The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
sne7777

Ruger Old Army 44

I inherited an Ruger Old Army .44cal. from my bother's estate. To my surprise it looks like it was not used but once or twice; almost brand new.
I am new to BP revolvers and do not know the proper load. I have a jug of Triple Seven, .457 lead balls and the caps.
I was told by a dealer to fill the chamber and then seat the ball flush with the cylinder. Is this true or is there a set volume amount?
Old October 31, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good thing is his advice won't kill you but more than 40 grains is just going to be more smoke and fire. If you aren't hunting than any load between 25 and 35 grains and a round ball will put you on paper at 30 yards or it does for me. Find out what your gun likes by starting low and work your way up till you have an accurate load and that is what you use. I like balls too, cheaper than bullets and at paper ranges good enough accuracy wise. Might even be a good rabbit load if you like hunting small game with a handgun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 31, 2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

sne7777

The ROA makes a good heirloom. When you get to shooting it, you will realize how fine a tool it is. It is a treasure
Old October 31, 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
B.L.E.

The Ruger Old Army is probably the best cap 'n ball revolver available. The only thing wrong with it is that it's not a replica of any revolver made during the cap 'n ball era but I guess that makes it an "original".

Most competition target shooters load around 20-25 grains FFFg and take up the extra space with wads or corn meal filler. Without the filler, the ram is not long enough to seat the ball on the powder and even if it was, you don't really want the ball going through that much freebore before hitting the forcing cone of the barrel and the rifling. For hunting, you can put as much as 40 grains of powder in it and still have space to seat the ball with an OxYoke Wonder Wad between the powder and ball.
Old October 31, 2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Yes,

The plunger is to short to properly seat the bullet with the right powder load. So you need filler, either cornmeal or wad.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:14 PM   #6
mykeal

You can download a .pdf file of the Ruger Old Army Owner's Manual at this link.

This from Page 11 of the manual:
Quote:
It is safe to use as much Black Powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for
the bullet. This maximum loading is not usually the most accurate loading,
however.
A good starting accuracy load, using a pure lead .457” diameter ball, is 20 grains
of FFFg and sufficient filler (corn meal is frequently used as a filler material) to
seat the ball approximately 1/16” below the chamber mouth. You may find that
some minor adjustment of this charge upwards or downwards is more accurate
in your “Old Army.”
Filler is not required and can be completely dispensed with if the powder charge
takes up at least 1/2 of the cylinder.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Well I call the ROA a 20th Century Original based on some othe best assets of the 19th Century Revolvers.
Take a look whadda ya think? Does it replicate facets of Rems, Colt, and the Rogers&Spencer?

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; November 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old November 1, 2009, 07:35 AM   #8
sne7777

Thanks for the advice' I did not know about using filler. I have a .54 T/C Hawken that I worked up the loads for many years ago. I'll do the same for this pistol, it may take a while but thats fun of it. Alos, I would like to know if this gun can effectivly take down white tail deer at fifty yards. If so, would the round ball work or do I need bullit type of projectile?
Old November 1, 2009, 07:39 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Good comparison SG. I've always thought of the ROA as a Remington with a one piece Colt trigger guard and back strap.
Old November 1, 2009, 07:47 AM   #10
mykeal

The ROA is capable of one shot kills of whitetails at 50 yards. IF you can do your part.

Shot placement is obviously critical. Tuning the gun to maximum accuracy means backing off from maximum velocity/energy. Shot placement is thus critical - there's little room for error. How good are you offhand with a pistol at 50 yards? Darned few of us can shoot a 3" group at that distance, and that's about the kill zone you need with a pistol.

As far as projectile, stick with a round ball. It will do the job very well at that distance and will probably (you need to test this with your gun and load) be more accurate.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:16 AM   #11
sne7777

Mykeal, you have set a goal for me; also a reason to shoot more. Hunting with this gun will have to wait; there is not enough time to for me to work up the loads and get good enough with it. Maybe next year. Where we hunt is thick and fifty yard shooting lane are far and few between, 25 usually. It's near Oscoda, you may be familar with the area.
Old November 1, 2009, 06:49 PM   #12
mykeal

I'll be at the Iosco County Sportsman's Club Wurtsmith Range on Rea Road, 2 1/2 miles west of F-41, 9-5 most days between now and opening day. Stop by for a cup of coffee. Ask for Mike.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:11 PM   #13
robhof

robhof

Nobody mentioned your triple 7; it's hotter than black and requires light seating, light compresion only. Read the warning on the can or look online. That said the ROA will handle anything you put through it, as they're made of the same metal and standards as the Blackhawk. Mine's taken rabbits and a few stray dogs and I carry it during B/p season as a backup, legal here in Ky., check your state for b/p requirements. I haven't used it on a deer yet, but wouldn't hesitate at relatively close range. I've used 4F b/p in mine at 45gr and it's at 45 Colt power. Congrats and enjoy, but be warned they're addictive.
Old November 2, 2009, 04:47 PM   #14
sne7777

Mykeal, I've been going by there for about 35 years. It was good to see the range there, after the base closed it was just sitting there nobody using it for years.
We stay over at Old Orchard and I always take the long way into town. We'll stop in and check it out.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:38 PM   #15
sne7777

Robhof, thanks for the info and I am going to do my homework before I start shooting this pistol. I know I need a smaller powder measure and to build a portable loading stand. I've seen them on this forum and think there a great idea and simple to build.