The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 27, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Cast minies and maxis in modern inlines

Is anyone else shooting cast minies and maxiballs (solid base) in a modern inline with shallow rifling and a very fast twist? How is your accuracy with larger hunting charges?
Have you had luck with reduced charges?
I've been getting a lot of blown groups when shooting 90-100gr hunting charges under my 320gr Lee maxi and 360gr Lee minies.
Old October 29, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Hawg

I used 90 grs. of powder with .50 cal. Lee Reals and maxi balls with good results, 1:48 twist tho. 90-100 grs is prolly too much for a .50 cal. minie unless you get one with a thicker skirt. I use 70 grs. with my .58 minies, again a 1:48 twist.
Old November 8, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

I'm getting 4-5"groups at 25yds right now with a scoped inline,using 80-100grs of Pyrodex, an alox lubed maxi or minie seated tight onto the powder, and a 209 primer. The maxis and minies fully engrave with the rifling upon seating (I can see definite grooves in pulled bullets) so it's not a sizing issue.
It's ridiculous. I can shoot inside 2" at 25yds with .50 roundball and my Lyman GPR with iron sights. Sabots at this range make nice small groups in the inline, but sabots cost money and I have enormous stacks of lead.
To top it off, I now notice that Hodgdon's website now recommends using an overpowder wad with all conicals when shooting 777 or Pyrodex? WTH?
Wipe the bore after every shot, overpowder wads, paper patching, devices to measure your ramrod pressure.... What ever happened to roundball, powder and a patch cut from your shirt tail?
Now I'm off to find corrugated cardboard,wax and oil for lube, and a .50BMG case to use as a wad punch.
Old November 8, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

Quote:
What ever happened to roundball, powder and a patch cut from your shirt tail?
Still in use. Although I have never cut my patches from my shirt (I like my shirts too much ) us die hard traditionalists are still around.
I feel like a sinner just looking at those plastic stocked modern inlines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accotrements small file.jpg (87.2 KB, 8 views)
Old November 8, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Hawg

Try reducing charges with the minies. I use 70 grs. of Pyrodex with no over powder card in my .58
Old November 8, 2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I feel like a sinner just looking at those plastic stocked modern inlines.
I know the feeling. Those things are abominations.