The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1
TheDoubleDeuce

Granny's Husqvarna Model 1887 7.5mm

Well, dear old granny never fails to amaze me. She pulled a revolver out of her nightstand and asked me to find ammo for it. When I saw "Husqvarna", I thought "This is a strange looking chainsaw..."

From what I have found, it fires "7.5mm Swiss Army", which is interchangeable with 7.5mm Nagant.

Here's a link to the same gun that someone else has sold:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/100360...-99-no-reserve

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, because I didn't know Husqvarna made firearms, but I thought it was an interesting obscure revolver! Anyone know more about this thing?
Old January 10, 2013, 12:08 AM   #2
cnj

How cool is that?!?!?
Old January 10, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Quote:
Well, dear old granny never fails to amaze me. She pulled a revolver out of her nightstand and asked me to find ammo for it. When I saw "Husqvarna", I thought "This is a strange looking chainsaw..."
Over the years many guns have been manufactured by companies better known for producing other products. The Singer Sewing Machine Co. is one of the better known ones. Many times it's due to war demands, but other times it's just expansion and/or diversity. You do know Glock's main product line consisted solely of Curtain Rods for many years, yes?
Old January 10, 2013, 12:23 PM   #4
TheDoubleDeuce

I didn't know that about Glock! Were their curtain rods striker fired too? I guess it would be difficult designing a holster for concealed carry of a curtain rod...

I knew Remington made typewriters and sewing machines, and other companies like IBM and GM made firearms, but not Husqvarna.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:31 PM   #5
ncpatriot

Looks like a decent gun & the one illustrated is a good price too. Have you found her any ammo yet? How expensive is it?
Old January 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
mete

There is a website out there that lists all the rifles, shotguns , and pistols made by Husqvarna .This goes back well into the 1800s !! A long list !
Old January 10, 2013, 01:19 PM   #7
TheDoubleDeuce

I haven't found any ammo for her. Half the shops I went to hadn't even heard of the round. She also has a 38 special (which is about all she can handle) so I think we may just retire this old thing. I would rather see her with some reliable, expanding, modern ammunition.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
RJay

The 7.5 Swiss is identical to the 7.5 Swedish and 7.5 Norwegian it is not the same as the 7.5 Russian Nagant. The revolver is based on a modified Nagant design, Nagant designs were sold to several different armies ( even South America ). I believe that you might be able to order it from Flocchi, however most shops require a minimum amount before they order ( 2 to 4 boxes ) You are not going to find it stocked on any local shelves. Power level is abut the same as the 32 S&W Long.

Last edited by RJay; January 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Bob Wright

Most of the American firms mentioned made firearms under Government contract during war time necessity. Husqvarna began as a firearms company, as did BSA.

Bob Wright
Old January 10, 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
Over the years many guns have been manufactured by companies better known for producing other products. The Singer Sewing Machine Co. is one of the better known ones.
Quote:
Most of the American firms mentioned made firearms under Government contract during war time necessity.
There are several examples of this phenomenon, esp during WWII. In addition to Singer making 1911s, so did Remington Rand, who made typewriters formally. Other companies who made guns for the US without prior history or experience include International Harvester Corp (M1 rifle), and Smith Corona (03 A3). There were 9 government contract M1 carbine makers if my memory serves. IIRC, only Winchester had previously made firearms. The other 8 companies who got contracts were: Underwood (type writers), Rock-Ola (jukeboxes), National Postal Meter, Standard Products, Quality Hardware, IBM, Inland (GM division), Saginaw Steering (GM division). Also the furniture company, Irwin Pederson, was offered a contract, but there guns failed inspection, and so all of their finished parts and tooling were given to another contractor, IIRC.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
steveNChunter

Never seen a husqvarna revolver like that. Pretty cool. Interesting caliber. I have seen several Husqvarna sporterized military surplus Mausers. Not sure if they were Swedes or what but I'd like to have one.

Last edited by steveNChunter; January 11, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Husqvarna was founded as a Swedish arsenal in the 1600s to make weapons for the Swedish military.

It became a private company under a royal grant in the 1700s, but continued as a military manufacturer as a primary function until well into the 20th century.

It didn't start branching out into consumer goods until the mid to late 1860s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh, and speaking of companies that made other products?

Winchester had an entire line of hardware products.

And the crowning glory?

Smith & Wesson made a toilet flush valve, which is now highly sought after by collectors.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Jim Watson

CotW shows significant differences between 7.5 Swiss and 7.5 Swede.
Ezell says they are "similar" but his photos show that they are not identical.

Fiocchi makes 7.5 Swiss, if you can find it.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Bob Wright

And how about those hand drills made by Ruger, using the .22 auto frame?

Bob Wright
Old January 11, 2013, 08:33 PM   #16
tekarra

Husqvarna is/was an old firearms manufacturer. Smith and Wesson rifles of the 1980s were rebranded Husqvarnas and later Carl Gustafs.

Alos Oliver Winchester was a shirt maker prior to making firearms.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

The ammunition is known as the 7.5 Swedish or 7.5mm Swedish Nagant. It is almost identical to the 7.5 Swiss revolver cartridge.

This outfit claims to have the ammo:

http://www.loadxammo.com/

Jim
Old January 17, 2013, 08:36 AM   #18
ncpatriot

Double Deuce, while I would not buy such a rare caliber, I would keep searching for the ammo & see if I could get it at some decent price. I would not get rid of it by any means. Who knows, you may come across a cache from an old gun dealer, etc.

If you can get ammo, it might be a nice plinking gun & use the .38 for normal SD.