The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1
mrMONEYman

cold feet......

I sorta have a problem......

when I go hunting, all the hiking and walking I do to get to my stand makes my feet sweat like crazy. I've been fortunate enough to have decent pair of boots and wool socks that sucks away some of the moisture inside the boot....; but after so much sweating, the sock just gets soaked and when I'm on the stand it starts to get really cold, really quick.

so, my question is this....for those who've been in the same situation, any tricks or tips to keeping your feet dry and warm. I've even thought about bringing an extra pair of socks to change when I finally get to my stand, or hiking in another pair of boots and change the whole boot/sock combo once I get close to the stand. Any other suggestions????
Old October 30, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
taylorce1

Two pair of socks, one thin pair like dress socks and then your normal wool over top. Helps remove the sweat from your feet. Most sporting goods stores carry what I call the liners but I'm sure someone will come out with a better answer.

I learned this in the Infantry, wore my Class A socks under my wool on road marches. Kept the blisters away as well. Nothing worse than having cold feet when you have to be still.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old October 30, 2007, 11:42 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

You want a thin pair of undersocks - these need to be pure silk or polypropylene - that wicks the sweat away from the body - the outer layer (thicker sock) is wool - preferably merino lambswool.

Another possible solution to try separately or in conjunction is simply taking off your boots and changing from the sweaty socks into dry socks when you stop to hunt.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4
FrontSight

Get breathable boots like Rocky Deer Stalkers...
Old October 31, 2007, 01:39 PM   #5
piercfh

I wear lacrosse rubber boots all year round with no insulation. I just wear a size too big and put the shake up hand warmers down in the boots before I put my foot it. It takes just a little getting used to, but once you do its the greatest thing ever. I used to get cold feet, but never since I started that practice. Plus deer will smell where you walked with most anything besides the rubber boots.
Old October 31, 2007, 08:45 PM   #6
lockedcj7

+1 on FirstFreedom.

I also get cold feet very quickly once I'm in my stand and I've got the problem solved.

Go to a ski-wear store and ask for polypropylene or silk sock liners. They wick the moisture away from your foot and into the outer sock. I wear the liners and a cheap pair of cotton socks walking to the stand. Once I get there, I take off the cotton sock and put on heavy wool socks over the liner.

Be careful to wash polypro on gentle with something like "SportWash" detergent and never-ever-ever put them in the dryer. It kills their wicking properties.

Also, be careful that your boots aren't too tight. It cuts off the circulation and your feet get cold quicker.
Old October 31, 2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Doyle

Sounds like the problem is not with your socks or boots. The problem is with your feet. I'm thinking you have overactive sweat glands in your feet. Try a good anti-perspirant before putting your socks on.
Old October 31, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Hawg

Foot warmers. http://cozywinters.com/therm-ic/
Old October 31, 2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Capp35

Quote:
Try a good antiperspirant before putting your socks on.
I have heard that also. Spray on under arm.
Old October 31, 2007, 09:35 PM   #10
22-rimfire

+2 on what First Freedom said above. The thin inner sock and thick outer is the way I usually do it if my boots will fit the socks. Changing socks works just fine too. When it's real cold and I have a good hike to my hunting spot, I often take just about all my warm clothes off, frequently down to a tea shirt, hike to the spot; remove the tea shirt; allow the moisture to dry off my bod, then put on the warmer clothes. A small day pack is handy for carrying clothing that you will put on later. I like the insulated Lacrosse boots too, but I don't believe the scent business. Dogs will track you in small game season, why not deer?
Old October 31, 2007, 10:15 PM   #11
zahnzieh

I am allergic to most wool - my feet swell up to where I have a hard time getting offmy boots! Ive had to go to a
gore-tex sock with a cotton liner sock. also I think it is important not to wear too heavy -insulated boots when walking alot. A lot of guys go with the 2000 gram Gore-tex boots - just overkill and will make you sweat and freeze!
try a lighter boot that is breathable and get zip on bootcovers when you get to your stand.
Old October 31, 2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Bonstrosity

I don't know if this will help but try some gold bond foot powder. I used it while playing football to keep feet and other things dry. It might work and it might not. You're feet will feel better though.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:39 PM   #13
mrMONEYman

Quote:
Try a good anti-perspirant before putting your socks on.
Quote:
try some gold bond foot powder
I'm thinking the same thing too.....but do not know any good anti-perspirant. I'll give gold bond foot powder a try and also go with the liner/heavier sock idea.
Old November 1, 2007, 09:34 AM   #14
stevelyn

I do the liner/heavier sock thing too, but you also have to carry dry socks with you and change them out.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 1, 2007, 09:44 AM   #15
Mainah

Try Smartwool brand socks, they combine the warmth of wool with great wicking.
Old November 1, 2007, 10:19 PM   #16
jrothWA

CAREFUL, with the...

foot powder.
It will plug the Gore-tex pores and would allow moisture to pass thru.

