The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 28, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Chris_B

Just showing off my 1918 Colt...

...and some other old things. The double diamond grips are new Colt, the pistol is "US Property" stamped

Old April 28, 2010, 06:38 PM   #2
PetahW

It looks pretty nice to me !

Old April 28, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Absolutely beautiful Colt. It makes me cry! Part of where the last line in my sig came from was one very much like yours. Original diamond grips, lanyard ring magazine, U.S Government, Colt horse made in 1918. Through a couple deals I got it in the late 60's for about $45. Traded it for a S&W 645 around 1985. Decent trade at the time. I knew the Colt belonged in a display case, and I wanted something to shoot. At today's prices, I could have several things to shoot for what that Colt would be worth.
Congratulations on owning a very fine piece.
BTW, I also kind of got rid of the Garand I had to, but it is still in the family. I gave it to my Son after he killed his first deer with it as I did mine after my father had given it to me. Told him that his grandpa would want it to go nowhere else!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 29, 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Chris_B

Thanks

The hardest part of having that Colt is restraining myself from shooting it. I have another .45, an Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 that I am considering selling to help fund a Colt Series 70 that I can shoot whenever I like!

I couldn't help myself when I first got the M1911 though. I'll put a mag through it every July 4th, I think, but I had to shoot it once when I got it, just to see

This was my last 8 rounds of 50, offhand, at 33 feet. At 92 years old, that old girl can still shoot

One of my favorite things about the old .45 is it's family tree is so easy to see in another old pistol I really like- my Colt 1903, from 1920. Those are the original grips, which I've stored away. I'm afraid that they are a little soft and I don't want to damage them. I think they got really soaked in cleaner over the years

Last edited by Chris_B; April 29, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 1, 2010, 08:34 PM   #5
PetahW

I never hurt any 1911 much, by just shooting them.

It's when they get dropped, put away wet/dirty, or otherwise abused that the damage gets done.

I shoot/enjoy ALL of my collectibles, and let my heirs worry about value.

Old May 1, 2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Chris_B

Well, there's no recoil plate on the breech face of my M1911 so I do have reservations about shooting it often. I don't want to peen the area around the firing pin hole. No reason to abuse the old horse