The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2016, 03:13 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

The experienced still make mistakes . . .

Hi, last weekend I loaded up some 45 ACP (100 rounds) using data based off my chronograph work up. I was using X-treme's 230gn (plated) HP. A few weeks back, I did a load work up using Hodgdon's load data and TiteGroup.

Hodgdon's load data peaks at 4.8gn; so I tested them at 4.4 and 4.6 (OAL 1.200"; CCI 300 primers; mixed brass). I'm only making range shooters with this bullet; so I'm just looking for a decent pop and consistent results.

My chronograph session revealed the 4.6 to go 807 f/s (perfect for a 230 range shooter) and I liked their feel. So I went with 4.6 as the set load.

However, I had accidentally recorded the range trip as 4.6 and 4.8 grains respectively - so the recorded data was .2 grains more than reality. So when I went to go load the first "production" batch of 100 rounds, I referred to my range chrono data and saw I preferred the "4.8" grains (actually 4.6). I loaded them at 4.8 grains.

After loading the 100 rounds at 4.8, I went to go record the load batch in my loading log - it was then that I noticed that my load entry for the test rounds were at 4.4 and 4.6; and the chrono entries (4.6 & 4.8 respectively) were not in sync. (I know the load entry was correct and the chrono entry was incorrect because Hodgdon peaks at 4.8 and I would have never loaded an initial test to the peak level - just not my style; besides, I remember deciding on 4.4 & 4.6 after the fact.)

Yes, I know that my error was not a major one - that's not the point. The point is that even after 32 years of loading, I still make mistakes. And that is the lesson to learn: Experience does not mean you won't make mistakes. You will. One of life's humbling moments - like I needed any more .

In case anybody was wondering, last Tuesday, I took the 100 "over-loaded" rounds to the range and shot them through my Kimber 1911 without a hitch. I didn't chronograph them, but they did have quite a pop for such a fast powder, primers were slightly flattened, and I was getting flash out the ejector port. They were a little strong.

Last night, I loaded another 200 rounds at 4.6 grains .
Old December 4, 2016, 04:56 PM   #2
nhyrum

I feel that experience won't eliminate mistakes, but, will diminish them, and hopefully either eliminate the ones that will cost you your gun, hand, and possibly face, or help you be more adept at catching them, before the danger really comes.

That's coming from my year worth of reloading so........ The worst I've done is charge and seat bullets workout primers
Old December 4, 2016, 05:22 PM   #3
kmw1954

I also do not load to Max because I just find them to Hot to comfortably shoot all day at the range.

I also load with a volume powder measure on a progressive press and enjoy that little extra margin of safety that a mid-level load provides. With all the test throws I've done with this measure I can comfortably say it stays within 1gr of my target weight. Not that I don't watch each case as I'm placing the bullet in it as I do. I also scale check about every 10 cases unless something doesn't feel correct. Then I'll check 4 or 5 in a row.

Trust me, even with the progressive press I am a very slow loader.
Old December 4, 2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Longshot4

Oh yea! You know I think it pays to know that we make mistakes. Also along with that it's important to admit it. Oh how I love to make notes and I never seam to make quite enough in the log book. I would be glad to tell you a similar mistake I made but I can't remember.

I have been trying to get my Son to understand. But I think you know how that goes.

As a former highly respected idol of mine that I met years ago would say to the Goon on the right or the Goon on the left. Make a note of that.
Old December 4, 2016, 11:17 PM   #5
5whiskey

Nick I haven't been reloading any where close to as long as you. None the less, clerical errors seem to be my weakness these days as well. I've certainly made my fair share of mistakes I've made a squib load, charged a couple unprimed cases, and some other stupid stuff on top of it.

I loaded around 40 .270 rounds trying to tweak a load while testing 2 variables. My standard load is already very accurate, but I want to test for a sizing adjustment (was going to bump the shoulder a little less after some chambering tests) and a seating depth adjustment. I had my testing method in mind when I loaded them, but was rushed so I didn't write very good notes. I also labeled the bags with numbers, meaning to write the load corresponding with each number in my log book. I failed to do that. I meant to test them within a week but that didnt pan out.Now I can't remember my test method, can't decipher my chicken scratch shorthand, and realize I failed to write down which number corresponds to which load. I don't really want to pull them now, hoping I will have a recollection of everything.
Old December 5, 2016, 12:23 AM   #6
Metal god

I know what you mean . When I first started I kept notes but they were often in short hand or abbreviated types . I'd go back 6months or a year later and not have a clue what I meant by the note . I now not only keep very detailed notes . I have notes that help explain my notes Wait -WHAT ? Yeah I have color codes and abbreviations like LPP ( loose primer pocket ) SS ( soft seated bullet ) CHS ( case head space ) etc .

Or Highlighter colors like yellow ( General quick glance help in data ) , Blue ( What ever is marked is good ) , Orange ( important info to look for or keep in mind ) , red/pink ( danger , over max , stop , pull bullet etc )

I have those notes on the first page of my data books for reference .

I can't tell you how many times I thought one thing only to check the data and I be wrong . Because of this I try to always check my data book even though I'm 99.9% sure what I'm about to do is correct . I just have to many different loads with different components . They easily get mixed up in my head . Was it that primer in those cases using that bullet with this powder To many variables for my tiny brain to keep up

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .