The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2017, 09:42 AM   #1
LBussy

Torn: Colt 1911 Anniversary III

I'm looking for some advice/ideas/things I may not have considered. I know ultimately I need to make the choice.

I have a Colt 1911 Anniversary III (roll-marks, not the plated one). It's NIB still with the only sign of "wear" being a tear in the paper that wraps the pistol itself. Even the second mag is still in paper.

I'm just torn on this gun. I can't bring myself to shoot it, but it does not appear to be one that will appreciate in price in my lifetime. I have other 1911's that I do shoot and I love the platform.

So what do I do? Sell it and buy a gun I will shoot? Shoot it? Keep it set aside for my grandson?

When I think of actually using this gun I am reminded that it's a blued gun and will show wear and basically be a PIA compared to my coated guns. Coating this one is obviously not a good idea.

What am I missing in the arguments? What would some of you do in my position?
Old December 6, 2017, 10:01 AM   #2
WVsig

Shoot it!
Old December 6, 2017, 10:03 AM   #3
BarryLee

If you like the gun, don't want to shoot it and are not in financial need then simply keep it as is.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 6, 2017, 12:01 PM   #4
RickB

If you plan to never sell, then go ahead and shoot it.

Obviously, if you're thinking of it as some kind of investment, leaving it unfired will maintain whatever value it has, but you're right that it's not going to appreciate much in your lifetime.

If you want to leave it to your grandson, he'd probably appreciate the gun more if it's a gun that you used, rather than one that you merely owned.

I have quite a few guns that belonged to my dad, and I value most highly the ones that he and I were able to shoot together.
Old December 6, 2017, 01:05 PM   #5
LBussy

I'm not in financial need, it just bugs me a little to have a gun that's not being used. Of course, so far it's not bugged me enough that I want to shoot it. Such decisions!

I don't have a son, so I suppose my grandson will inherit my collection. He's only three right now and they do not live close. Certainly not close enough for him to be able to enjoy my gun collection on a regular basis as I did with my father. I know what you mean about shooting with your father though, I'll always remember.

In the meantime, is keeping it in that rust preventative paper the best idea?
Old December 6, 2017, 08:03 PM   #6
mavracer

Mine shoots great
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 6, 2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy
I'm in the exact same situation. Mine isn't an anniversary model, but it is one of the original 4,000 in the Model O1911 production run. I won't shoot it -- that's irreversible. Once I shoot it, I can't ever make it unfired. So my decision is between keeping it, and selling it. I'm leaning toward selling it, but I haven't quite reached the point where I can make myself do that.

Quote:
In the meantime, is keeping it in that rust preventative paper the best idea?
The effectiveness wears off with time. Brownells sells small, vapor-emitting tabs for rust prevention. Buy a bag of those and put two or three in the wrap with the gun.
Old December 7, 2017, 09:36 AM   #8
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The effectiveness wears off with time. Brownells sells small, vapor-emitting tabs for rust prevention. Buy a bag of those and put two or three in the wrap with the gun.
Thanks, I'll give those a try. Sounds like they might be a good addition to all of my small cases.

For the sake of completeness, here's what I found (I assume these are what you meant):

BROWNELLS - RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS

I also found some of the paper:

BROWNELLS - GUNWRAP™ PAPER
Old December 7, 2017, 09:57 AM   #9
kraigwy

I buy my guns for me to shoot, not someone later down the road.

Guns may or may not go up in value, at my age I wont see value of the investment so I shoot 'em.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 7, 2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I have read that they are good shooters, well made and lacking a firing pin obstruction.
I have even seen some pretty high end customization where a good starting point was wanted and on the 1911 frame.
Old December 7, 2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give those a try. Sounds like they might be a good addition to all of my small cases.