TRy loose laces for hiking to stand, as this will act as a pump for cycling air into boot and flushing the moisture away, moderately tighten as stand to keep the heat in.

Have tried Herman survivors, with Gortex and 400gm thinsulate, Red Wing Uplands and Sorel's, still deal with cold feet. Am wearing wool outers and cotton liners.
Use same socks for cross country skiing and have no problem. After skiing will change sock for drive home.
Old November 2, 2007, 10:19 AM   #17
davlandrum

I have to admit I never figured out how to keep my feet warm on stand. I tried all the tricks. Stand hunting with the inherent lack of movement is just a cold way to hunt - too cold for me.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2007, 09:05 AM   #18
nosualc

As a fellow minnesotan I struggled with the same problem.

This is a general problem with cold weather gear. Dress warm enough to sit in a stand (inactive) for any length of time, and you'll be dressed too warm to be active.

My solution is to not wear all my gear for the hike to my stand. For boots, I wear lightweight, breathable, uninsulated boots and cotton socks. They won't overheat your feet, and they're easier to hike in.

I carry my warm boots/socks and my outer layer in a day pack.

Once I get to my stand, I wait a while to cool off, then switch to a single pair of good warm wool socks, pac boots, and put on my warm outer layer. I put my sweaty boots/socks into a plastic bag in my day pack.

I've tried the fancy sock liners, but for me, a single pair of good wool socks and a good pair of pac boots works the best. Somebody mentioned smartwool socks, which I like, and I like Baffin pac boots.

Another nice part about this is I can shed layers and switch to my light boots for dragging.

-nosualc

ps - I always wear my orange hat and orange vest on the way to and while in my stand. How somebody could mistake a hunter for a deer amazes me, but I guess people do, so no use taking chances.

Last edited by nosualc; November 7, 2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added ps
Old November 7, 2007, 04:47 PM   #19
mrMONEYman

This past weekend was the opener for the MN deer season.....this season was cooler than the most recent seasons.

Well, I tried the liner/wool sock idea....and I like it. I bought a new Rocky Gore-tex boot before the season, so at least I knew the boot was good. I found some old dress socks waaaayyyy back in the sock pile. I used that and put on a wool/cotton blend sock that kept me warm. I must say, that this is a pretty good set up.

Quote:
My solution is to not wear all my gear for the hike to my stand. For boots, I wear lightweight, breathable, uninsulated boots and cotton socks. They won't overheat your feet, and they're easier to hike in.

I carry my warm boots/socks and my outer layer in a day pack.

Once I get to my stand, I wait a while to cool off, then switch to a single pair of good warm wool socks, pac boots, and put on my warm outer layer. I put my sweaty boots/socks into a plastic bag in my day pack.
I'll also be going to the WI deer opener in two weeks. I think I'll use this idea, as it might be cooler so I dont want to sweat too much before I get to my stand. Plus, my stand location in the WI wood is considerably farther than my stand in MN. Thank for all the tips.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:08 AM   #20
jrothWA

How did you do? both MN & Wi.

Let us know results.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:49 AM   #21
williamd

FirstFredom has it right .... as taught to me by The Sierra Club mountaineering section years ago. Wickdry and wool.

But, like piercfh I learned while living/hunting/guiding in B. C. for several years that rubber boots, loose enough for the double socks, were my best solution. Used pacs (Sorel) some but found them not as comfortable. Also carried a couple of pieces of Ensolite - one under my feet, one under my butt when sitting! Keeps the cold off the boot soles some.

Even notice that when deer are seen or the ducks begin to come in the cold goes away!!!!
Old November 8, 2007, 07:08 PM   #22
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I wear lacrosse rubber boots all year round with no insulation.
+1 except for the name brand. Bring an extra pair of socks or two.

The best cold weather tip I ever heard was from my barber (actually he's nearly retired now), a guy who was a Marine in 1950 at the battle of Chosin Reservoir. He said to wear several pairs of socks and when the inner pair started to freeze take them off and put them on the outside. He also said that in extreme cold the smokers tended to get frostbite quicker than the nonsmokers.
Old November 8, 2007, 08:39 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

Make sure that you dress warm enough while sitting, but for your walk in, make sure you are cool enough not to start sweating. No hat, jacket off, if you start sweating while walking, take a quick rest break to cool down. A good foot powder might help too.
Old November 9, 2007, 06:07 AM   #24
mrMONEYman

Quote:
Let us know results.
Well......... pretty sums up my MN season.

One more week until the WI season.....unfortunately or fortunately (however you look at it) the wait for the opener is not what I'm agonizing over....

It is where to hunt. I've got several stand locations in some county land, and I've also got access to a private piece of property that I know has some MONSTER bucks.

My father shot this buck off the private property about 3/4 years ago. Last season and this season while archery hunting, my father and uncle saw an even bigger buck with double drop tines.

So, I have a couple more days to ponder where to go....where to go...where to go....and keep my feet dry too......
Old November 15, 2007, 06:02 AM   #25
moose fat

Change into dry socks.