Lead vaporizes at 3100 degrees or so. The vapor is very heavy and thus drops to the bottom of your space very quickly even if it does vaporize)
Not exactly since lead vapors are emitted at lower temperatures too.

Quote:
...Lead melts at 621 degrees (F). When lead is molten, it releases minute amounts of vapors at a progressive rate as temperatures are increased. Harmful levels of lead vaporization are believed to occur at elevated temperatures above 1800 degrees (F). Only lower temperatures between 700-800 degrees are normally needed to cast lead hobby parts. Most melting equipment sold to hobbyists will not raise temperatures much above 900 degrees. Minimize vaporization by operating melters at the lowest temperature that gives good results....

http://www.kansasangler.com/makeit.html
According to the source below, white lead emits fumes at 400C which is 750F, and Red lead at 500C which is 932F:

Quote:
Lead carbonate (white lead) when heated it decomposes at 400 degrees Celsius
and emits lead monoxide, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.
Red lead oxide (minium) when heated to more than 500C there is release of
oxygen and toxic lead fumes.
Yellow lead oxide (litharge) when heated to between 3000C and 400C it is
converted to lead tetraoxide.

http://www.potters.org/subject77044.htm/
Old October 31, 2010, 09:54 PM   #32
Model-P

Every liquid emits vapors. The "warmer" it is the faster vapors are released. Take a shower and look at your mirror. That "steam" is condensed water vapor, and I doubt you took a 212 degree shower.

Last edited by Model-P; November 1, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:59 AM   #33
Doc Hoy

Model-P and Articap

True on both counts.

It is indeed micrograms (abbrev. mcg when the mu is not available) and rather than using the term "vaporizes" I should have said "boils".

Both liquids and solids emit vapors and according to the CDC, smelting is among the most dangerous of lead associated activities. While CDC was silent on the issue, OSHA mentions copper and brass smelting and alloying (and not simple low temperature lead smelting) which automatically means higher temperatures (1700 or so degrees for Brass and 1940 for Copper) that are easily within the dangerous temperature range mentioned in the "Angler" article.

OSHA does go on to recommend a particulate filter mask for basic protection and other respiratory protection depending upon the concentration of vapors or particles in the atmosphere. I will repeat here that I do not use one but probably should. I would have to shave off my beard to get a good seal and I am not willing to do that.

They also recommend keeping the temperature as low as possible. They also recommend good ventilation.

To the shooter for whom safety is of paramount importance (and that should include all of us.) casting bullets has elevated risks. It should not be engaged lightly.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Hawg

Quote:
To the shooter for whom safety is of paramount importance (and that should include all of us.) casting bullets has elevated risks. It should not be engaged lightly.
I've been engaging it lightly since 1969 melting lead out of a bean can on moms stove but don't follow my example.