The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 31, 2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Tibult

Ruger SP101

Traded an M&P 9 for a Ruger SP101 357 mag with 2 inch barrel.
At first I was having issues hitting the target but once I got used to the trigger the shots got tight and were close to bulls-eye at 5 yards. I was having binding issues with trigger called Ruger they told me to clean the revolver and after cleaning it no more trigger binding. I was shooting both 38 special and 357 mag through it and it was very dirty. Im shooting again on Friday only with 357 and it should be flawless. This revolver was more comfortable to shoot with 125 grain 357 mags then 442 Air-weight with 38 specials. This revolver makes me proud of how robust and well made it is. Tell me your guy's experience with them.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:17 PM   #2
Armybrat

Bought mine new in 1993 and have never had a problem with it. They are nice well made little guns with a big bang.

Old January 31, 2017, 10:54 PM   #3
CDR_Glock

Love how stout the gun is. It would cause shock waves in my stall at the range. I never should have traded mine off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 31, 2017, 11:49 PM   #4
lefteye

I've had an SP 101 for many years. It is "stout." Very strong and accurate for such a short revolver.
Old February 1, 2017, 01:45 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

I got one two weeks ago with the 3"bbl. I put an XS big dot on it and it shot great groups, but all were low. Ordered the standard dot and it shoots POA with most loads. Shooting two cylinders at 25 yards double action I got nine shots in 3.8" and a "flyer" to 4.4". It shoots good enough to use for deer hunting if I wanted to use it for that. I don't, I got it for a woods walking gun in bear country. I'm shooting it with Hornady XTP JHP 180g and a full charge of WW296. It's manageable even with that load...with the Hogue monogrip I put on it. Oh yeah, also put a Wolf spring kit in it and it's 8lb DA and 2 3/4 SA. It's a very good woods gun.
Old February 1, 2017, 10:37 AM   #6
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
This revolver was more comfortable to shoot with 125 grain 357 mags then 442 Air-weight with 38 specials.
I also have the SP101 except the DAO. I too find it more comfortable to shoot than my 442 & 638. A little heavy for its size, but a well built reliable revolver.
Old February 1, 2017, 06:35 PM   #7
swissfist

Ive owned 2 of them, 357 and 38 special. Traded the 357 for a first generation Vaquero in 44 Magnum, the 38 got traded for a Ak. And I WILL buy another because they are really sweet shooters. Full house loads all day long. And there is nothing like Ruger's engineering and design. Excellent CCW choice as well. Even with 5 shots, never felt out gunned. . Enjoy it often.
Old February 1, 2017, 06:55 PM   #8
Hoppy

Headed out soon.... to pick up the sp101 I won at a gun bash on Saturday!

Can't wait to get it and get it out to shoot!
Old February 1, 2017, 09:32 PM   #9
Longhorn1986

I bought my wife an SP101 a couple Christmases ago. After bringing it home, we found it had the single worst trigger I have ever personally experienced! I dry fired it over 1,000 times (no exaggeration) and it did very little to improve it. Finally, we took it to the local gunsmith and he was able to improve it to a decent level. That said, it is still no where near as smooth as the trigger in either my S&W Model 60 nor my Model 65. Rugers might be exceptionally rugged, but they are not even close in refinement to the S&W. I'm not a S&W fanboy nor a Ruger hater. We own and shoot both.
Old February 1, 2017, 09:40 PM   #10
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I bought my wife an SP101 a couple Christmases ago. After bringing it home, we found it had the single worst trigger I have ever personally experienced! I dry fired it over 1,000 times (no exaggeration) and it did very little to improve it. Finally, we took it to the local gunsmith and he was able to improve it to a decent level. That said, it is still no where near as smooth as the trigger in either my S&W Model 60 nor my Model 65. Rugers might be exceptionally rugged, but they are not even close in refinement to the S&W. I'm not a S&W fanboy nor a Ruger hater. We own and shoot both.
Get a Wolf spring kit for it. Really easy to install and it will make the trigger very, very good. I couldn't believe how easy it was to install and what an improvement it made. Costs about ten bucks.
Old February 1, 2017, 10:41 PM   #11
Hoppy

and here it is...

I have a spring kit coming from midwayusa. Glad too because I'd have to ask the bad guy to help pull the trigger. I'm not planning to carry this unless it's along for the ride hunting.

