The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 03:48 AM   #1
bswiv

Test results.......

Had a 20ga SXS with RIFLED barrels built last year. It's on what was a FN 16ga sidelock action. Took it to the range this weekend to see how it shoots with 3 different slug loads.

Shot all 3 loads at about 25 yards after boresighting it so it'd be on the paper. Shot them off a bench but with the gun supported by my hand and only my elbow resting on the bench.

That's the way a Double Rifle is shot so I did it that way. I uderstand that for the barrels to regulate properly it has to be shot using hands only so that it recoils and rolls.

The first picture is Buckhammer Reduced Recoil.
I was surprised as how close the barrels put them to one another. They did not kick all that bad even though the shotgun weighs only 7 pounds.

The second is Brenneke. You can see the shape of the holes is much different. They recoiled more, maybe 20 %. Did not shoot as tight a group but still plenty good for hunting.

The last is of 2 Hornady Sabots. My wife has used them to good effect on hogs in the past. They are about equil to a 45-70 in power. Have a 260 grain bullet. ( .44 cal. I think ), at a advertised 1800-1900 FPS. They had a good kick to them.

After adjusting the sights we set up clay targets on the backstop at 50 yards and did some off-hand shooting. It was not a problem at all to hit them using either the Buckhammer or the Brenneke. Did not use the Hornady for this.

Next trip to the range will involve longer ranges and more experementaion with the Hornady.

What may be dificult will be how the barrel regulation holds up at longer ranges.

Old January 27, 2010, 03:50 AM   #2
bswiv

Ignore the hole in the middle of the second target.....my son in law was messing with me!
Old January 27, 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good on ya, for actually testing what loads work. A couple things....

First, while Rottweil Brenekkes kick very well, the 20 gauge version is up with the 12 as to effect on whitetails,IME.

My guess is at longer ranges, the groups will show the left barrel shooting to the right of the right barrel. IOW, they will cross.

When double rifles are regulated, it's at a given distance. Since most double rifles these days are meant to be stoppers on dangerous game, that's usually close work. I think H&H regulated stopping rifles at 40 yards and zeroed the open sights in for that on the first leaf.

What sights are you using?
Old January 28, 2010, 05:12 AM   #4
bswiv

Using a Aimpoint Micro.

No iron sights on it.

Aimpoint is mounted about 1/3 of the way out the barrel. Lines up easy and allows both eyes open use.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks.

If it works for you, fine.

Keep us posted, I'd like to hear how this does on deer....