For the sake of completeness, here's what I found (I assume these are what you meant):

BROWNELLS - RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS

I also found some of the paper:

BROWNELLS - GUNWRAP™ PAPER
Yes, the Rust-Blox Tabs were what I had in mind. I know they also sell the paper, and I use that on my modern pistols, but for the Model O1911 I prefer to keep it just as Colt packaged it. So throwing a few of the tabs inside the wrap allows everything to remain original while still providing protection.

I think they should be replaced about every three to five years.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:05 AM   #12
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I have read that they are good shooters, well made and lacking a firing pin obstruction.
I have even seen some pretty high end customization where a good starting point was wanted and on the 1911 frame.
No way would I customize this one ... and come to think of it I already have a Mil-Spec I shoot, I don't want another one. So, in order to make it a shooter it would at least get some sights. That being the case I can probably cross shooting it off the list.

My only two remaining choices are saving it for ... something, or selling it and buying a shooter.

When I was younger I went through a lot of guns. I told myself I would never sell another one which makes that choice a tough one. I guess till I need the money (and I pray I never do) I'll put some Rust-Blox in there and call it good.

See, talking it out did help!
Old December 8, 2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Lohman446

I have been simplifying those things that I own lately and when I pick them up I ask myself a question:

Am I using this for its intended use or will I use it in the near future for its intended use? In answer to the question you are not because you are not firing it.

Do I get enjoyment solely from ownership of this or collecting it? For the record I have whittled this down to no on most things.

Do I intend to pass this down?

Am I keeping this as an investment? If the answer is yes is it outperforming traditional investments? (probably not)

First of all decide what this gun is to you. if you are going to shoot it and enjoy owning it then do so. If you view it as an investment I would reconsider. If you "can't afford" to shoot a gun worth as much money as you see it as worth sell it unless you take an honest joy in ownership for purely the sake of ownership or collecting.

I did read through and find your answer. As long as owning it does not cause you any stress carry on. I still think its a poor investment.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:26 AM   #14
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I still think its a poor investment.
I have no argument there. Colt over-sold this model and I guess that's their right. For right now keeping it (and keeping it safe) is not an irreversible action like selling it or shooting it. I'll simply kick the can down the road and worry about it if the time comes where I ever need to shave down my collection or God forbid need the money.

Sometimes a guy just needs to voice the options and hear some opinions in order to help make up his own mind.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:37 AM   #15
KyJim

I don't have any guns I won't shoot. I do have "safe queens," including the Tier III Anniversary, that I only occasionally shoot. I had two Colt revolvers that had never been fired outside the factory and I was itching to shoot them. Instead, I traded and got a pistol I shoot on a regular basis. It was win-win. I got to enjoy shooting a gun and someone else got the joy of having the unfired Colt revolvers. But, to each his/her own.
Old December 25, 2017, 02:31 PM   #16
LBussy

I thought I'd post what I finally did for my Anniversary edition. I took $1100 for it (about what I paid for it) and bought a new Talo Gold Cup Trophy to shoot.

I think that about settles that.

Last edited by LBussy; December 25, 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old December 25, 2017, 02:58 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

There's one currently on Gunbroker with no bids(dealer in Wisconsin) at $1,195.00. If you paid around that, it has no collector interest. Makes it a shooter.
Old December 25, 2017, 04:02 PM   #18
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
I'm looking for some advice/ideas/things I may not have considered. I know ultimately I need to make the choice.

I have a Colt 1911 Anniversary III (roll-marks, not the plated one). It's NIB still with the only sign of "wear" being a tear in the paper that wraps the pistol itself. Even the second mag is still in paper.

I'm just torn on this gun. I can't bring myself to shoot it, but it does not appear to be one that will appreciate in price in my lifetime. I have other 1911's that I do shoot and I love the platform.

So what do I do? Sell it and buy a gun I will shoot? Shoot it? Keep it set aside for my grandson?

When I think of actually using this gun I am reminded that it's a blued gun and will show wear and basically be a PIA compared to my coated guns. Coating this one is obviously not a good idea.

I'd shoot it!