Looking forward to shooting it. It's .357
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp101.jpg (200.1 KB, 1821 views)

Last edited by Hoppy; February 1, 2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added caliber
Old February 2, 2017, 04:25 PM   #12
TraumaRN

One of my CCW with Crimson Trace grips and Meprolight night site. It shoots POA with 145 grain Silvertips @10 yr. combat distance. I had the bobbed hammer version (loaned to my Father) and it handled hot loaded 125 .357 magnums with ease.
Old February 2, 2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Longhorn1986

Quote:
Get a Wolf spring kit for it. Really easy to install and it will make the trigger very, very good. I couldn't believe how easy it was to install and what an improvement it made. Costs about ten bucks.
Already done. It still isn't on par with the Smith though. That isn't to say that it's not a very good revolver though. I'd carry it with no reservations if I didn't have the S&W.
Old February 2, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14
Doc Holliday 1950

Before I bought my Glock 19 last month, my carry was the Ruger 357 magnum 2.25". I changed the grips to Houges and it handled 357 mag 125 grains easily.
Usually I used 38 spec P+ Hornady or Gold Dots. Got a bit worried having 5 shots vs. 15 hence the Glock. If things calm down maybe I'll go back to my Ruger.

Doc
Old February 2, 2017, 08:20 PM   #15
BlackLabsMatter

I found my GP100's trigger so-so out of the box. I wasted money on the Wolff Spring kit before disassembling and polishing the action. The trigger wound up smoother than my old S&Ws. Dropped the factory springs back in.

Polishing the internals was quick and easy due to the ingeniously efficient design of Ruger's revolvers.

My S&Ws always required more work. Dropped cranes, sheared firing pins, and stretched frames. They always made me doubt, they had to be babied.

To be fair, I have no experience with newer Smiths. They were all older than me. And the only experience I have with old Rugers are their SAs.
Old February 2, 2017, 10:15 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

I forgot that when I first bought my SP101 Ruger, my DA was horrible and the cylinder latch was impossible to open. I called Ruger and explained what my problems were and they gave me a label and I sent it back to Ruger.

One week later it was sent back and the DA was excellent(within Ruger's specs) and the cylinder latch issue was totally fixed.

If I use 38 sp. P+'s then I have negligible recoil and my follow-up shots are
quite fast. If I use 357 mag ammo, my follow-ups are slower. I found that my accuracy was excellent after a few trips to my range. I really like the weight vs the ultra lites. I have absolutely no use for them.

When using the Ruger as my carry I have 2 speed loaders. One has 38's in it and the other 357 mags. One goes in my left pants pocket and the other in the right pants pocket so I don't get confused.

Doc
Old February 3, 2017, 07:47 PM   #17
bodrika

Besides switching out hammer and trigger return springs, the two best improvements to an SP101 trigger without getting into a heavy polish job is to clean out the trigger return spring channel with a drill bit (gently by hand), and smoothing the edges and surfaces of the hammer spring strut.
Old February 4, 2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Legionnaire

Love mine. Bought it second-hand years ago for $250. Hadn't been shot much. I put in some Wolff springs, polished it up here and there, added a front night sight (Meprolight), grip inserts by 41Magnum ... sweet shooter!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp101.jpg (124.6 KB, 1613 views)
Old February 4, 2017, 08:28 PM   #19
Hoppy

Legionnaire, beautiful! I like those grip inserts. Mine are so dark, it's hard to tell they are wood.

I just finished polishing the internals and adding reduce power springs to mine. What a difference. My wife couldn't pull the trigger with one finger before. She thinks it runs great now.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:09 AM   #20
tallball

Here is mine. The DA trigger is kind of stiff. Other than that it's a nice revolver.

Old February 5, 2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Vet66

Ruger SP 101's are super rugged revolvers, I have a 2 1/4" in 357 and a 3" in
9 mm. both are accurate with good triggers.

Old February 5, 2017, 10:52 AM   #22
smee78

I like my SP101 but mine is a little different, it is 32H&R. I bought it used and bought a Wolff spring kit but have not installed it yet. I wanted to get a good base line before doing any changes, so far I am impressed and plan to keep it.
Old February 8, 2017, 05:55 AM   #23
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I like my SP101 but mine is a little different, it is 32H&R.
I've got one of these and love it. Just as the .327 version is now near .357 power levels as a six-shooter, the old .32 H&R magnum version is about .38 special power levels as a six-shooter. It was a great idea that, like the current one, faced some unfortunate market-penetration problems. It's still a handy gun but having the .327s means it never sees the light of day.

Curiously, the workmanship on my old SP101 in .32 H&R magnum seems better than on my new one in .327. It locks up tighter. The old trigger is smoother, even after I had professional work done on the new one. (The new one's muzzle needed to be recrowned too.) One of these days, I'll get around to converting the old one.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:04 AM   #24
75218ron

I have a 38 sp. snub nose double action only, with commander style hammer.
Old February 8, 2017, 11:11 AM   #25
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I have a 38 sp. snub nose double action only, with commander style hammer.
?????
any pics?
Why is it DAO if it has a hammer?
And by commander style hammer, do you mean rounded bobbed hammer, or is it a skeleton hammer?