The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2000, 04:11 PM   #1
Do-Man

Hello all,

I've just joined the list here and there is just excellent information.

I bought a used Montefeltro years ago with 28" and 22" barrels, custom ported and back-bored. I use the 28" for clays, never hunted but itching to try, and had some questions. Actually, alot of questions.

1. What's the 22" barrel for? Deer? If so, which choke do you use?

2. The screw-in chokes have no labels, but notches on the outside rim, ranging from 1 to 5, with 1 being tightest, which I assume to be a full choke, but what are the others?

3. Half way up the barrel, where the rib and barrel join, this white stuff grows. It wipes away easily, but grows back in a few months. What is it and how do I get rid of it? I've tried oil and solvent and neither worked.

4. Last week I wiped off the barrel with an oiled patch and the patch ended up with a slight rust color to it. Is the barrel corroding or does it just need to be reblued? It looks fine to my naked eye, but what do I know.... I usually wipe off the gun when it is handled before I put it back in the closet.

5. I was thinking of getting a M1 Super, but $800 is alot for toy. Since I have a 22" barrel and the M1 and Montefeltro are the same, is there a magazine extension available anywhere?

Thanks for the help.

Doland