The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2008, 12:17 PM   #26
ringworm

i climbed a stand one morning on the edge of an area that borders another property owners field. The owner is in her 80's and in a nursing home. when the sun came up i turned around to see a fairley big buck beded down about 175 yards behind me and a good 100 yards on the other property. i grunted rattled and waited and he never got up. i couldnt see much w/ the 2-8 scope i had on my BLR so i dug my steiners out of my bag and started checking him out. his left hip was broken and i could see blood and matted hair on his rear. obviously hit by a car he wasnt moving.
Now i have shot 3 legged deer before and have seen deer pull off injuries to front legs but this old boy was froze up and i didnt think he was long for this world.
But to give him the benifit i stood up in the stand and yelled at him. he tried to raise up and was in obvious distress in the attempt and went back down. I did what i was supposed to do. I was in that spot for a reason that morning and i think that reason was to end that animals suffering. Did I break the law doing it?
Yep.
would I do it again?
100 times over, probably.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:45 PM   #27
Smaug

Meant to start a new thread. Sorry!

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 5, 2008, 12:56 AM   #28
shaman

i once drove up on a deer hit that had just happened, the little doe had three legs badly broken in what looked like multiple places, one hoof was amputated , multiple deep deep lacerations pretty much all over it.

no way this little doe could recover.

i put my little 1022 in its ear and pulled the trigger twice.

made me sick at heart to do that, but it needed doing.

was little old blue haired lady driving a big lincoln continental.

she said she never saw the deer, just felt the thumps and quickly pulled over and saw the deer in the rearview.

the front right of the car was chewed up a bit.

i figger it hit there and instead of flippin up, the doe just went right under the wheel.

a passing motorist stopped about the same time i did and quickly took off to go call the sherriff.

the poor old woman was so scared and so horrified at hitting the deer that i just stayed there, knowing i might get nailed for shooting it, but i just could not leave that sweet old lady.

i guess i could have been charged with shooting a deer outta season and shooting on a public roadway, and shooting a deer with a rimfire.

deputy comes, i told him i shot the deer, he said, "good job".

that was it.

i went ahead and left, i never knew if the deputy took the deer. even all broke up and scraped up like that there should have been some usable meat.