The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2017, 08:20 PM   #1
GTNMUDY

Taurus PT111 G2

Ok, this gun has been on the market for some time now and wondering if anyone knows if the rear sights can be replaced with sight that has more elevation adjustments.

My issue is out of the box it was shooting 24" low at 50 ft. Adjusted the sights up as far as they will go and still shooting 12" low.

Took the front sight off and filed about 1/32" off the bottom of the sight and put it back on. Still shooting low.

I could file some more off the top of the front sight, but dont know if will be enough.

Any ideas
Old February 16, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2
gmoney

Your sights should not have been off that bad....! I have one of the Taurus G2 pistols and I shot it as accurately out of the box as my Glock 26...! That just don't sound right....
Old February 16, 2017, 08:58 PM   #3
GTNMUDY

Thanks for the news that I wanted to hear.

The rear sight was locked down and the elevation adjustment will only travel about 270 degrees. I took it off and looked at the screw adjustment and it is a cam like screw that when turned it pushes the rear sight upward.

Now before someone tells me that I am aiming wrong, all 3 white dots line up across the sights. Cover the target and shoot.

I think I will take it off and see if I can add a shim between the cam and the bottom of the sight ramp to get it up further.
Old February 16, 2017, 09:08 PM   #4
B-Shot

Lakeline LLC has parts for rhe g2
Old February 16, 2017, 11:05 PM   #5
walks with gun

It's never a bad idea to have someone else shoot the gun before filing or replacing parts.
Old February 16, 2017, 11:48 PM   #6
BigMikey76

Wow! Just like gmoney, mine was right on out of the box. It is possible that there is something else wrong with it. I recommend seeing if other shooters have the same issues with it before you make any further irreversible changes, especially ones that have a chance of voiding the warranty.
Old February 17, 2017, 04:42 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Try shooting at 5-7 yds and see if it's better. 50 feet is really pushing a gun that's just not designed for that type of distance. At 5yds mines right on with about a 2" group rapid fire. At 7yds it already opens up to about 4", but at 10yds it's all over a standard size sheet of paper. While I'm not thrilled with this type of accuracy, I've just come to accept the fact it's for self defense and 5-7yd accuracy is more than adequate.
Old February 17, 2017, 07:04 AM   #8
ritepath

I normally shoot plates at 15yds with mine and it was spot on out of the box. Same for at least 3 others that I know of. Yours sounds like there is some quality issue either with lockup or the barrel.
Old February 17, 2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Steve1

Taurur 111 g2

I also have a G2 and it was accurate right out of the box. I normally shoot at 10 yds. Haven't had to adjust my sights.
Old February 17, 2017, 03:36 PM   #10
GTNMUDY

Well, I understand all you remarks about out of the box.

i don't have issues with my Ruger black hawk, Springer 1911, Browning challenger III, or other guns.

I am shooting and aiming the same way on all of them. For some reason this one is low.

I'm not worried, I will get it dialed in.

Thanks for the replies.