The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2012, 11:39 PM   #26
tkglazie

I do not decap before tumbling handgun cases. Never saw the need. Nor do I clean handgun primer pockets by hand. I decap/size/prime at station 1.

For rifles, its 50-50. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I always check/clean the pockets by hand anyway so it doesnt matter at the volumes I load rifle cartridges.

If you are decapping prior to tumbling, you will need to be aware that flashholes can and do get plugged with media. This is only an issue if you are either handpriming, or are performing a priming step on your press without a decapping rod present.

If you are doing one of these two things, the only way to be sure the hole is clear (aside from a mechanical check) is to look through each one and see light.

As for Brasso- you will get different answers. I dont like the ammonia. Nufinish works great.
Old June 1, 2012, 01:42 AM   #27
marklyftogt

Do what smokey joe said unless you have lots of time to waste doing things that do not matter in shootablility. A little tarnish won't hurt a thing if it goes through your sizer.

Brasso makes cases brittle and Nufinish works great with corn media.
Old June 1, 2012, 05:31 AM   #28
henry-ctc

Citric acid

After years of washing brass I came across the citric acid idea a couple weeks ago. I´ve washed about 2k pcs of brass since then with excellent results. Just a tablespoon of citric acid in a bucket of hot water and just an hour... rinsing and drying under the sun... No, I don´t find myself in the need of a tumbler.
Old June 1, 2012, 11:56 AM   #29
LarryFlew

Plus one for nu-finish with the tumbler media. Even smells the same as the stuff lyman sells for a lot more money.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #30
Garandman3

My brass cleaning method

I use a similar cleaning solution. the proprtions are: 1 cup hot tap water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp Dawn dish detergent. I let the resized and deprimed brass soak for an hour or so, rinse them thoroughly under running water and let them air dry. Using the Lee spinner stud with the appropriate shell holder chucked into an 18 volt drill I trim and chamfer each case. Then I spin the case and polish it with 0000 steel wool. Right out of the solution the brass doesn't look very clean but the steel wool makes them look like new.
Old June 6, 2012, 11:32 PM   #31
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman3 View Post
I use a similar cleaning solution. the proprtions are: 1 cup hot tap water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp Dawn dish detergent. I let the resized and deprimed brass soak for an hour or so, rinse them thoroughly under running water and let them air dry. Using the Lee spinner stud with the appropriate shell holder chucked into an 18 volt drill I trim and chamfer each case. Then I spin the case and polish it with 0000 steel wool. Right out of the solution the brass doesn't look very clean but the steel wool makes them look like new.
Is there a reason to not just use the steel wool and skip the chemical cleaNing? Does the inside of the case need to be cleaned? This is what i do because i use a Lee trimmer and chamfer tool with the shell holder chucked into an electric screw driver. My cases typically look better than new, but it is a bit of effort over using a tumbler.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old June 7, 2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

On another board a former Aberdeen Proving Grounds Test Director and accomplished competitive shooter says tests they did at Aberdeen convinced him the hardened carbon in primer residue and sometimes accumulating in cases, particularly near the breech, are a significant factor in barrel and throat wear. You can read one of his first posts on the topic, here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 10, 2012, 11:55 PM   #33
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
On another board a former Aberdeen Proving Grounds Test Director and accomplished competitive shooter says tests they did at Aberdeen convinced him the hardened carbon in primer residue and sometimes accumulating in cases, particularly near the breech, are a significant factor in barrel and throat wear. You can read one of his first posts on the topic, here.
Interesting stuff. I clean the primer pockets With the Lee tool. I also use a nylon brush on the necks, but i haven't worried about cleaning the inside of the case. I am newer to reloading and i have put off buying a tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner because i have only gone through about 500 rounds in the past year. I will probably make a tumbler my next purchase.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk