The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 20, 2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Brancasterr

Best way to store handguns mid to long term (without a safe)

Hey All!

Some of you may have seen me around these forums the last few days. I just inherited a few guns from my grandfather. All much older than I am. And I'm wondering what the best method of storing them for longer intervals might be.

I own a few other handguns that I shoot pretty regularly, so I keep them oiled up and in their cases and that seems to work fine for me between uses.

I don't think I'll be shooting these as often so I'm curious about the best way to keep them in the same condition I received them in. I don't own a gun safe and one is a bit outside of my budget for the foreseeable future.

I suppose I could ask the guys at the range I frequent, but I figured why not ask my new friends here! Besides, I don't think you guys are tired of having me yet

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Brancasterr; June 20, 2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old June 20, 2017, 07:13 PM   #2
FITASC

Wiped down with oil on all surfaces and stored in something like a silicone sock in a cool dry place (indoors)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 20, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I keep my handguns in the gun rugs, or zippered cases. Most of mine are suede leather with wool lining, though I suspect the wool is some kind on acrylic fleece. Prior to putting my guns in their cases, I oil the guns very heavily with my "home brew" mixture, then wipe them down with a lintless cloth.

My "home brew" consists of a 50/50 mix of automotive motor oil and Three In One Machine oil.

My guns are stored in a non-climate controlled environment, hot in the summer and cold in winter. Some have been stored for up to five years at a time with no ill effect.

Bob Wright
Old June 20, 2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Wiped down with oil on all surfaces and stored in something like a silicone sock in a cool dry place (indoors)
Any particular brand of silicon sock that you'd recommend?
Old June 20, 2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I keep my handguns in the gun rugs, or zippered cases. Most of mine are suede leather with wool lining, though I suspect the wool is some kind on acrylic fleece. Prior to putting my guns in their cases, I oil the guns very heavily with my "home brew" mixture, then wipe them down with a lintless cloth.

My "home brew" consists of a 50/50 mix of automotive motor oil and Three In One Machine oil.

My guns are stored in a non-climate controlled environment, hot in the summer and cold in winter. Some have been stored for up to five years at a time with no ill effect.

Bob Wright
I don't know who told me this, but I've been told that keeping them in their gun rugs could promote rust. I guess that isn't true.

Also, interesting home brew! How'd you come by that concoction?
Old June 20, 2017, 09:01 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
Any particular brand of silicon sock that you'd recommend?
Pretty much all the same - I wouldn't be surprised if one company makes them for everyone
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 20, 2017, 10:36 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I don't know who told me this, but I've been told that keeping them in their gun rugs could promote rust. I guess that isn't true.
Dependes on material and whether it is treated with silicone or oils.
Old June 21, 2017, 01:44 AM   #8
JC57

I left a S&W model 10 blue steel wrapped up in a silicone-treated gun cloth for about 15 years (well, my Dad kept it that way after I gave it to him), and when it came back to me it has been in the original S&W box wrapped in the original paper it came in for about the next 17 years. No ill effects.
Old June 21, 2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Bob Wright

Brancasterr stated/asked:

Quote:

Also, interesting home brew! How'd you come by that concoction?
First of all, I think that over the years my gun fugs have become saturated with the oil.

Years ago I picked up a gun from my (former) 'smith and noticed an odd odor. When I asked what it was he told me it was a blend of motor oil. When I asked about this he told me motor oil contains detergents that dissolve/remove carbon deposits that build up in car engines. That also fights carbon that builds up from powder burning. So I tried a mix, and 50/50 was easiest to blend.

Works for me for over thirty years or so.

Bob Wright

P.S. Lest there be any question regarding my "former 'smith" and my satisfaction with him, I hasten to add he (Actually "they" as they were a father son shop.) was the late Ed Mason, of Ed Mason & Sons Gunsmiths. Ed closed his shop due to health reasons, and lated died. His sons closed shop and moved to Florida. My current 'smith is Keith Warner, who worked at times with the Masons.
Old June 21, 2017, 11:29 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

Use grease for long term storage, not oil. Grease stays in place. Oil does not. Then put 'em in a lockable steel cabinet.
Old June 21, 2017, 07:03 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

For storage of handguns, even for fairly short periods, I clean the barrel, oil it with a "mop" on a cleaning rod, then wipe down the gun with a medium weight oil. Then I drop it into a new (hold the mayo!) "Zip-Loc" sandwich bag, squeeze out as much air as possible before "zipping", and store it in a cardboard box (similar to factory boxes) in the safe. (I don't think the safe makes any difference to the preservation of the gun, just to security.)

I got the boxes from Robert's Gun Specialties in West Virginia, but I am not sure if they are still in business. The original factory boxes will usually do if they are available, and will add to the value of the gun if/when the owner wishes to sell them. Labels are standard 1"x 4" gummed labels.

I have used the excellent VPI (Vapor Phase Inhibitor) paper, but it is fairly expensive if dealing with a large collection, though tops if that is not a concern. In any case, I have never had a gun rust or pick up any form of corrosion in storage as described.

With guns, it is almost a must to keep an inventory; a photo inventory is best, but expensive, even DIY. The inventory sheet should include a complete description of the gun, numbers, and markings (sometimes a single marking can add hundreds of dollars to the value of a gun). Keep the master inventory in a secure location (safe deposit box), and update it every time you change something. When you sell a gun, do NOT erase it from the inventory; instead record details of the sale; that is a CYA step in case the gun later turns up in bad company and you want to show it was our of your hands. Guns you buy should also be recorded, even odd-ball stuff not likely to be misused; someone may claim it was stolen and the records of purchase can save you a lot of problems.

Jim
Old June 21, 2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Today, the best storage method is the one used by the military and industry when storing machines, tools, and guns that are prone to rust, and that's the VPCI storage system.

These bags contain a chemical that gives off a vapor that drives out oxygen and surrounds the metal with a protective vapor barrier to rust or corrosion.
A gun stored in one of these bags or wrapped in the paper sheets is rust proof for a minium of 10 years and will last up to 20 years.
If you want to use the gun, you can do so, then often you can reuse the bag or paper by just sealing the gun in again.

Best, there's no laborious grease application needed before storage, and no involved, nasty cleaning storage grease off before the gun can be used.
You can simply open the bag, wipe out the barrel and go shooting.
Everyone who was in the old military remembers the long filthy process of cleaning the grease off a rifle just issued to them before it would pass inspection.

Today, the military uses these bags because it takes little time to get a rifle ready to store.
Since the rust preventing substance is a vapor that penetrates into all spaces, there's no chance of missing a small area and having it rust.
The firearm is good for at least 10 to 20 years, and when needed you can just open the bag and use it.

You can buy the system as complete bags, or you can buy the VPCI paper and special plastic bags at a lower unit cost.

DO NOT use ordinary plastic bags for gun storage. Ordinary plastic bags pass air and moisture and the gun can rust.
The special bags are made of a "hard" plastic similar to the bags electronics are shipped in, and won't pass air or moisture.

Like the military and gun companies have found out, why take chances and waste time with greases and oils when you can just seal the gun in a bag and be confident the gun isn't going to rust for at least a decade or two.
Compared to the cost of a rusty gun, these bags or paper sheets are dirt cheap.

Zcorr bags.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod42749.aspx

"Hard" plastic storage bags:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1154.aspx

Gun Wrap VPCI vapor barrier paper:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1197.aspx
Old June 22, 2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Brancasterr

Thanks for all of the tips guys!

I went ahead and purchased some of these Bore-Stores silicon gun sleeves. We'll see how they do!

http://borestores.com/order_online.p...andgun%20Cases

I'll have to admit that I'll probably be taking these 3 to the range with me for the next several trips just so I can have some fun with em! After that, I'll consider the vapor bags.
Old June 22, 2017, 11:49 AM   #14
TailGator

Those look nice. Sock-shaped ones can be had a little cheaper, if your collection expands, but I like the ones you found.

If you are concurrently concerned with security, Stack-On makes some locking cabinets that are cheaper than safes, but still fairly sturdy.

And if you live in a humid environment and are storing your pistols in a fairly small space, there are some rechargeable dehumidifiers on the market for as little as $30.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:58 PM   #15
scoobysnacker

cheap but effective- cigar box.

Seriously. Not the cardboard ones, the wooden ones that pricey cigars come in. The wood is not cheapo pine, it's closely related to cedar, and has the same properties.
They will often come with little sponges or humidifier packets in them, because if they don't, they will dry the cigars out fast... which is exactly why it makes a good gun storage box. Plus, it will be just the right size.

Cigar shops will often sell empty boxes for a couple bucks (the one near my house sells them for $2 apiece). Find a nice one the right size, let it air out a day or two with the top open (so that it really dries out), and then you're good to go.

