The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2002, 07:50 PM   #1
dinojas

Mossberg 500 Sec P. and Cruiser Questions

I'm wanting to purchase a Security Persuader or a Cruiser 500 Mossberg. What are their differences and will Slugs and 00buck work in their stock barrels?

Thanks for the help. Shotguns are something I haven't delved into very much.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2
mons-meg

I'm pretty sure that "cruiser" refers to the pistol grip option, i.e. meant to be carried inside a police cruiser.

I'm also pretty sure you won't have any problems with slugs out of the Persuader since it should have a cylinder bore barrel.

Jay
Old October 1, 2002, 02:31 PM   #3
Bruce626

Look through the archives here and you'll find tons of information.

One set of strong opinions you'll find here is that a shotgun with only a pistol grip, no buttstock, is a bad idea. If I recall, the Mossberg Cruiser is a bad idea pistol grip only model. I think the Persuader has a full buttstock which is a good idea.

Unless the labels say something different, the stock barrel on those guns is usually a cylinder bore (not choked), smooth bore that will work just fine with just about any shotgun ammo including slugs, buck, and birdshot.

If you can get a really cheap price on the pistol-grip-only Cruiser, go for it and then buy my spare full buttstock for cheap also.

--Bruce.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:18 PM   #4
Skullboy

I had the combo Mossberg 500, came with full and pistol grip stock.It was a good inexpensive shotgun. My advise would be to use the full stock version.It's a lot easier to control.I would only use the pistol grip if you find you really need a shorter shotgun, AND only if you are going to go out and learn the proper technique for shooting pistol gripped shotguns.They can be a handful. HTH. Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?