The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2017, 10:36 PM   #1
hbhobby

Ankle holster

I am looking for a good ankle holster for my snub 38. Any recommendations?
Old February 17, 2017, 01:13 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Your ankle is a really bad place for a firearm. Too hard to get at in a hurry.
However, a net search for 'revolver ankle holsters' turns up 45,000 sites. This is one. https://www.copsplus.com/ankleholsters.php
Old February 17, 2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Eazyeach

^^^^ that wasn't very helpful at all.
Old February 17, 2017, 10:44 PM   #4
bwcaq

You might like the Galco Ankle Lite. I have been very happy w/ how it carries a snubbie.
Old February 18, 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
hbhobby

I realize that the ankle is not the place for a quick draw weapon. That is why I carry several at a time. Usually ones somewhere around my midsection. Either open carry or concealed. One in my pocket and I want another just because this is the United States of America and the bill of rights says I can and since the ankle is a place that I can easily conceal my snub nose revolver that's where I want it. So I am asking for recommendations on holsters. If you don't want to wear a snub on your ankle then please don't. But please don't tell me what is best for me when you don't have the foggiest idea of my situation. I think my original post asked for ankle holster recommendations not if I should ankle carry. Thank you any way. I too did a google search but I am wanting input from someone who actually uses an ankle holster obviously not you.
Old February 21, 2017, 02:48 AM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Your ankle is a really bad place for a firearm. Too hard to get at in a hurry.
Yes, a gun on your ankle is hard to get to compared to one on your hip. But a gun on your hip is hard to get to compared to a gun in your hand. And a handgun is a bad defensive weapon compared to a carbine.

Ankle carry is less-than-ideal, but sometimes it's the best way to conceal a small firearm depending on your clothing. It's also a great way to carry a backup handgun.

I've worn a Glock 26 in a Galco ankle rig, and it was a great holster, the only problem was the weight of a fully-loaded Glock 26. I'm thinking of buying a Glock 42 for when I need an extra-small gun (like in a T-shirt and shorts, or slacks and a tucked-in dress shirt). I'll definitely be buying an ankle holster for use with dress clothes (I've never been a fan of tuckable holsters), and I'll probably end up with a Galco.
Old February 22, 2017, 11:02 AM   #7
rpseraph

I have a Galco Ankle Lite, it is comfortable and feels secure. I don't find much occasion to use it because I am either dressed to carry a bigger gun on my waist, or carrying pocket b/c I am wearing shorts. But I like it and occasionally use it with a Ruger LCP. Not a snubbie, but the principle is good!
Old February 22, 2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Screwball

Have a few variations of the Ankle Lite (LCP, P938, and M&P Compact), and it is one of the better ones out. Definitely get the calf strap with it.

My favorite ankle holster is Gould & Goodrich. More for duty use, as it laces through boot laces.
Old February 22, 2017, 03:11 PM   #9
TRX

There are two main types of ankle holsters: the ones that ride down on the top of your shoe, and the ones that are held up by a garter around the top of your calf. I prefer that kind. Some manufacturers have an optional strap.

If you're old enough for your legs to swell by the end of the day, a Velcro/elastic strap set is much more convenient than a fixed arrangement.

Ankle holsters are sold in left and right hand versions. Which is which depends on the manufacturer, and whether you intend to cross-draw or draw from the same side. I have found through experience that if you're cross-drawing, the butt of the pistol should point behind you. If you're drawing from the same side, it should point to the front. You might want to experiment a bit with an imaginary gun to see which is more convenient for you.

You *can* futz around with your pant leg and dig the gun out, but for practical purposes it takes two hands to draw from an ankle holster - one to pull your pant leg up, one to grab the gun.

I carry an LCP in a nylon ankle rig. I've seen ankle holsters that are supposed to hold a 1911 or Glock 17, but I don't think I'd want to carry anything larger than a J-frame or a compact/officers style auto that way.
Old February 24, 2017, 07:09 AM   #10
DT Guy

I don't ankle carry, but I gained new respect for its potential when I witnessed a (then) fellow LEO demonstrate drawing one as he dropped to one knee....MUCH faster than I'd ever imagined it could be, and very practical in a variety of circumstances.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 25, 2017, 11:03 AM   #11
David R

Been ankle carrying since 1988. First a sterling 304? Then a Beretta 21a, then a chiefs special model 36, then an LCP, now a S&W 637 (airweight). The Chiefs special made me walk funny because the weight. Hense the 637.

After a while, it's like wearing a watch. .

I will photograph them later today.

David
Old February 25, 2017, 06:05 PM   #12
David R

That is my left foot.

It says Viking. 87. Chief/2

I cut the calf support off a long time ago.

Been using this one about 5 years. No good with boots or on motorcycle.

I have one for semi in a lot worse shape.

David
Old February 25, 2017, 06:46 PM   #13
gmoney

I really like my Desantis Die Hard ankle rig for my G26
Old February 28, 2017, 03:14 AM   #14
DubC-Hicks

Another vote for the Desantis Die Hard. Ankle carry might not be the most ideal, but the Die Hard was the most comfortable ankle holster I tried for my Glock 43. Can't really tell it's there, even after a 12 hour shift.
Old March 5, 2017, 08:18 PM   #15
locnload

I don't have a lot of personal experience with any of them although I have heard from a number of people that the Galco Ankle Glove is a good choice. I will offer you this bit of advice for what its worth, if you plan to wear it all, most, or even a lot of the time, spend the money on a good quality holster. However, if you only plan to use it occasionally, or if you are not even sure if you will like the concept at all, buy, or borrow something like an Uncle Mike nylon rig for twenty bucks and see how it works for you. They work fairly well but you may find them annoying after a few hours. I have one that I use on the rare occasion that I have to be dressed up without a cover garment, so I can carry my G43, or Ruger LCR and not be unarmed. And as everyone says, practice with it so you will be able to get it in play if needed.