The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Borgli

M1 Garand 308 to 30-06? What do I need?

Hi!

I just got an M1 Garand chambered in 308. I found a 30-06 barrel for sale on brownells. Can I just have a gunsmith change out the barrels and call it good or will it require more work? From what I read 308 M1s are converted from. 30-06 anyways? (except the tanker)
Old December 14, 2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Orlando

it depends, is it a Italian 308 that is 1/2 inch shorter? If so no.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Mobuck

I'm no Garand expert but I do understand that some were converted by the expedient of a chamber insert and little else. There may also have been some modification to the op-rod and feed. Not every gunsmith has the experience to mess with the Garand especially if you have any intentions of keeping the original looks.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:56 AM   #4
agtman

Quote:
I just got an M1 Garand chambered in 308. I found a 30-06 barrel for sale on brownells. Can I just have a gunsmith change out the barrels and call it good or will it require more work? From what I read 308 M1s are converted from. 30-06 anyways? (except the tanker)
Congrats on your M1 Garand.

Your 'smith, if he's competent and set up to do it, should be able to re-barrel your M1 to 30-06. Make sure he checks that the chamber specs are correct and gauges headspace before shooting it.

M1s can be had in either .308/7.62 or the traditional '06 chambering. CMP sells a line of .308 "Special" M1s built on an in-spec USGI receiver and other GI parts but which use a commercial .308 barrel from Criterion.

On the "Tankers," which are slightly shorter (18") M1s with a modified op rod, those have been made in both chamberings. I have one in 7.62. In fact, the barrel is stamped "7.62," not ".308," but it shoots both cartridges quite well. Fulton Armory still makes these, denoting them as "T-26 Tankers":

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultona...1-1-1-1-2.aspx

Finally, there's another M1 variant called the Mini-G. That's a 16.1" Garand made by Shuff's Parkerizing. It uses a shortened op rod, Wolff XP op rod spring and an adjustable gas plug. Shuff's builds these in '06, .308, or .35Whelen. I have Mini-Gs in both '06 and .308.

Just FYI, here's an informational link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYJacucucQ

Last edited by agtman; December 14, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:49 AM   #5
DMK

I had my CMP Garand converted from 30-06 to .308 by Dean @ Dean's Gun Restorations.

All that was involved was a .308 chambered barrel and an optional block in the magazine (to prevent the longer 30-06 round from fitting in the mag).

To switch back it's just a matter of swapping barrels and removing the mag block.

Last edited by DMK; December 14, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old December 14, 2017, 09:44 AM   #6
smee78

The real question is why do you want to swap it back? It is usually cheaper to sell this gun and buy what you want or find someone to trade.
Old December 14, 2017, 11:15 AM   #7
skywag

That's surprising!

On this forum, you'd think that the ONLY good conversion would be to 6.5mm Creedmoor.
Old December 14, 2017, 11:26 AM   #8
RickB

While perusing Firearms News (fka Shotgun News), I saw that SARCO, or similar, was selling Garand handguards that had been converted from .308 to .30-06, with an almost invisible seam where material had been added?
I don't know where the material was added, or why they were shortened, or whatever change had to be made for .308 use, but it left me thinking that the conversion is more than internal.
Old December 14, 2017, 11:55 AM   #9
kraigwy

The Garand if probable one of the easiest rifles to rebarrel. Unless the action has been modified changing the barrel is the only change necessary.

They normally come short chambered which would require a pull through reamer.

Of course you will need a vice to hold the action and a barrel wrench for the barrel.

Tighten it up and to to long (6-8 inch) rods. Lay one of the flats of the reciever where the rear sight goes. One of the flat for the front sight, screw on the barrel, lay on the rods and eye ball them until the are parallel with each other. This will line of the gas vent and sights.

Strip the bolt. Using the finish "pull through" reamer to finish the short chamber. After installing the reamer in the chamber and attached to the rod and use the bolt to push the reamer in the action. Lay your forefinger on the bolt lug, and with light pressure push down (on the lug) as you turn the reamer. Use cutting oil. Dont use excessive pressure pushing the bolt in. You can tell its chambered when the locking lug with light finger pressure falls into battery.

Go slow, and clean the chips out of the reamer often, and re-apply cutting flood.

If this is done, as I mentioned with light finger pressure you shouldnt have to worry about headspace but I recommend checking with a go and no go gage just to be safe.

If on has the new '06 barrel fine, but if one doesnt and wishes to re-chamber the 308 barrel its best to remove the barrel from the action, and ream in until its a few thousands short, the finish chambering is as mentioned above.

As with any gun smithing project the trick is GO SLOW.

My finish M1 I built at the CMP Advanced Maint. Clinic.

Results of my first string out of the above rifle, using the Greek Surplus M2 ball ammo.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 14, 2017, 01:56 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...a chamber insert and little else..." USN tried that in the mid 50's. Didn't work. The inserts tended to come out, without notice, upon extraction. Gave 'em a bunch of odd looking empties.
"...308 M1s are converted..." Some are. Some are not. Don't think there's any advantage to putting an '06 barrel on in place of a .308. Absolutely none if you're thinking about using milsurp ammo. Even the CMP has none of that.
"...vice to hold the action and a barrel wrench for the barrel..." Other way 'round. Barrel vise. Action wrench and that must be the correct action wrench or you'll twist the receiver into an oddly shaped paper weight. Barrel has to be installed correctly so it's indexed properly.
Old December 24, 2017, 08:57 AM   #11
BWM

I like the 308 it is a more accurate round that the 30.06.
Old December 26, 2017, 10:57 PM   #12
jrothWA

I went from Cal.30, to 7.62mmNATO with a spare M1, all it took was barrel, [Douglas short-chambered} fittied to barrel and Bruce Wolford asking what head-space?

I replied 7.62 NATO minimum, have been pleasantly pleased with results.

Did not use the spacer, as I had a sight cover lasered engraved with: "7.62mm
NATO "

Unscrew the present barrel and install new and cut the head-space, you are done.
Old December 27, 2017, 06:24 AM   #13
Model12Win

I'd love a .308 Garand. Shells are a lot cheaper for it. I know all true Garanders reload, though, making it a moot point. They will remind you of this incessantly when your bring it up.