Neat thing about them, they usually have pretty nice art on them, and they come in slightly different sizes, so you can get one to fit a fullsize or a compact gun.
Old June 23, 2017, 04:51 AM   #16
b.thomas

I store all my guns in a gun sock after a wipe down with silicone impregnated gun cloth.
A couple of long guns have been stored that way for more then ten years.
So far I've not had one bit of trouble with rust or corrosion.
Old June 23, 2017, 10:11 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, the Army did not issue new rifles packed full of cosmoline; weapons stored that way had been placed in long term storage, and then removed, possibly during the Korean war. During WWII, rifles were oiled, then wrapped in greased paper and packed in wooden cases (10 to a case). Those rifles were often unpacked one day and headed for combat the next, so there was no time for washing in gasoline or digging cosmo out of all the nooks and crannies.

Jim
Old June 24, 2017, 07:41 PM   #18
billcarey

Been taking care of long guns and revolvers inherited in 1971. They rarely get shot and are kept in a display case. Oil on exterior and grease in bores. One shotgun had rust and has been greased all over. Another one I used Howards Feed N Wax on the exterior for the last 15 yrs. I try to pull them out once or twice a year for a wipe down with oil and grease. I live on saltwater and it isn't friendly for firearms.
Old June 25, 2017, 09:27 AM   #19
g.willikers

It's amazing that oil can evaporate, but it does.
The most I can leave my shooters, even well oiled and wrapped in silicone soaked cloth, is about two years.
We do live with high humidity (better half sez it's good for the skin), but maybe that's why oil can vanish.
What ever you choose to do to protect your stuff, it would be prudent to check them once in awhile.
It does seem to help if they aren't laying down flat in their protective wrappings.
Old June 25, 2017, 10:26 AM   #20
Kvon2

I like the cigar box idea mentioned above but how about a stack on gun cabinet or competitor? Significantly cheaper than gun safe(for a good reason of course) and a smaller footprint. I keep silica gel packs and have one in the cabinet to help prevent rust. I also use rem oil wipes to wipe down any metal surfaces before putting them in the cabinet.
Old July 12, 2017, 02:33 PM   #21
hdwhit

Quote:
Brancasterr wrote:
I don't own a gun safe and one is a bit outside of my budget for the foreseeable future.
How many guns are we talking about? You can get a 10 gun Stack-On steel cabinet from Walmart of about $100 delivered. By the time you buy a bunch of gun socks or cheap fabric cases you'll have spent that much.

As far as preparing them for long-term storage, I have the unique experience of having developed a neurological disease that on-set suddenly and pretty much kept me from my guns for 20+ years. All guns had been thoroughly cleaned before being stored and all exposed metal surfaces (other than the portion of the barrel under than handguard on my Mini-14 and Armi-Jager AP-74) were oiled with Sears Roebuck & Co. Household oil. The portion of the two barrels under the handguards were oiled with 40 weight motor oil.
20+ years later there was no deterioration of any of the guns.

Your experience may, of course, be different from mine, but I offer up my expereince as a real-world example of long-term preservation with nothing extraordinary.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:46 PM   #22
Tinbucket

Stored in ac environment. Our closets have vents for heat pump intake and output. Pretty good size walk ins.
For security, a secret wall does wonders unless the perp knows about it.
Good gun safes behind secret wall and they will be around for your Grand kids.
Fire is another item expensive to deal with, for me anyway. Fireproof gun safes cost considerably more.
Insurance is expensive and you may get back their value but you will never replace them for that if the guns are quality and semi or rare.
I'm too old and broken to do what I want to and what should be done.
If you have your home built make provision , for a environmentally protected, or conditioned area safe by concealment, safe from fire and water, and safe from thives if they locate your safe storage.
A rebar reinforced, concrete or preferably triple layer brick like they use to build houses, with strong door and vented to heat pumps, filtered, and a steel door frame,set correctly with steel door and very good locks, behind a false wall . Make it big enough for all valuables and gun and hobby supplies, bathroom facilities and telephone etc.
Could even be your tornado shelter. Two access points though.
Old July 14, 2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Model12Win

ALL guns including handguns have to be in a safe at all times when not used. It is an accident waiting to happen. If anything get a lock box and put a bag of rice in it until you can afford a real safe.
Old July 14, 2017, 02:41 PM   #24
themalicious0ne

I have had great luck with Crown Royal bags. You know the purple sacks that Crown Royal comes in. I have no idea what material they are and they don't offer much in terms of protection from bangs.

My Grandpa gave me some of his old guns that had not been pulled out in at least 30 years in a closet, in those sacks and they were pristine. So that is what I use. I also don't have to spend money on gun socks then.

One of those guns is celebrating its centennial, M1917. It's in 90+% condition and people hound after me for it. If it worked for him, then it works for me. Definitely follow the grease and/or oil advice. I use oil, but if I stored long long term, it would be grease.
Old July 16, 2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Siggy-06

Covered in cosmoline next to a mosin nagant.